All-Star Closed Practices - Advise From Other Parents Needed.

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

cheer4evah

Cheer Parent
Apr 20, 2011
So, my CP has never cheered somewhere that has closed practices and I have always stayed for her practices. Now, the gym she will be cheering at this season has closed practices and I'm not sure how I feel about it. I understand the reasons they do this, and more likely than not for this particular gym it is probably more of a space issue than anything else (no room to really have a parent area that is not right in the gym), but I'm not sure if I'm comfortable with this. My CP is only 8 and this is a new gym where I do not know the coaching staff very well yet. My child's safety is my primary concern and I just don't know how I feel about leaving my child with adults and older teenagers (they help with practices for the younger ones) that I don't really know.

Am I being too overbearring? How would you as parents handle this situation? I mean, there aren't really any other gyms in our area for us to go to, and we are happy with the gym's program but their policy is closed practices.

I had closed practices at my gym I use to own for space reasons and safety. I didn't have a big enough gym to have a parent viewing area without them being in the gym. I did however invite parents into the last 15 minutes of practice once a month so they could see their progress.

Pros and cons to this. I think as a coach we had 100% concentration from the kids and no distractions from looking for their parents approval.

Cons that I know the parents would of loved watching but we just didn't have enough room. When we did let the parents in most times they brought younger siblings or coffee and I had spills and distraction.

But as long as you trust the program and the coaches you should be ok :)

Many gyms have closed practices, even for younger kids. It's pretty common.

That being said...I would suggest that if you have any questions or concerns, even if you think you're being overprotective, that it's ok to express them to the coaches or gym management. I do agree with the above post that as a rule (and this is in other sports, not just cheer) that practices where the parents aren't around tend to yield better results.

I totally understand it from a coaching perspective - I coached younger athletes for a number of years. It is just a very different feeling being on the parent side of things I guess.

My daughter has only taken a stunt and tumble class at the gym so far and I was allowed to stay for both of those. She will be starting after this week (closed for the 4th) which is when the actual practices will come into play. I don't know the staff well enough to know if I trust/feel comfortable with them yet. And, since the practices are closed, I won't be able to observe them in action so to speak to get to the point where I'm sure I'm comfortable. They do allow parents to watch for the last 15 minutes of each practice, but by then they are really just doing conditioning. I have talked to a few other parents that send their children there and they have all been happy and have no complaints. We just moved here (to AL from NJ) about 9 months ago though so it's all new to me still.

I guess I could always sit in the car in the parking lot and just tell her that I am out there if anything ever happens :)

Thats a really tough call.... It would be hard for me to let my 8 year old alone at a gym where I was new.
On the other hand, kids do go to school every day and we are not there. Kids go to camp and we are not there. I think having a rule that the parent cant be there is what is hard to swallow. Maybe talk to the director with your concerns, perhaps you can be a little earlier than 15 minutes at the end until you feel comfortable.
Hopefully you can meet some moms from the team and you can hang out in the parking lot or coffee shop and talk about things and that will set your mind at ease.
Our children are our most precious gift and it is hard to be asked not to be there.
good luck I feel for you!

So, my CP has never cheered somewhere that has closed practices and I have always stayed for her practices. Now, the gym she will be cheering at this season has closed practices and I'm not sure how I feel about it. I understand the reasons they do this, and more likely than not for this particular gym it is probably more of a space issue than anything else (no room to really have a parent area that is not right in the gym), but I'm not sure if I'm comfortable with this. My CP is only 8 and this is a new gym where I do not know the coaching staff very well yet. My child's safety is my primary concern and I just don't know how I feel about leaving my child with adults and older teenagers (they help with practices for the younger ones) that I don't really know.

Am I being too overbearring? How would you as parents handle this situation? I mean, there aren't really any other gyms in our area for us to go to, and we are happy with the gym's program but their policy is closed practices.
I do understand how you feel. I have three daughters that all cheer and my baby is now in 8th grade. New people, new environment and new rules are always causes for concen; however, I strongly recommend talking to some of the other moms that have been around for a while.....avoid the drama! you only want to make sure that your daughter is being coached appropriately and safely. So I would focus on past injuries. Also be sure to meet all the coaches that run practice and I would not hurt to voice your concerns......I do not approve of parents being able to watch practice, especially at this age, because it can be very districting. We have closed practices but because I am one of the coaches my husband used to stop by and watch some of the practices......I banned him from stepping a foot into the gym.....His facial expressions when the girls are stunting and even tumbling and his aaaaahs and oooooohs and even ouches :) made, not only our daughter nervous, but the other girls as well.

I hope this information is helpful.

I totally understand it from a coaching perspective - I coached younger athletes for a number of years. It is just a very different feeling being on the parent side of things I guess.

