All-Star Cheer Athletics (questions/rumors)

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

This is such helpful info. My CP is outgrowing her gym...this is her 4th season there...and she wants to go to CA. It is a 2.5 hour drive one way for us without traffic. She is extremely dedicated and passionate. That being said, she is 9 (10 in March). I worry about traveling that far at such a young age. She is very mature, an extremely hard worker, has a full and has been on a flyer on a J3 team for two years now. She wants a team who will share in her passion and be 100% committed 100% of the time. Penny for your thoughts?!?!?
I started the crazy commute when cp was 9. Cp is turning 15 next month. She practices 3x a week... tues, thur, sunday. We leave at 3 pm for a 7 pm practice. We get home around 12-12:30.
My advice to you is to wait. I am exhausted! This has been an amazing rewarding experience but also has completly monopolized my entire familys life. Cp can not participate in any school sports or clubs. I can not have a real job. My husband only lays his eyes on his daughter 3 days a week.
Cp is driven and an bonors student but as she gets older it is getting harder and harder to maintain her high grades.
I totally understand outgrowing your gym... thats why we do what we do but I really wished I would have waited until she was at least 12.
CP may not be burned out by I sure am!

This is such helpful info. My CP is outgrowing her gym...this is her 4th season there...and she wants to go to CA. It is a 2.5 hour drive one way for us without traffic. She is extremely dedicated and passionate. That being said, she is 9 (10 in March). I worry about traveling that far at such a young age. She is very mature, an extremely hard worker, has a full and has been on a flyer on a J3 team for two years now. She wants a team who will share in her passion and be 100% committed 100% of the time. Penny for your thoughts?!?!?

Just make sure if you decide to drive 2.5 hours, her perception of what it is going to be like isn't going to disappoint her. There are kids, often extremely gifted, that expect everyone to be as passionate, driven and talented as they are and when they aren't, it can be huge source of frustration and anger. If her reasoning for wanting to go is actually "wanting a team that is 100% committed, 100% of the time" I wouldn't drive 2.5 hours for a concept that doesn't exist and is guaranteed to disappoint her. If she wants a gym that has more team level options, success or more experienced staff, etc. those are expectations that can be met.

Just make sure if you decide to drive 2.5 hours, her perception of what it is going to be like isn't going to disappoint her. There are kids, often extremely gifted, that expect everyone to be as passionate, driven and talented as they are and when they aren't, it can be huge source of frustration and anger. If her reasoning for wanting to go is actually "wanting a team that is 100% committed, 100% of the time" I wouldn't drive 2.5 hours for a concept that doesn't exist and is guaranteed to disappoint her. If she wants a gym that has more team level options, success or more experienced staff, etc. those are expectations that can be met.

This is gold level advice!!!

It rings true fpr anyone looking to make a move, even at the lower levels. (Maybe even more strongly at the lower levels, because you still run into some kids who are "trying out cheer" at the local gym...and they have no idea that the place just won NCA or Worlds-lol!) CP's team is a mix of the two. Seasoned kids who are making the 1-2 hour drive to find a forever home for cheer, and others are just checking the sport out for the first time. It can get frustrating, but it has to be expected.

Is there other gyms in closer proximity that offer high level teams? I would imagine you're in Texas, which is brimming with talent. I think that switching might be a good idea, but after a few years of doing that drive, it might get exhausting, especially when she's older. Try taking a look at other gyms in the area, like I said, Texas is full of great allstar gyms. Maybe they're not as well-known, but there are some really amazing small gyms there.

Is there other gyms in closer proximity that offer high level teams? I would imagine you're in Texas, which is brimming with talent. I think that switching might be a good idea, but after a few years of doing that drive, it might get exhausting, especially when she's older. Try taking a look at other gyms in the area, like I said, Texas is full of great allstar gyms. Maybe they're not as well-known, but there are some really amazing small gyms there.

There is one gym close to us but they have a reputation of winning at any cost (illegal athletes)...so that isn't the gym for us. There is another good one about an hour and a half away, but cp would rather go to CA. So my thought is, if I'm already driving an hour and half, why not just go where she really wants. I will certainly talk with her about her expectations, that is great advice. Thank you.

There is one gym close to us but they have a reputation of winning at any cost (illegal athletes)...so that isn't the gym for us. There is another good one about an hour and a half away, but cp would rather go to CA. So my thought is, if I'm already driving an hour and half, why not just go where she really wants. I will certainly talk with her about her expectations, that is great advice. Thank you.
No problem and good luck! I know how hard it can be to find a gym that fits all of your needs.

Hmm see what you're saying... but 1.5 seems easier for sure than 2.5. Maybe do pretend runs to both on different days and see how you feel about the drive. Also go to open gym at the closer gym and see what you both think.

What area are you in TX? if you dont mind me asking.

Sorry; my finger must have pressed something on my phone. Newbie here reading through the threads. My bad.
Haha no problem...I figured it was either a mistake, or I needed to recalibrate my sarcasm setting [emoji6]

Back