Cheer Dad Looking For Help For My Daughter

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

jmk

Jul 12, 2014
Hello,
I don't really know where to start, I am new to this forum and I will be searching and reading through posts to help educate myself on cheerleading.

I was hoping some of you experienced people can help me. My daughter is going to be a Junior in High School next year, she has been a varsity cheerleader (flyer) her freshman and sophmore year. She has been involved in cheerleading since she was 4 and has always been a flyer. She loves it and wants to cheer in college. I am told by others that she is very good (i think so too) but I am not one of those parents that want anything handed to my kids, you have to earn it. Anyway the reason for my post is I do not know how to help her get to the next level. Her high school team is not very good but she loves her school. Her bases are young so they do not stunt that much. My daughter has much of her tumbling accomplished, does strength and conditioning, her flying and stunting ability is far beyond her team. So what do I do to get her to be able to be at her fullest potential? And help her get prepared for college?

Thank You, I hope this makes sense. I look forward to your advise.

If she's not wanting to change teams, look into stunting and tumbling privates, they might be a little pricy but I say they are well worth it and sound like they would help a lot

Couple of things

1 go ahead and get your other 2 posts in so the 72 hours can start and you can post in the other forums

2 you'll want to join the parents forum because most parents don't read in newbies. Start a conversation with @SharkDad and he can get that done

3 hope that helps.

The Fierce Board: more debates than USASF has divisions but only barely

I'd suggest getting her into allstar cheerleading for her junior & senior year. She'll learn to fly & compete more at her level, improve her tumbling, get even more conditioned, and make friends & meet great people most likely. Look into where you live and what gyms are good in your location. It can be a little expensive but it's worth it in the end, especially with what skills your daughter will learn and you'll love seeing how much & how fast she improves. Depending on what state you live in I could advise you on the best gyms I know of in the area. If that's not an option stunting & tumbling privates are Also a good choice.

I'd suggest getting her into allstar cheerleading for her junior & senior year. She'll learn to fly & compete more at her level, improve her tumbling, get even more conditioned, and make friends & meet great people most likely. Look into where you live and what gyms are good in your location. It can be a little expensive but it's worth it in the end, especially with what skills your daughter will learn and you'll love seeing how much & how fast she improves. Depending on what state you live in I could advise you on the best gyms I know of in the area. If that's not an option stunting & tumbling privates are Also a good choice.

Thank You, this is already helping us, we live in North West NJ, right on the PA line in the Lehigh Valley.

I don't know if driving a distance is an option, because many very very good cheerleaders travel up to hours to get to their gym (they go to very good & we'll known gyms, that have won multiple world championships) but if that's an option for you in freehold, NJ is World Cup. They have done phenomenal ( and are in the category of " famous cheer gyms, and are more than successful. If she has level 5 tumbling or even lower it'd be a great place for her. If not you can google " cheer gyms in New Jersey" and find multiple more options but for a dedicated parent & child to helping her succeed that'd be a great choice.

If you choose a local gym that's smaller, make sure she visits the gym before committing ( harder to know if you'll like smaller gyms at first than big name gyms typically) do a private tryout & see what team she was placed on & if it's her correct level, and that they don't rip you off and put her on ( ex: level 2 if she has level 3 or 4 skills) and look into how many national competitions, & big competitions they have placed well in.

There are a few gyms in your area you can look at. The other thing is to look for college cheer camps she can attend to see what college cheer is about.

Please send more money

If there are any college recruitment clinics those could be an interest too, which a competitive cheer gym ( like World Cup) could get your daughter into possibly!

We found a college clinic at Rutgers and we are going to head to World Cup next weekend. Is there one palce that colleges post when they are having clinics or do you have to follow the colleges?

-Start looking into possible colleges she may be interested in. Narrow it down to a list of schools by major first, cheer team second (remind her that she's going for the degree not just for cheer ;). Some colleges only provide Co-Ed teams, while others may offer All-Girl or both. All will have their own tumbling and stunting minimums to try out (keep in mind, MINIMUM......).

-If the universities she is interested in only offer Co-Ed teams, she will need to learn to coed stunt. Private lessons will be needed for this at a cheerleading gym, as coed stunting is quite different from all girl stunting. A local university may have clinics as well.
College Examples:
(COED) "The Last Session" College Cheerleading Partner Stunts - YouTube
vs.
(ALL GIRL) Team USA All Girl Group Stunt 2012 - YouTube

-Take a look at gyms such as :World Cup Allstars, CC champs, Central Jersey Allstars, Cheer Tyme
These are some of the most well known gyms near your area (unfortunately nothing looks super close......). All of them have videos of their competitive teams on youtube, to give you an idea of what your child may be competing with for a college spot. Most of the larger schools with competitive college programs will have level 4 & 5 athletes as the standard level for trying out (standing tuck, running roundoff backhandspring to layout or higher) though there are exceptions (it REALLY depends on the university and who else shows up that year at tryouts)
Level 5 team example World Cup Shooting Stars Cheersport 2014 - YouTube
Level 4 team example Stingray Allstars Frost - YouTube

We found a college clinic at Rutgers and we are going to head to World Cup next weekend. Is there one palce that colleges post when they are having clinics or do you have to follow the colleges?
Follow the colleges & just keep checking their websites/social media. You can always email the program asking about if they offer clinics throughout the year or summer if you are really set on 1-2 certain schools as well.

Good luck to your daughter! I hope ya'll find what your looking for! I wish I could cheer on shooting stars at World Cup, they are phenomenal. Hope to hear what works out for you!

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

There is was a site that did college recruitment camp listings but was not all inclusive and I'll be darned if I can recall what it was. I know @widenercheer (hopefully spelled correct) is on the boards occasionally and might have some info as well.

ETA: there is also a college cheer section here on the boards that could help you a lot as well.

Please send more money

And what do you do when your High School coach does not allow your daughter to go to these clinics/camps because they have team practice? Seems like they are the same time

Back