All-Star Coed Stunting Saga...

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Dec 15, 2009
I just wanted so make a sad observation regarding the new CoEd stunting requirements for level 5 teams...to max out your score sheet, the judges want to see "real" CoEd stunts...ok, fine but on the flipside did anyone ever think of the downside..for example, now coaches will be taking the "fetus fliers" that not many people like to see on senior teams..just had tryouts and some of our true level 5 athletes might not make the team...some great fliers who might be considered too big to coed will be forced to base or not even be considered for the team....some of the smaller boys with unbelievable tumbling will be replaced with bigger, stronger boys who can stunt. I did notice a little difference this year at worlds....I'm sure the 12-13 season it will even be more evident.....I'm curious to everyone's thoughts, pro or con.

Coaches will put athletes on their team that can perform the skills to max out their scoresheets. They will put a mixture: good stunters, flyers, tumblers, jumpers. Not everyone is the best at every skill but they bring their own special talent to the table. The new stunting rule just puts more emphasis on the stunt section. It doesn't necessarily mean a good tumbler won't make it!

I'm not worried about the small flyers being put on the team because they aren't rewarding true coed stunting the way it should be anyway. Teams that have true unassited stunts are being judges almost the same as teams who have 2 guys under the flyer. Until gyms catch on to what Stingray Fire, CEA Coed Elite, Cheetahs, or ACX did this past season then I don't see it changing much.
I want to love this part of the scoresheet because I prefer coed teams over all girl, but until they actually reward these unassited stunts it will bug me.

As for the flyer thing, I don't think that will happen once gyms start actually teaching coed stunts. When it comes to the smaller tumblers being replaced by bigger guys, one stunter that comes to mind for me is Eric Ortiz who was on GT Black this year. He is an amazing tumbler and in my opinion much small then the big stunter guys that the gym has, but he can do a toss stunt just as like bigger guys because he was taught how to do it correctly. Smaller boys can do these stunts as well they just have to be taught how and obtain the arm strength. Get them in the gym and they will be able to do a toss just like the bigger boys.
It wouldn't shock me if you see small girls though because when you get to college the smaller girls are the flyers on these coed teams. I could see a switch up of flyers in certain gyms that have a coed and all girl team. The smaller girls may go to the coed team while the others become all girl flyers.

WyldWon , thank you for bringing this up. My cp is one of these taller flyers and her "cheer brother" is one of these beast-tumbler smaller boys. We've already felt the sting of the coed scoring and, regardless of how good they are in other areas, it does play a factor. For one, it takes time to build up base strength. And if you have a coed team full of smaller boys, it will take some serious conditioning to get them strong enough to truly coed stunt. Further, I don't care how good your 16-year-old, 120-pound flyer is, she's still heavier than your 12-year-old, 90-pound flyer. Fetus gets the spot.

I am SICK and TIRED of hearing people complain because the "fetus" flyer is put on the team. Are you people dumb!? Have you ever looked at let's say University of Kentucky!? One of the most well respected, DYNASTIES in the country. The smallest flyer, with the best skill makes the team. As a coach, when I'm picking my team, your damn right I'm gonna pick the smallest flyer. Until there is a, "senior XL" division that is judged strictly on the size of the flyer, I'll put any age eligible flyer I want on my team. If she is age eligible, then I will place whos best for my team, and YES this year I will have several 12 year old "fetus flyers" in my team, they will do a great job and you know what, they work their asses off and deserve it!

I'm going to play Devil's Advocate here. I understand wanting to max out scores and have true coed stunting. In no way am I trying to belittle the guy's ability or work ethic, everyone is built differently, but being a male cheerleader you have it so much easier. Tumbling typically comes easily (compared to most girls) and as long as you can pick a girl up and throw a tuck, you could make almost any college team of your choice.

In the cheer world, guys have it easier, so why are the girls being punished for being tall? Guys can hit up the weight room more. If you switch a guy's flyer from a 120 lb girl to a 90 lb girl, they're going to love you as a coach, but they're not going to have to work as hard. I would like to believe that part of the reason they've made this change is because they want to see people challenged and gain strength and new skills.

does any one have an issue with the 12 year old that looks 16 for the 16 year old that looks 12?

In the cheer world, guys have it easier, so why are the girls being punished for being tall? Guys can hit up the weight room more. If you switch a guy's flyer from a 120 lb girl to a 90 lb girl, they're going to love you as a coach, but they're not going to have to work as hard. I would like to believe that part of the reason they've made this change is because they want to see people challenged and gain strength and new skills.

It isn't prejudice on the part of coaches, it's the laws of physics. It's not like cheer coaches got together and decided what would be the most best way to arrange the forces of nature to make stunting easier with short girls. It is what it is.

NOTE: We LOVE tall on our teams. It makes back spots dramatically better because of the leverage/physics involved. "Amazons" are as rare as tiny flyers (and often more valuable). We love tall, we love short & strong bases, we love tiny & flexible flyers, we love "normal" sized sides. There is basically a perfect fit for nearly any healthy body type.

I am SICK and TIRED of hearing people complain because the "fetus" flyer is put on the team. Are you people dumb!? Have you ever looked at let's say University of Kentucky!? One of the most well respected, DYNASTIES in the country. The smallest flyer, with the best skill makes the team. As a coach, when I'm picking my team, your damn right I'm gonna pick the smallest flyer. Until there is a, "senior XL" division that is judged strictly on the size of the flyer, I'll put any age eligible flyer I want on my team. If she is age eligible, then I will place whos best for my team, and YES this year I will have several 12 year old "fetus flyers" in my team, they will do a great job and you know what, they work their asses off and deserve it!
Let me rephrase since I didn't make it clear enough for you..l.fetus flyers without level 5 skill who need to be taught as apposed to average size girls who have been flying for years.

Let me rephrase since I didn't make it clear enough for you..l.fetus flyers without level 5 skill who need to be taught as apposed to average size girls who have been flying for years.
If they can be taught, they deserve the spot. If not, then the team will suffer accordingly on the scoresheet. Coaches will have to decide what makes more sense then.

I personally am more impressed with older/larger girls flying...our team 2 years ago all the flyers were 16/17....this year 3 12 yr olds....one weighs 70 lbs....all different shapes and sized, kinda looks awkward....my original point is that the coaches are picking their team differently now...our coaches always loved tall long leg flyers, now they have to take ones who are easy to throw up and toss around.

I think it is going to help college cheer in terms of the coed teams. Tradionally you see the itty bitty girls who are easy to throw around on these coed team. The competition in these coed divisions at college nationals is shrinking, the same teams are the top teams over and over again with no one new really coming in to shake things up.

I love seeing a tall flyer do some of the hard coed stunts, but at the same time I like seeing the little ones get throw around and do some difficult ones.

If the routine is set up right and the formations even it out then a mixture of big and little flyers won't look that awkward. Really if you think about it this is going to push those girls who aren't the standard little coed flyers to work harder to earn their spot because if they plan on going to any of the top schools that have a coed team they will have to work that hard to make the team.

Back