OT Colleges :)

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
Also, I know you're not supposed to pick a college based on the cheer team, but that's normally how my interest in something starts :oops: I'm most interested in UofL because of there All Girl team. I am definately not a flyer, nor do I plan to be one, but OSU I know has an AMAZING coed team, and they're adding an all girl team, which is a plus for me :)

But, I have also looked at more than just the cheer team. I looked at rooms/cost of rooms, tuition for the year (planning on applying for scholarships), areas in the city of Louisville, etc.

Monae Hey there fellow Sports Management major! Sport Psychology (obviously) has more to do with the psychological approach (think of ESPN's Sport Science) and Medicine is obviously has more to do with the medical approach. Management is more on the business side (although many schools classify it under education).

As for the colleges I haven't really researched the others but Oregon doesn't have sports management but sports marketing (I'm still applying anyways because it's my dream school).

Omg you guys I just moved into Rice on Sunday and it's PERFECT. I'm sorry I just felt the need to post here cause I'm so amped right now. I can't believe this wasn't my first choice at first cause I'm in love.

Wow! You must be a brainiac! Congratulations on Rice. You are in a great area. Study hard and enjoy.

Monae Hey there fellow Sports Management major! Sport Psychology (obviously) has more to do with the psychological approach (think of ESPN's Sport Science) and Medicine is obviously has more to do with the medical approach. Management is more on the business side (although many schools classify it under education).

As for the colleges I haven't really researched the others but Oregon doesn't have sports management but sports marketing (I'm still applying anyways because it's my dream school).
Why hello there!! So Psychology is more of the 'mental' approach of things (ie: if you're throwing your head back in a standing tuck, stick your tongue to the roof of your mouth to tense the neck muscles), and medicine has more to do with devoloping medicines to help certain athletes (ie: this drug will neutralize pain longer than OTC drugs)? And I'm still not understanding Management. Would it be kind of similar to owning a professional team (ie: MLB, NFL, NHL, etc) and dealing with all technical things that go on behind the scenes (ie: money, equipment, etc.)?

Why hello there!! So Psychology is more of the 'mental' approach of things (ie: if you're throwing your head back in a standing tuck, stick your tongue to the roof of your mouth to tense the neck muscles), and medicine has more to do with devoloping medicines to help certain athletes (ie: this drug will neutralize pain longer than OTC drugs)? And I'm still not understanding Management. Would it be kind of similar to owning a professional team (ie: MLB, NFL, NHL, etc) and dealing with all technical things that go on behind the scenes (ie: money, equipment, etc.)?
Yup! I got a brochure in the mail once about a Sports Management course in NY and it was all about the business side of it I.E. Managing a team, a budget, etc.

The psych is mental, but it's more of the "why." The perfect example for cheerleaders would be mental blocks. The psychologist works to get to the root of the problem, aka the why it's happening, and you work past it with the athlete.

i know it's only a tv show (and not 100% real life), but seriously watch 'necessary roughness' on usa network. it's kind of based off of T.O.'s life (NFL WR that basically had a mental breakdown, if you're not familiar with him) The show is about a psychologist who comes in and tries to get him over his mental block. definitely interesting.

i had the opportunity of studying under a sports psychologist throughout college and she also used hypnosis to get athletes over fears, such as a cheerleader's mental block. it sounded like a crazy interesting field.

i know nothing about sports management, so that's all i can contribute :)

The psych is mental, but it's more of the "why." The perfect example for cheerleaders would be mental blocks. The psychologist works to get to the root of the problem, aka the why it's happening, and you work past it with the athlete.

i know it's only a tv show (and not 100% real life), but seriously watch 'necessary roughness' on usa network. it's kind of based off of T.O.'s life (NFL WR that basically had a mental breakdown, if you're not familiar with him) The show is about a psychologist who comes in and tries to get him over his mental block. definitely interesting.

i had the opportunity of studying under a sports psychologist throughout college and she also used hypnosis to get athletes over fears, such as a cheerleader's mental block. it sounded like a crazy interesting field.

i know nothing about sports management, so that's all i can contribute :)
That's funny! When I told my mom the other day about what I wanted to major in, she told me about this show too! I guess I'll have to look into it if 2 people are speaking of it. :)

Also, I know you're not supposed to pick a college based on the cheer team, but that's normally how my interest in something starts :oops: I'm most interested in UofL because of there All Girl team. I am definately not a flyer, nor do I plan to be one, but OSU I know has an AMAZING coed team, and they're adding an all girl team, which is a plus for me :)

But, I have also looked at more than just the cheer team. I looked at rooms/cost of rooms, tuition for the year (planning on applying for scholarships), areas in the city of Louisville, etc.

I don't know what position you are but I know from a pretty reliable source that Louisville All Girl is in need of backspots more than anything. Like if you are an extremely good back they might be more laxed on tumbling requirements.

I'm gonna be a senior, and these are the schools I'm thinking about..they're not definite though-
I'm pretty sure I want to go south (i live in ny) so Vanderbilt, Rice, Duke, and UNC are my top choices. In state I'm thinking about NYU and Barnard. Also GW, Boston college, Lehigh, and Bucknell. I spent the summer at UCLA so I was thinking about applying there and USC, but I'm not sure I want to go that far. If anyone goes to these schools/knows a lot about them PM me :) I feel like I need to narrow this down a bit haha

Okay Monae and TinyBlondie15 ... recent (two years is still 'recent' right?) Sports Mgmt grad here! Sports Management as a whole covers a lot. Working with a professional team, as an AD, sports marketer, etc... I went to school wanting to be a high school Athletic Director. After doing internships (with my former school, a local indoor sports center, and an event planner/USAG on the Tyson American Cup) my mind changed completely. I am now pursuing (and almost done, YAY!) my master's in Sports Hospitality (combines more of the event planning with sport management) in the hopes of working for an EP in the cheer industry, or for the USOC/USAFH.

As far as school is concerned, you'll have classes in marketing, event planning, sports psych, sport in society, etc. (and some schools you can get a concentration in these). I went to Endicott College in MA, very small, private school on the North Shore. Best four years of my life, BUT ridiculously expensive. UMass Amherst is either the #1 or #2 school (it switched back and forth when I was in school, not sure where it stands now) for SM. It's had a pretty bad rep about being a 'party school' in years past, but it's definitely improved. IMO, any school can be a party school if you choose to make it one. SO, if you put in the work at UMass, you'll do great; yes it is possible to avoid parties. They also have a very good master's program for SM which could be beneficial if you're thinking of going that route too.

I also have gone to a sports psychologist to help overcome a mental block many moons ago. I was young at the time, so hadn't really thought about going into a somewhat similar field, but I was certainly fascinated by it. I'm not sure about strong schools, but one of my favorite professors in undergrad had her Ed.D. in Sports Psych from Boston University. She's worked with some amazing athletes, many professional and Olympic athletes from all over the world. She teaches a few classes and runs her own sports psych consulting business. If you'd like more info let me know and I'll see if I can contact her and you can ask her for more in depth questions.

Phew, sorry for the novel. Hopefully you'll get at least something out of it. If you have any further questions feel free to PM me.

Back