All-Star Comparative Scoring

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

My daughters former coach also coached a college competitive team..as coach she had to "value" her routine, Im assuming that meant for each stunt, pyramid, tumbling etc certain elements and percentages needed to be incorporated and given a value...Ive been saying this for years that I think each coach should list and value each element of the routine then the judges would only need to judge execution, performance and deductions. I hope I explained this properly.

My daughters former coach also coached a college competitive team..as coach she had to "value" her routine, Im assuming that meant for each stunt, pyramid, tumbling etc certain elements and percentages needed to be incorporated and given a value...Ive been saying this for years that I think each coach should list and value each element of the routine then the judges would only need to judge execution, performance and deductions. I hope I explained this properly.

Sound like the gymnastics way of scoring.

Definitely a well written and thought about response.

That being said, I'm still completed against the Universal Scoring System.
I agree with you. I can understand Les' point on everything (and not that I know him personally but from what I have seen I have a lot of respect for him), but I completely disagree with there being so much emphasis on subjectivity. I am frustrated that they advised EPs to make their bid declaration "EP choice". I was shocked that the stance is "we don't want to be like gymnastics" as far as scoring goes. I get that the scoring shouldn't be exactly the same, but nothing should be a "blank slate" as far as judging is concerned. It's disappointing - I get the impression from reading this that they won't even consider the coach and gym owner input they have received.

Quinnipiac? Sounds like you're talking about A&T or STUNT

I agree with you. I can understand Les' point on everything (and not that I know him personally but from what I have seen I have a lot of respect for him), but I completely disagree with there being so much emphasis on subjectivity. I am frustrated that they advised EPs to make their bid declaration "EP choice". I was shocked that the stance is "we don't want to be like gymnastics" as far as scoring goes. I get that the scoring shouldn't be exactly the same, but nothing should be a "blank slate" as far as judging is concerned. It's disappointing - I get the impression from reading this that they won't even consider the coach and gym owner input they have received.
I ma definitely not and expert, but based on what I am seeing happening at comps we go to and from hearing what everyone is saying I think that the scoring system is inching ever closer to everything I hated about scoring in competitive dance. So much was sooooo subjective. Sometimes it came down to the fact that a judge hated a particular piece of music, or liked the other group's costume better. There was way to much subjectivity in scores. I definitely would prefer a system that is more objective.

Yes to all of this.

The goal is to continue to evolve and improve until the culminating event at worlds. In order to do that, you have to go to where the competition that will test you and push you is located. Which is why I'm still on hold with US Airways right now booking flights.

In a sport where our family flies to compete at least three times this season (and that's because we can drive to Orlando or it would be 5) were talking about thousands of dollars...much of which the EP's are benefiting from with their autocratic stay to play initiative this year. It's not acceptable for them to put out a judging "rubric" that gives our coaches exactly no direction for how to accomplish the sole goal of the season, which is to adjust, improve and progress.

This scoresheet does not allow our coaches to do that which means we could get the same result staying local and competing against no one than flying all over the US (literally) for no benefit other than to compete against tough teams since our scores will only mean something that day with that panel of judges.

This sport has gotten ridiculously expensive just in our nine years but at least I could justify why we were hopping planes to find strong competition.

This scoresheet negates that justification entirely which only serves to make the financial burden even more acute. That's ridiculous and parents should be just as outraged as coaches that were not getting what were paying for.

Trying to quote both of you above:
I am grown up and I want to be you!!

Last edited:
I ma definitely not and expert, but based on what I am seeing happening at comps we go to and from hearing what everyone is saying I think that the scoring system is inching ever closer to everything I hated about scoring in competitive dance. So much was sooooo subjective. Sometimes it came down to the fact that a judge hated a particular piece of music, or liked the other group's costume better. There was way to much subjectivity in scores. I definitely would prefer a system that is more objective.

/headnod

When I did competitive dance, it was incredibly annoying to consider every single little thing. Not that slapping music together or choosing a bad costume should be a priority, but when a dance prodigy dances in a sports bra and shorts, and loses next to a mediocre dancer blinged out in rhinestones; that is a huge sign that something is wrong.

Would anyone be able to explain the second part of this please? Are they refocusing scores away from comparative scoring or are they going to judge by comparison?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Essentially they're saying that it is impossible for judges not to be swayed by what they have seen previously in the day, or for judges to anticipate what they will be seeing later in the day, but they will shift focus to judges awarding scores based on the most difficult things you can do at your level, not based on the most difficult skill being competed that day. That's what I got from it.

Back