All-Star Cheer Mom Regret?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Yup.....the HS track coach saw me doing my jumps at a basketball game and immediately recruited me to the team for long, triple and high jump. I hated track though, for our team the practices were so laid back and "do what you want" that I couldn't deal with being around people who spent 110 minutes of a 2 hours practice sitting around talking.

If your schedule allows it cheer and gymnastics compliment each other very nicely. Our cheer gym also offers a gymnastics program. Since we do both at the same gym the Owner schedules everything so that it works out. My girls first love is cheer, but they also enjoy Gymnastics. Gymnastics has made my girls more flexible & stronger. Which naturally helps all of their cheer skills. It works great for us, but it would depend on your child's interest & passions.

When my daughter was 12 months old, I started her in a combo baby dance class. Her dance teacher saw how easily she picked everything up & how good she was at dance & tumbling and suggested gymnastic,so at 19 months, she started in a gymnastic class, which she was also good at. At 3 years old, she meet a friend who did pageants, feel in love with them and started pageants at 3 and was good at that too. From 3-7, she did competitive dance & gymnastic, as well as competing in pageants 2-3 times a month, then at 8, she decide she wanted to try allstar cheer, and just our luck she feel in love with it and was good it also..So my little 8 year old was a 4th grade student, was in 3 competitive sports, as well as a very competitive pageant girl...Our weeks were crazy, with 35-40 hours of extracurricular activities. Mon-Fri, she had practices, Fri-Sun, we were at some type of competition or at a pageant. For years, I allowed her to run, both herself and me, into the ground. And at 16, she put everything on a halt, because she is just plain tuckered out! If I could go back in time, I would only allow her to pick 2 activities.Don't get me wrong, I loved all of our time together. We made great memories & have made some great friends out of it all and to this day, she is good at manging her time & we are extremely close, but all of those activities took a lot of time and money..Learn from my mistakes, do not over schedule your cp or allow her to over schedule herself! Our kids cannot do everything and that is okay! If they love the 1 or 2 activities they are in, then everything else, will work itself out! :)

I agree. I say cheer and one other she really likes. For me I cheer and do Theatre and Showchoir at my school because those are important to me too. On a side note, don't put her in diving. I was a diver for a few years and it messes with your tumbling really bad. Also, typically gymnasts and cheerleaders make really bad divers. Diving is a very slow and graceful activity and you have plenty of air time to pull your skill and land cleanly in the water, unlike floor where you have 5 seconds to pull and land. So divers who have pasts as tumblers wind up whipping their skills around instinctively and smacking a lot of the time (ouch.). Or cheerleaders training as divers start pulling slower and eating mat. Not saying it will specifically be so in her case, but it happens to some.
mmmm thats not what i heard or have experienced. the only thing i had an issue with was the approach to the end of the board. I always want to run! :D

but anyways, it differs from person to person. some people know how to differentiate.

although i have a bad habit of wanting to keep my feet 1/2 way off the mat when im working on standing tucks xD

mmmm thats not what i heard or have experienced. the only thing i had an issue with was the approach to the end of the board. I always want to run! :D

but anyways, it differs from person to person. some people know how to differentiate.

although i have a bad habit of wanting to keep my feet 1/2 way off the mat when im working on standing tucks xD
It was just something my dive coach told me after I over rotated and smacked about 10 times. (You pull really hard, wait are you a cheerleader?) I'm the same way with tuck off a springboard, I stand half way off and I rise up on my toes :D

It was just something my dive coach told me after I over rotated and smacked about 10 times. (You pull really hard, wait are you a cheerleader?) I'm the same way with tuck off a springboard, I stand half way off and I rise up on my toes :D
i alllllways smack on (im not good with the numbers things for skills yet) back pike dive things (lol) and forward doubles because i dont pull fast enough.

i always get yelled at for doing "gymnast fingers" and not putting them together.

Back