All-Star Coaches Dating Athletes With Parent Approval

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

If your talking an older team such as Open 6, then I see no problem with it. Anything else is a thumbs down. I think the more awkward situation is the coach that dates a mom!

If your talking an older team such as Open 6, then I see no problem with it. Anything else is a thumbs down. I think the more awkward situation is the coach that dates a mom!
Just curious as to why it is more awkward for a coach to date a mom than an athlete.

Well, you appear to be young, so I am guessing you do not have children of your own. However, I have an almost 17 year old and a 14 year old, and dating a coach is NOT ok. So if this were happening involving one of my kids...I would NOT just "let people do what they want". Just sayin....
cool.

In the terms I put it in and from what has been discussed about Open 6 teams, you don't have the parent factor, it's just a group of adults over 18. A coach dating anyone from another level team is a no-no regardless of age or at least keep it out of the gym if they are both adults (and I'm not talking age of consent, I mean over 18). A mom dating a coach causes a whole other set of issues that I would consider "awkward". For example, Coach A starts dating the young mom of a mini 1 athlete, if he puts her in front it's favoritism (even if she is the best jumper on the squad), if he puts her near the back he could tick off his gf...see all sorts of issues. And lets not get started on the drama mammas that would feed into it...

So ya'll are saying if two athletes are dating each other and one starts coaching then that relationship all of a sudden becomes wrong and unethical?? You cannot take such a broad scenario and lump it all into a complete right or wrong answer. There are many many scenarios where a coach and athlete dating would be very okay with me. And there would be many many scenarios where I would be heading for the door. This is not a black and white scenario here. Give me a specific example and I'll tell you if it is right or wrong.

Mclovin said:
So ya'll are saying if two athletes are dating each other and one starts coaching then that relationship all of a sudden becomes wrong and unethical?? You cannot take such a broad scenario and lump it all into a complete right or wrong answer. There are many many scenarios where a coach and athlete dating would be very okay with me. And there would be many many scenarios where I would be heading for the door. This is not a black and white scenario here. Give me a specific example and I'll tell you if it is right or wrong.

Agree! The OP asked abt coaches dating athletes with parents approval and there's been tangents on all kinds of different scenarios.
Need parents permission? Not ok.

I don't believe that coaches should be dating the athletes of any team period it's just unprofessional. Obviously if there is someone underage involved it's illegal however I wouldn't agree even if it were legal. Dating a coach/athlete seems to be a conflict of interest and what kind of message does it send to the other athletes. Ever heard of the saying "Don't s*** where you eat?" I think it would apply in this case lol.

Exactly, there are so many situations where it would be "but..." to make it against gym policy against the board. If my boyfriend and myself were on the same team and he became a coach and the owner tried to say we couldn't continue out relationship then I may be trying to find a new gym. I can totally see where relationships inside of a gym can get a bit sticky and cause some problems, but there is a lot of grey area to this so saying it is totally wrong or totally right is hard to do.

(now i know this is an athlete coach thing but i feel this also needs to be discussed) personally i dislike the idea of anybody dating in a gym even if its preexisting, sure i wouldnt make anybody break up over it it just causes to much unnecessary drama - for instance last season my team started off as a senior coed 4 and because the only guy on our team decided to date one of our flyers and break up with her a month before nationals he quit because he was to scared to come back and face the music therefore forcing us to drop to all girl senior 4 in a division we had never competed in we also had to rework our entire routine base groups dance everything

this being said i feel i must now relate back to topic so here goes:
at the last gym i was apart of my coaches actually dated each other and met when my male coach coached my female coach at another gym they have been dating for a while now and our now the new proud owners of my old gym, they keep their relationship very proper as in nobody knew they were dating until 3 months of them starting to coaching us, and i think thats what it comes down to responsibility, maturity, and boundaries of said party

no i do not agree with a 14 year old dating a 25 year old thats too big of a gap and to much knowledge on the one side as well of here it is lack of maturity on the other that being said i am perfectly okay with a 17 year old and a 20-21 year old
now before you attack me i am a 17 year old and out of high school (and in university) which countless people have said is okay to date a coach my boyfriend is also 20

i guess my opinion on this matter is as long as both parties gym, coaches and athlete are okay with the relationship i believe it is okay as long as the age difference is a MAXIMUM of 3-4 years (excluding open/intl teams)

hmmmmmmm this is incredibly similar to a recent event in a gym in georgia.
but i'm not going to mention any names. considering no one has.
but as someone has said before in this thread, either the coach or athlete must step down from their position if they want to continue their relationship otherwise it would just be awkward and whatnot amongst the other athletes/coaches/parents.
even though there's not an intense age difference, and the athlete is 18, it is still heavily frowned upon and it's just soooooo unprofessional. it'll be extremely difficult to regain everyone's respect/trust for that coach. oh and the fact that the parents would even approve of this just blows my mind.

Wow... this thread was alarming. Age has EVERYTHING to do with the answer on this one. If the child is under 18 then, as others have mentioned, there are serious reprocussions, regardless of whether or not the parent is ok with it. If the law is being broken, all it takes is another parent unhappy with the special treatment that athlete may be getting to call the cops and the whole thing blows up.

If they are both adults, then it's really a non issue. Sometimes you can't choose who you fall in love with! The only issue it may create is a feeling of favoritism, but what gym in the country doesn't already have that problem... LOL!!!
OMG, i got sooooo distacted by your profile pic...

I don't believe that coaches should be dating the athletes of any team period it's just unprofessional. Obviously if there is someone underage involved it's illegal however I wouldn't agree even if it were legal. Dating a coach/athlete seems to be a conflict of interest and what kind of message does it send to the other athletes. Ever heard of the saying "Don't s*** where you eat?" I think it would apply in this case lol.
Don't shimmy where you eat?!?!

Back