All-Star Cheerleaders Season 2!

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Oh no, it was a big deal for AGES- Smoed is just the new one because it's not just the guys. I always felt like the girls were props on TG until their were guy restrictions. Not that they weren't capable of contributing, but they didn't because TG was flying in guys. My question, however, was never answered. Of those boys who come/came down: how many of them stick with it after the year? How many just drop cheer all together?

Smoed is bringing in girls AND guys, and not just that random dude who doesn't have a strong Worlds contender team in his area. We're in a whole new ball game.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

Sorry, premature reply button. Are you speaking specifically regarding the male SMO's from this past season now that they've aged out ?

I'm not saying that it's not fair! I'm saying that it's giving Cali kids that have been at Cali for years even less of a chance to be on Smoed!
You are absolutely correct. The fact is anyone and everyone gets to try out. The coaches chose the best fit for what teams they have at the gym. Everyone makes a team. Does every athlete agree with their team placement ? Never. But everyone is graded by the same standard and provided the same opportunities within the gym.

Exactly. People are staring to get so negative when they hear kids are changing gyms. I felt like I had to remind them that whole families still move.
And people change gyms, sometimes frequently. How many athletes cheer for the gym that they first joined ? Probably not a whole lot. The vast majority move gyms as skills progress etc. looking for a better fit, or they relocate, or they aren't winning, or they're promised a higher level team, and so on.

some people are just going to make the team beforehand and arent going to have much or any, dare i say, competition. we're talking about a very prominent power tumbler (angel), flyer (gabi) and power tumbler that was on smoed since the very beginning for every year except this past year (kyle). and just because someone was given a spot doesnt mean that it is permanent. athletes can be replaced by someone better at tryouts or after tryouts.

these coaches have been around the block for a very long time, and a good coach knows when they see an exceptional athlete that they know very few other athletes can touch. ive seen examples of this in olympian (gymnastics) documentaries. the coach will usually say something like "i knew from an early age that there was something special about her. she wasn't like the others." good coaches can identify exceptional athletes. that's why i dont blame them for giving a spot to an athlete before formal tryouts begin (private tryouts were actually going on as early as march, from what i saw was posted an on out-of-stater's, who made smoed, instagram).

@Cheermom1969

As previously mentioned, I have zero doubt that these kids would be placed on the team, and everybody knew they would most likely be placed.
People just didn't see why those athletes were announced on a coaches twitter account before tryouts instead of on a roster along with the other Smos.

(I also don't really have much of an opinion on this, just that it's a little disrespectful. I just remember these views from another thread/twit)

I'd be interested to see the numbers for out-of-town athletes on TGLC this year... Everyone and their grandma seemed to have made the team and, at least when it comes to the guys, I'd be VERY surprised if even half were actually from Top Gun. Bit of a double standard. I've always thought Top Gun was the biggest "culprit" (for lack of a better word) in regards to out-of-town athletes, but it's Top Gun, so it's not a big deal apparently.
There were also some kids who tried out to see what team they made/won't be able to move. My friend who is now on WC suns made lady jags but her mom won't move for cheer. Also 2 new odyssey boys made TGLC but won't be moving either and will stay on wc. So the numbers will probably go down

@Cheermom1969

As previously mentioned, I have zero doubt that these kids would be placed on the team, and everybody knew they would most likely be placed.
People just didn't see why those athletes were announced on a coaches twitter account before tryouts instead of on a roster along with the other Smos.

(I also don't really have much of an opinion on this, just that it's a little disrespectful. I just remember these views from another thread/twit)
I can't speak to all, but I don't think the original plan was to announce Angel Rice when they did. A certain cheer mom was very vocal at Worlds about AR coming to SMOED, and I am guessing that is how the info got out there before the coaches wanted it to.

There were also some kids who tried out to see what team they made/won't be able to move. My friend who is now on WC suns made lady jags but her mom won't move for cheer. Also 2 new odyssey boys made TGLC but won't be moving either and will stay on wc. So the numbers will probably go down

Wait, what? Did they just happen to be in Miami during tryout weekend and thought "why not?"

I'd be interested to see the numbers for out-of-town athletes on TGLC this year... Everyone and their grandma seemed to have made the team and, at least when it comes to the guys, I'd be VERY surprised if even half were actually from Top Gun. Bit of a double standard. I've always thought Top Gun was the biggest "culprit" (for lack of a better word) in regards to out-of-town athletes, but it's Top Gun, so it's not a big deal apparently.
Until this year, many if not all of our out of town athletes were super seniors or out of high school already (Even this past season I can only think of a few who weren't). There's always a huge loss of athletes over summer. Some never show up, some realize it's not a fit for them, some can't handle the summer practices, and some get cut. There has always been a pretty big cut for coed (50+ people making the team initially), but this year more people paid attention to try out results.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And people change gyms, sometimes frequently. How many athletes cheer for the gym that they first joined ? Probably not a whole lot. The vast majority move gyms as skills progress etc. looking for a better fit, or they relocate, or they aren't winning, or they're promised a higher level team, and so on.

Right but it isn't fair to brand everyone a gym hopper or be all sassy and passive aggressive like "good luck picking up your whole life and moving for cheer" as the reaction has been lately. I had to move to SC for my dad's job but I chose to not live with relatives and stay at my gym because I knew cheer was bigger in the south. I know one fairly well known athlete's father died a couple seasons ago, moved back to where she used to live, and some people threw a lot of shade when she wanted to continue cheering at a gym near her new home because they didn't even know the whole story and just based their opinion on her changing gyms. Sometimes there's things out of the kid's control or people should understand the whole situation before giving the side eye.

Wait, what? Did they just happen to be in Miami during tryout weekend and thought "why not?"
They could have sent in video tryouts too. I think that's how most out of state people tryout for Smoed.

Not related to your post, but didn't Cheer Updates tweet about AR joining Smoed and not the coaches or anything?

Sorry, premature reply button. Are you speaking specifically regarding the male SMO's from this past season now that they've aged out ?

I was speaking in reference to the boys on TG/Cali Coed (as they seemed to have the greatest number of boy-transfers, and did historically). I'm also not necessarily talking in the first year out. What happens in the years after? How many stick around, how many are even still involved in cheer, etc.

Maybe I'm horrendously practical (hysterical, considering my profession), but to up and move for one year/two years for something you're not even going to stick with seems rather...rash, in this climate. Again, I understand families move/military situations (my family has a long military history, my cousin just moved to Washington)..but for something that all but ends after 19?

I was speaking in reference to the boys on TG/Cali Coed (as they seemed to have the greatest number of boy-transfers, and did historically). I'm also not necessarily talking in the first year out. What happens in the years after?
I don't know if this answers your question or not, but it seems that a lot of the boys that are on TG/Cali Coed from out of state are usually super seniors that move there for there last year of senior eligibility. There are some that seem to stay around and cheer on the international teams at those gyms and I have seen a couple (don't really know names) move back home and cheer on an international team there.

Back