All-Star Cheerleaders Season 4: Jersey

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

It was ...not to mention some of the throwing up during conditioning was done deliberately so the cameras wouldn't miss it ...sad really...
Why would they need to script the throwing up? The cameras are gone and they're still throwing up.

Why would they need to script the throwing up? The cameras are gone and they're still throwing up.
It wasn't "scripted" but kids would purposely get the cameras attention to get it on film that they were going to throw up so it could be put on the show.

It wasn't "scripted" but kids would purposely get the cameras attention to get it on film that they were going to throw up so it could be put on the show.
I've seen a lot of the filming but must have missed that. All the SMOED drama and that's what an athlete wants on film, them puking?Maybe as a joke it happened. But honestly when they have to puke they don't have the time nor energy to go fetch the cameraman first. Besides, they're in the middle of practice.

First and foremost, this is television. Things are going to be edited to appear more interesting. Things are going to "seem" like they are happening in the sequence you are viewing it. Perhaps some of these situations were filmed to "tell the story" versus happening at that exact moment. Most AS athletes/parents,especially at the higher levels, know to let coaches know as soon possible if there is a conflict with a competition. In the last 3 years, injured athletes aside, we have had NO ONE go to our coaches within a week of competition and say they cannot compete.
Regarding how PA spoke with the athlete regarding her head injury....again, I think editing is at play again. IMO PA was not saying "don't go to the doctor" she was saying, if you need to go to the doctor, go now. I don't want to move forward thinking you are okay and get "surprised" tomorrow that you aren't okay.....especially since she stayed and completed practice. I have seen that happen MANY times both in AS and HS. Lastly, I will tell you that athletes will lie to their parents/coaches regarding concussions. They are afraid of being replaced. As parents, we need to be educated on concussions and be the advocate for our athletes if we suspect concussion. Truly concussed athletes are not in a position to make those decisions as they are injured and could be having more issues that are not seen at the onset. I wish I could say that all gyms take these athletes off of the floor, but I can say from personal experience MANY gyms do not.

PA should still be outraged about how that episode made her program and AS cheer in general look. Their lack of response to what APPEARED like an athlete w/ a possible concussion being 1. belittled for being hurt (it wasn't even her fault she got hurt, someone kicked her in the head!), 2. being told to "go get a drink of water" and get back out there, and 3. not seek medical attention cause the coach didn't want to be bothered w/ it, makes me think that CJA was okay w/ this portrayal. Fake or not, it's awful to let viewers think that type of thing is a part of AS cheer. Cheer already has a reputation for being one of the most dangerous sports, and this makes it even worse. I can't imagine any parent who was considering signing their child up for AS cheer still thinking it was a good idea after watching that.

I guess PA wants to be on a show more than she cares about how that show makes her program, and AS cheer in general, look though. Very reminiscent of what Abby Lee Miller did to dance IMO - hopefully this doesn't get as bad as that, but who knows.

I must be hard headed.... I've smacked my head a few times on the ground as a kid and was never worried about a concussion or going to the hospital just to make sure like people are now. And this is coming from someone who's been in two motorcycle accidents, with one of them me refusing to go to the hospital mainly because I had no health insurance at the time.

I must be hard headed.... I've smacked my head a few times on the ground as a kid and was never worried about a concussion or going to the hospital just to make sure like people are now. And this is coming from someone who's been in two motorcycle accidents, with one of them me refusing to go to the hospital mainly because I had no health insurance at the time.
I used to feel that way until I started feeling minor effects from having multiple concussions in a row without going to/listening to doctors (severe headaches, attention difficulties, memory problems, etc). It's really serious stuff and I'm glad more people are seeing that now.

I haven't watched yet but I'm the same way. I've had only 2 concussions that I've gone to the doctor/hospital for. I got one when we were at a bid competition and I got kicked in the head hard. I felt off for sure but this was in the practice gym and we were going on in 10 min. I sucked it up and went on and I almost threw up in the tumbling section ..I actually had to start singing the music so I wouldn't throw up it was awful. As soon as we competed I was dizzy and just chilled out for a few days. Thankfully we got our bid too :)

Ive had concussions several times. I was a olympic wrestler as a kid and a teenager for about 10 years ad got thrown in the mat too hard a few times and also ran right into the wall one time (yeah i know it sounds weird but that is totally me..) and i have had 6 minor cuncussions and 2 bigger but not really bad ones.. and the thing that made me quit wrestling was the act that it was too expensive.. bt ive never broken a bone in my life and i am skinny as can be (never ha anorexia or anything just skinny by nature) so ive always heard that i am though as nails. but i am lucky that my cuncossions havent given me permanent damage.

I used to feel that way until I started feeling minor effects from having multiple concussions in a row without going to/listening to doctors (severe headaches, attention difficulties, memory problems, etc). It's really serious stuff and I'm glad more people are seeing that now.
same. before getting one (and many after) myself, I didn't know a thing about concussions, and whenever someone had one i was like "oh, whatever", but concussions are the worst injury i have ever had to deal with. bones heal but once you cause brain damage, thats it. its been almost 6 months since my last one and i still struggle almost daily because like you (and most people) i didnt really take the doctors orders too seriously. its a scary thing for sure!

Speaking as someone who suffered brain damage from a hit to the head, concussions should not be taken lightly. Just because there's no bone sticking out or loss of blood doesn't mean it's not a serious injury. When athletes are intent on remaining on the mat after injury to their head it's incumbent upon parents, coaches and fellow athletes to take heed and watch for symptoms and take the necessary action. No matter how unpopular the decision is. I will live with brain damage for the rest of my life. It's not worth staying on the mat for. Especially with the youth, a brain injury can be treated thus limiting or even preventing damage to the brain. This is one injury where you can't be too cautious. The consequences can be life altering, I know.

PA should still be outraged about how that episode made her program and AS cheer in general look. Their lack of response to what APPEARED like an athlete w/ a possible concussion being 1. belittled for being hurt (it wasn't even her fault she got hurt, someone kicked her in the head!), 2. being told to "go get a drink of water" and get back out there, and 3. not seek medical attention cause the coach didn't want to be bothered w/ it, makes me think that CJA was okay w/ this portrayal. Fake or not, it's awful to let viewers think that type of thing is a part of AS cheer. Cheer already has a reputation for being one of the most dangerous sports, and this makes it even worse. I can't imagine any parent who was considering signing their child up for AS cheer still thinking it was a good idea after watching that.

I guess PA wants to be on a show more than she cares about how that show makes her program, and AS cheer in general, look though. Very reminiscent of what Abby Lee Miller did to dance IMO - hopefully this doesn't get as bad as that, but who knows.

You take everything to the extreme. Jesus Christ.

I do take concussions/head injuries seriously, sorry. Apparently there are a lot of PA supporters on here who will defend her no matter what, but she has lost me as a fan over this show, and I liked the original Cheer show.
I agree, IF she let that girl practice right after getting kicked or blew it off and just told her to her a drink, than she is wrong. The editing might have been made to look that way. All blows or falls to the head have to b taken seriously!

Back