All-Star Coaches Dating Athletes With Parent Approval

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

The situation at the Georgia gym....completely wrong. I would be leaving the gym, too. I see that relationship as the owner using his position of authority to seduce an 18 year old girl. Honestly, in cheer or out, a 10 year age gap is A LOT for an 18 year old and I would find the relationship to be shady at best.

The situation at the Georgia gym....completely wrong. I would be leaving the gym, too. I see that relationship as the owner using his position of authority to seduce an 18 year old girl. Honestly, in cheer or out, a 10 year age gap is A LOT for an 18 year old and I would find the relationship to be shady at best.

I think the girl is 17. And I believe the owner is 26. Regardless...major ick factor for me.

This is going on near me. not at stingrays, obviously you would know. but the girl who is dating the coach i know & use to cheer with. he is 28... i repulses me.

FYI this would not happen at Rays. The coach would be fired.

I dont think anyone who is in a position of authority over another person should be allowed to date them, period. If it is an existing coach hooking up with one of their athletes - no, regardless of age. I am a teacher at high school, some of my students repeat years and I have had up to 20 y/o's in my classroom. As a new teacher I would have only been 3 years older than them, however, I was in a position of responsibility over them and therefore it is unacceptable.

A lot of people are mentioning the existing couple where one transfers in as a coach or one is asked to coach a squad. I would expect them not to be coaching the squad, or even have anything to do with the squad their partner is on, and if that wasnt possible I would then expect them not to take the position or for the athlete to change squads/gyms. Under no circumstances do I think a coach should date one of THEIR athletes. If Suzie and Johnny are on Senior Co-Ed 5 and Suzie is asked to coach Mini 1, then that would be ok as there is no risk of an abuse (or a percieved abuse) of power. However, if Johnny transfers in for college and is asked to coach Senior Co-Ed 5 which Suzie is super-senioring on then I would expect him to say no or Suzie to find another squad, regardless of how old they are.

Heavens, if my husband were ever to show an interest in joining a cheer squad (despite he hasnt and he has no ability) and wanted to get on my (imaginary) L5 open squad, I would tell him no, or if he was really desperate I would get another coach to coach them or send him to another gym. I wouldn't put either of us in a situation where we were on the same squad.

Nope. The whole issue here is coach vs athlete relationship and the authority that the coach has over athlete.

23 yr old dude meets 18 year old at the bar in college town... Could be construed as a little weird but not slimeball status in my book.
agree except the 18 yr old shouldnt even be in a bar...awk...:)

The owner should never date an athlete, EVER, regardless of age. And I definitely do not think a coach should be dating an athlete on a team they personally coach. But to say a coach should never date an athlete, period, ever, end of story, etc. etc. is too broad. I would have no issue with a 19-20 year old tumbling coach dating an 18 year old on a senior team.

The owner should never date an athlete, EVER, regardless of age. And I definitely do not think a coach should be dating an athlete on a team they personally coach. But to say a coach should never date an athlete, period, ever, end of story, etc. etc. is too broad. I would have no issue with a 19-20 year old tumbling coach dating an 18 year old on a senior team.
agree.....it is obvious we all cant help who we fall in love with...:)

Analogy that's similair to this: would you be okay with your CP dating a teacher? Even if she was 18?

I wouldn't. To me, it's pretty much the same thing.

Analogy that's similair to this: would you be okay with your CP dating a teacher? Even if she was 18?

I wouldn't. To me, it's pretty much the same thing.
I'm a counselor/teacher at a theater summer camp at my old HS, as well as an assistant JV coach for the volleyball team. I'm 22, and some of the kids there are from 8-18. It would NOT be ok for me to date one of them..legal or no.

agree.....it is obvious we all cant help who we fall in love with...:)

I disagree. You can help who you fall in love with great morals and standards. I don't care how head over heels I fall in love with someone. If you do hard drugs; its over. If they are under 18 or in an athlete status to me or any other gym for a Senior team; its not even going to begin. Standards and ethics people. Get some.

Back