All-Star Cheerleaders Season 3?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

But when did cheerleading become a business, instead of fun? I do it for fun. I take it seriously, but i'm not going to drop everything for a "chance" to win worlds on a team that could end up not winning. We are not a professional sport. NBA and NFL are different. They are adults in a professional sports. We are kids.

They gym owners, coaches, staff etc. are running a business.

But when did cheerleading become a business, instead of fun? I do it for fun. I take it seriously, but i'm not going to drop everything for a "chance" to win worlds on a team that could end up not winning. We are not a professional sport. NBA and NFL are different. They are adults in a professional sports. We are kids.
As soon as it became separate from school or rec as it needs to be funded to exist and continue. No one can lose money and keep it going.

i dont have a problem necessarily with what cali does finding talent. but at the same time what about all the lower level athletes in those gyms who want to be apart of level 5 teams. i mean i would hate to be an athlete who has spent 5 to 10 years with one program working on gaining those level 5 skills, only to be turned away cause the teams finds more success flying in athletes from other gyms.
i dont know much about the cali gyms, but i have to wonder if a lot of their lower level kids eventually go searching for another gym in order to be apart of a level 5 team, considering how much they like to bring talent in from else where. or how many ahtletes decide to just stay in level 4 longer cause they have no where else to go.

Another thing to consider; since SMOED is not their own LVL 5 World's team, does the other Cali World Teams like Black Ops, for example, also fly in so much talent or is this exclusive to SMOED?

If it's a SMOED thing, then purely it's for the commercialization of TV mixed with the fact that they won 3 in a row, and their homegrown athletes would probably have the chance to be on a 'not as popular' though arguably just as talent other Cali World's team. However, if those teams have the same thing happening, then it seems like a Cali motto, in which case, lower level teammates leaving wouldn't all together surprise me.

Another thing to consider; since SMOED is not their own LVL 5 World's team, does the other Cali World Teams like Black Ops, for example, also fly in so much talent or is this exclusive to SMOED?

If it's a SMOED thing, then purely it's for the commercialization of TV mixed with the fact that they won 3 in a row, and their homegrown athletes would probably have the chance to be on a 'not as popular' though arguably just as talent other Cali World's team. However, if those teams have the same thing happening, then it seems like a Cali motto, in which case, lower level teammates leaving wouldn't all together surprise me.

i mean if smoed does it, i wouldnt be surprised if other cali teams did it. but unless someone from the cali program confirms that not to be true for the other level 5 teams, then i would hope it isnt. cali seems like such a great program, that i would hate to see the sudden stigma of the smoed show recruiting outside athletes to affect their other teams.

Yes, the other teams do have fly ins as well, just not sure to what extent.

I think he said 11 MALE videos out of 200; I think 2 of the guys were selected. If I heard that right.

Yup, I heard the same thing too 11 males out of 200, so Tyler made up the top 5.5% of the entire group that sent in videos and if they only selected 2 out of that 200, he had only a 1.0% shot of making it on the team... I am pretty sure if you had these numbers for the males can you imagine the astronomical numbers for female position on this team, especially, since girls make up the larger percentage of AS cheerleaders--
Realist speaking now--
I know if I say it, people are going to hate and dislike me, but sometimes we need to be real with our young people and not be afraid to speak the truth, so they can have a more realistic view of life and make wiser decision... If Smoed only have 8 positions open and 2 positions are reserved for the boys-- that leaves only 6 positions, which we know already at least 2 of those positions are already filled, so that only leaves 4 positions opened for the girls only...
Math crunching time - If girls make up about 6 to 1: so that means for every 6 girls that are AS cheering, you have 1 male... lets do the crunching: 200 males to 1200 females videos (guesstimating) submissions and now divide that by 4 girls just from video submissions alone, a girl have about .33% chance of making it on a Smoed team and I think, look at those numbers, a girl has a better chance of being hit by lightning than making it on this team... But it is okay to tell some young people to defer college dreams for this kind of odds, I really don't think so!

Yup, I heard the same thing too 11 males out of 200, so Tyler made up the top 5.5% of the entire group that sent in videos and if they only selected 2 out of that 200, he had only a 1.0% shot of making it on the team... I am pretty sure if you had these numbers for the males can you imagine the astronomical numbers for female position on this team, especially, since girls make up the larger percentage of AS cheerleaders--
Realist speaking now--
I know if I say it, people are going to hate and dislike me, but sometimes we need to be real with our young people and not be afraid to speak the truth, so they can have a more realistic view of life and make wiser decision... If Smoed only have 8 positions open and 2 positions are reserved for the boys-- that leaves only 6 positions, which we know already at least 2 of those positions are already filled, so that only leaves 4 positions opened for the girls only...
Math crunching time - If girls make up about 6 to 1: so that means for every 6 girls that are AS cheering, you have 1 male... lets do the crunching: 200 males to 1200 females videos (guesstimating) submissions and now divide that by 4 girls just from video submissions alone, a girl have about .33% chance of making it on a Smoed team and I think, look at those numbers, a girl has a better chance of being hit by lightning than making it on this team... But it is okay to tell some young people to defer college dreams for this kind of odds, I really don't think so!
I disagree with you on the number of girls submitting videos. Guys are a hotter commodity with fewer upper level team chances and therefore more likely to be seeking out these teams. Small gyms are more likely to compete AG than try going coed with only 1 boy.

As someone from Cali, I can say I've never heard of our level 4's going elsewhere once they have a full or are level 5. They work hard on their skills until they're on the team. If they don't make it then they are on 5R or 4. Our level 4 here is very strong, but I agree with their decisions not to be put on a worlds team. They aren't ready. No one I have seen or heard of has had everything required for a worlds team, and not made it because of an outside athlete flying in and taking their spot.

As someone from Cali, I can say I've never heard of our level 4's going elsewhere once they have a full or are level 5. They work hard on their skills until they're on the team. If they don't make it then they are on 5R or 4. Our level 4 here is very strong, but I agree with their decisions not to be put on a worlds team. They aren't ready. No one I have seen or heard of has had everything required for a worlds team, and not made it because of an outside athlete flying in and taking their spot.

I hate to be so nosy and imposing on you... But in Cali is it just the Smoed team that people are flying in to be specifically on that team. How many homegrown athletes make up the Smoed's roster? I guess I am asking this questions because I really only hear about Smoed and athletes flying in to be on this team only...but what about those other teams...

To be honest, it is refreshing to know that majority of Cali teams are made up of homegrown athletes and know that these athletes have a good shot in making these World teams

Back