All-Star Cheerleading Worlds 2015 - Day 3 (monday)

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

As a parent, who has somewhat begrudgingly grown to love cheer, I'll say this...I love watching teams compete. It gives me chills when I think of all the great accomplishments, it makes me cry when I feel the disappointments. There is something so noble about putting a routine together and performing it, and I admire the drive and athleticism of all these athletes and the passion of their supporters.

This sport has some struggles, there is an opaque scoring system, a monopoly to contend with and a definite for profit feel to the industry. Parents, fans and athletes behave poorly sometimes. I'm okay with, to some degree. It's the nature of competition, people behave badly, it is what it is. But for people to behave badly in public, and expect not to have some consequence for it is silly to me. You felt strongly enough to put yourself out there, if it's dramatic drama will ensue. As an observer, I do have teams I don't care for. Sometimes this is based completely on the public image a team has. Not fair in some ways, I suppose, but true. I have also had times where I was not happy with people at my CPS' gym(s) for the same reason. You better believe that if I think you make their gym look bad, I am likely to express my opinion. I am capable of contextualizing, so can sometimes get why people act the way they do, but I won't make or buy excuses. If you mess up, own it and move on,

I am never okay with coaches or owners behaving badly. They get paid, they austensibly have some sort of certification to get paid for what they do, so they have to earn respect. They should take that seriously. I didn't see or hear of examples of coaches or owners behaving negatively for worlds, so this makes me happy. I do have a tendency to judge programs that are known for their negativity though. I can respect talent, but hate entitlement. The beauty of this sport is that it takes so many hearts to win. You might want it. You might have excellent coaches, or facilities or choreographers, etc., but it's the kids out there making it happen. If you don't respect the competition, then you lose something even if you win.

Great post!

Mine are all girls too! No pictures in bathing suits, but one likes to use some inappropriate language! It is usually the oldest one.
My oldest is the social media police! Sometimes I think she's my mother :)
They all do pretty good. They have all their accounts set up on my phone to and tell me I have open access because after years of battle they finally realized that if it's something mom wouldn't want to see then it's not wise to post. I just tell them when they are upset about something to write it all down and hold it 24 hours and then reread it. And then they realize it wasn't a big deal and they throw it away.

Eddie Rios @Smoedcoach · 7h7 hours ago
The actions of a few members is not the behavior we encourage or condone. We feel blessed and appreciative. I apologize for the negativity.

..... i just dont know anymore, you condone it by letting them keep the photo up and then continue to let the kids go wild on twitter..... hmmmmm

i think at this point if i was a coach, anyone who took part in it, i dont know if i would allow them to try out again for that specific team. as a teenager the only way i learned growing up, was the hard way. lecturing a teenager doesnt work the majority of the time fyi.

For those of you reading thru this thread today I'd like to bring something to your attention. Mention was made many pages back about selfie taken by a SMOED athlete. Claims were made that it was taken and posted to be mean to BSB. The athlete was called names and her character was slandered. A lot of discussion ensued on the topic. Both on Twitter and the FB individuals that know the truth since they witnessed the selfie being taken, came forwardt in the athletes defense. Some of these individuals are very well known in the cheer community and deemed credible. Everyone was saying essentially the same thing. That this athlete did nothing wrong.

People were so quick to judge the athlete in the moment yet not so quick to issue an apology. I haven't seen one word of apology for bashing the athlete. If you are quick with accusations you'd better be quick with apologies because you are going to be wrong some times.

Now as I read people's more recent comments I keep seeing remarks discussing how SMOED treated Brandon poorly. This selfie is the only thing that I've seen discussed pertaining to SMOED's poor treatment towards Brandon.

This is how lies and untruths get perpetuated. People don't fact check and since haters say it's so, well it must be so. Everyone loves the drama. Next thing you know everyone believes the lie to be in fact the truth, so they start hating. And so on.....and so on.

We adults bear the responsibility for some of the untruths and bad representation. We have played a part in perpetuating some of this misinformation that is out there. Not wittingly but unknowingly. We need to hold ourselves accountable for our words as we do the athletes.

Tonight as we go on about our lives no regard has been given to the athlete that innocently took a selfie. What should have been a wonderful moment for her (she worked hard to earn her moment) was spent in distress defending herself. I wonder how she feels right now. I know it has forever tainted her memories of that special moment. We bear some of the responsibility. Our words are weapons and we need to use them appropriately. Just because you can doesn't mean that you should.

The actions of a few members is not the behavior we encourage or condone. We feel blessed and appreciative. I apologize for the negativity.

..... i just dont know anymore, you condone it by letting them keep the photo up and then continue to let the kids go wild on twitter..... hmmmmm

i think at this point if i was a coach, anyone who took part in it, i dont know if i would allow them to try out again for that specific team. as a teenager the only way i learned growing up, was the hard way. lecturing a teenager doesnt work the majority of the time fyi.

California, as a program, has continually proven that they will never dish out that type of punishment. From an outside looking in (no ties to Cali, so pure personal opinion) they seem to be a program that would rather put out what they consider to be the best team on the floor, have behavior go every which way, and apologize for it later.

That belief was only cemented around NCA when someone from Cali specifically said (and I can't even remember who it was now) that if one of their boys actually said to Dylan what he said, he would have been removed from the program. Well, he said it, Dylan's dad provided proof along with e-mail confirmation, and that athletes is now wearing a gold medal...so, I think they'd rather do whatever they think they have to do to win, and deal with the aftermath.

Not picking on SMOED---Congrats at being Grand Champs of World's---but these apologizes are overused.

Maybe 15-16 will be different....

Night all.

@quitthedrama IS A WORLD CHAMP MOM
x2! Both of my girls are World Champions! I am still in shock. I honestly don't have words. I know I did the early celebration thing and I feel horrible about it but I can't even put in to words what it was like to see your kids and their teammates put it all out on the mat and move up from 8th place. My oldest is a senior so to see her and her other teammates be called out as World Champions is just a dream come true for them!!

He's aged out. There is no returning.

x2! Both of my girls are World Champions! I am still in shock. I honestly don't have words. I know I did the early celebration thing and I feel horrible about it but I can't even put in to words what it was like to see your kids and their teammates put it all out on the mat and move up from 8th place. My oldest is a senior so to see her and her other teammates be called out as World Champions is just a dream come true for them!!
What team?

Omg can we please just stop talking about SMOED? Yes they hit, yes Kyle was being really cocky and rude, yes some girls posted a selfie with BSB, it's all in the past now. Let's talk about something else. Anyone up for a good story about a bridge? Anything?

Sorry I'm really cranky after the large senior coed level 5 division. Not who one(Congrats Coed Elite btw!) just of how poorly it was held. Schedule way behind, live stream failing, people getting injuries everywhere, USASF not setting the mats up properly and having people hurt themselves! Oh wait maybe I just don't like USASF's comp this year..... Honestly this year was probably my worst worlds.

Back