Cheer Pet Peeves?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Slowly easing back into teaching privates in preparation for getting back into coaching and was reminded of the following:

COLLEGE HOPEFULS WITH NO DEAD FLOOR EXPERIENCE REALLY CLOSE TO TRYOUTS.

Me: So where are you trying out?
Kid: University of We Have More Championships Than You Have Fingers. In 4 weeks.
Me: So what tumbling do you have?
Kid: I was last pass on Insert L5 Team Here. I did an arabian through to punch front to whip front handspring whip double.
Me: University of We Have More Championships Than You Have Fingers tryouts are all on dead floor. What dead floor skills do you have?
Kid: I'm working my BHS to a tuck.

You need Moses to part the Red Sea himself. Not privates.

Coaches using overly harsh language.

I've always been tough. I admit that. I'm not Mary Poppins.

However, I will never say (as heard at a comp) --

"Your last pass was really sucking it up. Yes you're crying and you SHOULD BE because that sucked a**."

"Are you guys f*cking kidding me with this bullsh*t?"

"What the f*ck was THAT you guys were doing out there?"

I might think "Lord Jesus deliver me from jankiness and lead us not unto mat digestion" but I never would use that kind of language or tear kids down like that.

"Your last pass was really sucking it up. Yes you're crying and you SHOULD BE because that sucked a**."

I might think "Lord Jesus deliver me from jankiness and lead us not unto mat digestion" but I never would use that kind of language or tear kids down like that.

This is 100% the reason we just passed on a team for my cp. The coach was known to call her junior team d-bags and asked them if they were smoking cr**k after a bad comp. ummmm my kid is 8, no thank you.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

SENIORS CRYING.

Hurt? By all means cry.

This is what I'm referring to:

*doesn't pull stunt perfectly in the first 5 tries*
*cries and becomes completely ineffective*

*is moved from center to 2 spots over in dance*
*does the dramatic holding back my cry dance through the entire next full out*

Slowly easing back into teaching privates in preparation for getting back into coaching and was reminded of the following:

COLLEGE HOPEFULS WITH NO DEAD FLOOR EXPERIENCE REALLY CLOSE TO TRYOUTS.

Me: So where are you trying out?
Kid: University of We Have More Championships Than You Have Fingers. In 4 weeks.
Me: So what tumbling do you have?
Kid: I was last pass on Insert L5 Team Here. I did an arabian through to punch front to whip front handspring whip double.
Me: University of We Have More Championships Than You Have Fingers tryouts are all on dead floor. What dead floor skills do you have?
Kid: I'm working my BHS to a tuck.

You need Moses to part the Red Sea himself. Not privates.
Last sentence made me giggle out loud!

Even worse is after a coach tears their team apart based on hearsay, act like a 5 year old by refusing to speak to the team on the mat at awards and not congratulating them when they do receive their award. Seriously, the coach and should be setting the example, not starting dram with a bunch of 10 year olds.

Oh yes! I've seen some coaches behave worse at awards than the kids do!

You have to model the sportsmanship you want to see.

I talk to other coaches, shake hands, congratulate because I want them to do it.

Oh and I don't care if the awards start at 30th place. Even if we are Grand Champs and have to sit through every single one of the placements, you WILL CLAP FOR EVERYONE.

Yes, even the team who comes in 30th. They deserve claps too!

When high school girls think cheering at games and stuff is actually cheerleading. haha
My oldest CP did all star cheer for years and now does HS, both sideline and comp. Actually I gained a whole different respect of HS cheer. My CPs HS has only had a comp team for 2 years and this year they made it to states. I also have CP's in all star. In speaking with a "friend" who is involved in both areas of cheer I learned that the actual "scoring" is much harder in HS than in all star. I love and respect both. Even in "football" season you still have to maintain your skills and more. My cp has been up at 3am to get ready for pep rallies, practices 5-6 days a week sometimes, has to maintain a GPA, ZERO tolerance for any violations in the school handbook, stunting, tumbling, and cheering at football games in rain, cold, and always keeping the crowd going even if the team is losing. A whole new respect for cheerleading was gained for HS cheer from me!

^^^^^^^I think that HS cheer is more difficult in some respects such as the difference in surfaces!

It's always interesting to see girls with ONLY all star experience come into HS tryouts almost freaking out over the fact that they could DOUBLE on springs, but on the court or dead mat, are barely able to throw a BHS.

It's a real adjustment for some kids.

Like, I've had kids literally stand by the mat for 20 minutes in AWE of the fact that they just ate mat on a BHS (when their highest all star pass is a full) because they were not used to the lack of springs.

^^^^^^^I think that HS cheer is more difficult in some respects such as the difference in surfaces!

It's always interesting to see girls with ONLY all star experience come into HS tryouts almost freaking out over the fact that they could DOUBLE on springs, but on the court or dead mat, are barely able to throw a BHS.

It's a real adjustment for some kids.

Like, I've had kids literally stand by the mat for 20 minutes in AWE of the fact that they just ate mat on a BHS (when their highest all star pass is a full) because they were not used to the lack of springs.
My CP had difficulty with trying to memorize 20+ cheers, and she was not used to "cheering" when stunting. She said that trying to pull her voice from her diaphragm to make sure it was loud, then remembering the cheers, and counts was crazy. She did all star for years and u do things on counts. She said that was very difficult. I'm not sure if I am writing it the way in which I'm trying to actually convey but I'm sure someone from a HS team would be able to put it better. I'm the parent that pays the bills, goes to the comps, games, ect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No. It makes sense. Everything has a count, but also has words (if it's a cheer.) If you're not used to doing both, it takes some getting used to.

Cheering while stunting is hard for some girls, too. Ex: They are loud and clear on the ground, but when the cheer transitions to a full up lib, everyone starts sounding winded.

Back