High School Coach Certification-is It Needed?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Apr 5, 2011
I live in Pennsylvania and was wondering if High School Coaches had to be certified in Safety and Levels to be able to let their girls stunt and do basket tosses. I am an All-Star coach and have watched our school coach let girls do baskets tosses right on the gym floor..no mat. And stunt on the track at football games. She (Coach) has no idea what she is doing the girls are not doing anything correctly and I just cringe everytime I see it. I know the Coach doesn't have any kind of certification, does she need it to be able to let her girls do this stuff and does she need a mat under them also. If its needed is there a minimum stunting level she can do without certifaction and without a mat? ie: thigh stand, prep level but no full extension? Thanks for the help, I am scared someone is going to get hurt.

Thank you, I will print this out and give it to the Athletic Director. I don't think she is certified (I could be wrong) but I will make sure the Athletic Director knows she has to be, I doubt they would tell me if I asked. It is just stuff they are doing on the sidelines, they don't compete or get that intense I just don't want someone getting hurt and since our school is clueless about cheerleading wanted to make sure they knew the rules to cover them in case. I haven't seen a basket toss since we mentioned to them it might be illegal for them to do. And last night they just did thigh stand and a prep level mount. But even those are wrong. The Coach is trying to better the squad and has brought in some instruction for the girls so they are moving in the right direction but they are still scary to watch as every year new girls join the squad that didn't attend the 2-day camp she had the year before.

You may be able to use the AACCA search to see if she's AACCA certified. It has a few limitations, but is good overall.

AACCA Certified Coach Search

Back