All-Star Cheerleaders Season 2!

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I was discussing this with my mom. The parents and athletes are paying for a service, to be on a team. What happens when these kids get replaced? Do they get their money back? Say they paid competition fees but never competed. They'd be paying for a service they'd never get. Many gyms will threaten to replace someone but technically can't because the parents are paying for their child to be on a team. If someone is an alternate, do they pay? I'm just confused by this system

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

I was discussing this with my mom. The parents and athletes are paying for a service, to be on a team. What happens when these kids get replaced? Do they get their money back? Say they paid competition fees but never competed. They'd be paying for a service they'd never get. Many gyms will threaten to replace someone but technically can't because the parents are paying for their child to be on a team. If someone is an alternate, do they pay? I'm just confused by this system

In the case of Smoed, it looks like they're placed on another team. Aly (I think that was her name?) was moved to Snipers.

It's more than likely that kids who try out for Smoed and their parents are well aware of Eddie's policy regarding mid-season replacements before anyone makes the team. If you can't handle that kind of pressure, there are many other teams and/or gyms you can tryout for. Smoed is Smoed because it's full of kids who can and do handle the pressure and thrive on it. Every kid/family is different, there's nothing wrong with someone not being able to handle that kind of constant pressure or just not wanting to, but there's also nothing wrong with Eddie enforcing it on his team. You have to know what you're getting into when you're trying out for a team that has kids literally uprooting their lives and moving across the country to be on it.
AGREED!!

Crucify me for this, but I think it's wrong to just keep replacing athletes all year. Just like the coaches, the athletes literally put their heart into those teams. Every time smoked doesn't win do they bring in new coaches to see how they do at the next competition, no they don't. So I don't think it's fair to dangle someone's heart in front of them all year.
Replacing Travis had to happen or Smoed would have been short a boy.

well if you are put as an alternate and want to be considered part of the team and get all the benefits if the team wins then you'd probably still have to pay. plus it's not like you are banned from training or getting better. it'd be pretty dumb to have someone as an alternate(meaning there is a chance they'd be competing at 1 point) and just have them sit there. Or let them compete on another team and while being an alternate for that team.

I agree that no spots on the team should be safe, but I think it's a thing of whether or not you can handle the pressure of possibly getting kicked off at any given moment.

i personally would love to hear coach eddies ideas and thoughts to this whole discussion. just out of curiosity.

I think that every competitive sports works this way. If you don´t bring it, don´t do your job, someone else will do it.
But because we normally don´t have substitutes in cheer (like soccer or other team sports), athletes need a reminder sometimes that their spot is not safe.
The more competitive the team, the more often you should remind your athletes - especially when there is a lot kids with the same talent and dedication who are willing to do everything for a spot on the team.

I´m sure every athlete on Smoed is well aware of this. If they return or a brand new to this team - they know it before they try-out.

To me it's refreshing to see a coach actually follow through. I know so many coaches with the "everyone is replaceable" mentality but he's one of the first I've seen to actually remove kids not pulling their own weight.

I would agree it was unfair if someone was blindsided by this, but all these kids know what they are getting into when they tryout.

This is a competitive sport. Competitive sports are not in place to make your kid feel good about themselves for being mediocre. I'm sorry but that's a fact. Smoed is the highest level (for lack of a better word, I understand level 6 exists) of cheerleading. At the highest level of football, you don't see teams keeping athletes that don't cut it because "they love football. they really do! the New England Patriots was their dream team and it would suck really bad if they had to be cut!" It's a stretch of a comparison but it's true. Martha Karolyi doesn't put gymnasts on the US Olympic team because "they brought a lot of fun to the team" or because "this one time, 3 years ago, she competed and landed this skill that she hasn't done as well since." This is not lawn bowling, this is not crochet, this is not portrait painting. For many programs, being the 100% absolute best is not the goal, and that's great, don't run your team like Smoed. On the other side of the coin, many teams aspire to be the best, and you don't become the best by lowering your standards, you become the best by doing what you have to do to reach and surpass your standards.

This is a competitive sport. Competitive sports are not in place to make your kid feel good about themselves for being mediocre. I'm sorry but that's a fact. Smoed is the highest level (for lack of a better word, I understand level 6 exists) of cheerleading. At the highest level of football, you don't see teams keeping athletes that don't cut it because "they love football. they really do! the New England Patriots was their dream team and it would suck really bad if they had to be cut!" It's a stretch of a comparison but it's true. Martha Karolyi doesn't put gymnasts on the US Olympic team because "they brought a lot of fun to the team" or because "this one time, 3 years ago, she competed and landed this skill that she hasn't done as well since." This is not lawn bowling, this is not crochet, this is not portrait painting. For many programs, being the 100% absolute best is not the goal, and that's great, don't run your team like Smoed. On the other side of the coin, many teams aspire to be the best, and you don't become the best by lowering your standards, you become the best by doing what you have to do to reach and surpass your standards.
I agree with you 150%. My confusion comes from the fact that people pay to cheer rather than get paid because its a youth sport. When someone is replaced are they always put on another team in the gym, or kicked off altogether? And how would that work?

I agree with you 150%. My confusion comes from the fact that people pay to cheer rather than get paid because its a youth sport. When someone is replaced are they always put on another team in the gym, or kicked off altogether? And how would that work?

I feel that at most programs, if you are bumped from a team due to skill and readiness, they'd find you a new team to build your skills on so you can perhaps try again next year. The girls who were replaced didn't seem to have a bad attitude or anything that would constitute kicking them out of the gym so I'm sure they could find them a new team! I don't know how CA handles this specifically because I don't go there, but I've never heard of a gym kicking an athlete out because they aren't ready for a certain team. That would be very unfair!

I don't know how CA handles this specifically because I don't go there, but I've never heard of a gym kicking an athlete out because they aren't ready for a certain team. That would be very unfair!

I totally agree with you, and this is where I think so many people's confusion is lying, and to be fair - awesomenesstv may have portrayed it in this way a little.
Its not like she busted her tumbling one time during practice and Eddie demanded she pack up her things and leave California Allstars in disgrace and forever and never return. THAT would be ridiculous.

She most likely knew herself that Smoed was proving difficult, it would have been a quiet conversation between her and the coaches and she would have been moved to a different team in the gym where she can really shine through and work on her skills and where she was happy to be.

(I say most likely because I really don't know, but its a realistic guess)

Yes, they get put on another team. No one is kicked out. Eddie and Orby love all those kids, from our level 1's to level 5's. I'm sure all this was a very tough decision for them.

i didnt really read everyones post but i did read a few....

if travis didnt get replaced and eddie said "well thats nice your somewhat injured you can still walk... youre going to stunt and throw back tucks" what would be your response then??
OH WHY WOULD EDDIE LEAVE TRAV IN KNOWING HES INJURED BLAH BLAH BLAH...

and on the defense... travis said he was going to take the season off and get surgery. Eddie didnt say youre off the team. he did find a replacement after the convo. with trav and im sorry but if my team was world defending champions i would jump and find a replacement ASAP!

Back