My daughter has only taken a stunt and tumble class at the gym so far and I was allowed to stay for both of those. She will be starting after this week (closed for the 4th) which is when the actual practices will come into play. I don't know the staff well enough to know if I trust/feel comfortable with them yet. And, since the practices are closed, I won't be able to observe them in action so to speak to get to the point where I'm sure I'm comfortable. They do allow parents to watch for the last 15 minutes of each practice, but by then they are really just doing conditioning. I have talked to a few other parents that send their children there and they have all been happy and have no complaints. We just moved here (to AL from NJ) about 9 months ago though so it's all new to me still.

I guess I could always sit in the car in the parking lot and just tell her that I am out there if anything ever happens :)

Why don't you express your concerns to the owner and see if maybe having a conversation or meeting with the coaches would put your mind more at ease. I can't imagine that a coach or owner would ever say no to meeting with about it. How does your daughter feel about it?

I will say it's fine to express your concerns, as a new to the gym with a younger cp parent. Does your cp have a phone? that might help you feel more at ease, if so.

We switched to a gym with closed practices when cp was 6. It was hard at first. I was a bit nervous, but she was pretty good a reporting to me and nothing crazy happened. After a couple of months I realized that i totally preferred closed practices! It was so much better on my stress level. I didn't watch and think stupid things and worry needlessly and have susie's mom in my ear the whole 2 hours (now susies mom is just in my ear and drop off and pick up...LOL).

Disclaimer: of course I would prefer to watch practices than not watch them, but it's really better for my emotional health to be away and I'd never actually CHOOSE to not watch if i could...LOL.

Here I am with my opinion; :)

First I would like to say I agree with SheCheers

I also started at a gym with open practice while my daughter was (5&6)

And we recently started at the same gym that SheCheers is at with closed practices.

At first I was annoyed because I wanted to see practice and after watching it for a few years I felt we were owed that right. However, that's a privilege. I will say that my daughter did a tumbling class there for a couple weeks before tryouts started and in that time (because you can stay for tumbling just not cheer practice) I observed how they are with the kids in cheer practice and 100% trust them to run a safe and efficient practice. They are not wasting my money or cussing the kids out. Plus there is always someone in the gym. (other parents from tumbling classes)

So after observing them they gained my trust but it's for the better. I had a few moms at the other gym that were crazy and I would listen to them whisper and talk about other kids and make snide comments about my daughter and now I don't have to deal with it. I want to say its because the moms are better then that here but I don't think that's the case but because they don't watch practice it's hard for them to stir up drama so we are all a bunch of happy loving moms!

Now I'm happier the way it is and prefer closed practice! Also it adds to the thrill when you see them compete!

I think a closed practiced is the best way for get the most out of practice. Anybody else in the gym besides team and coaches is a distraction. Most kids do not want parents in the gym. Hopefully you are at a gym that has qualified coaches and staff. If U feel that your daughter is ever in danger then address it asap.

I kinda wish we had closed practices as well (or maybe a compromise.) I would love the kids not to have the parental distraction. :)

BUT, I feel that way after being able to watch for a few years, LOL! I can definitely understand the trepidation.

It isn't the same as leaving your child at school: generally, at school, the teachers and administrators are not trying to teach your child to throw themselves or other human beings up in the air. Teachers are usually not within as close physical proximity to students as coaches are with athletes, and the dress code at school is much different than at practice. There are BIG differences. Being concerned about your child's safety in this way is not being overprotective.

It isn't the same as leaving your child at school: generally, at school, the teachers and administrators are not trying to teach your child to throw themselves or other human beings up in the air. Teachers are usually not within as close physical proximity to students as coaches are with athletes, and the dress code at school is much different than at practice. There are BIG differences. Being concerned about your child's safety in this way is not being overprotective.

Thank you! School and cheer practice are two very different things. Of course you can not protect your child every second of every day, but as a parent it is my responsibility to make sure I'm doing everything I can to keep my children safe.

Our old gym had the best of both worlds in my opinion. The parent viewing area was upstairs and had two way mirror type glass so that you could see into the gym, but the kids couldn't see you. They could see some shadows, etc. but couldn't really see their parent. This definitely kept distractions down to a minimum and also kept the parents from trying to "coach" their child from the viewing area. I usually stayed and read a book or talked with the other parents, but if I didn't stay I never worried because I trusted the coaches there. I'm sure with time I will have that same trust and respect for the coaches at the new gym, it's just I don't know them or their coaching style yet.

I think attending the tumbling and stunt classes for now should help ease my mind (parents are allowed to stay for them, just not team practices) and I will also talk to her coaches. I have had quite a bit of interaction with the owners of the gym but haven't met the coaches that will be coaching her specific team yet. I do trust my daughter though and know that she would tell me if she wasn't comfortable with something.

I think, as you get used to it, you will find that the closed practice policy is actually very good. Again...I do feel that when there are just a couple people there (like a private) moms should be allowed to watch (and it sounds as if they are at your program) But closed practice really has its benefits!

Back