High School Del Val Cheer Program

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I have heard through a varsity rep that it is the AD who truly dislikes cheer and does not like them competing and sees no point to it. He also does not like Kimi, personally.
What a hot mess and sad situation for the team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tacky.

Crazy to think that there are other programs with super supportive ADs, some of whom even coach them.

Maybe they focus on competition to the detriment of their sideline performance at basketball games. No athletic director is going to support travel to an unsanctioned athletic event to the detriment of the school cheer team's PRIMARY role: to support the other athletic programs at the school.

Maybe they focus on competition to the detriment of their sideline performance at basketball games. No athletic director is going to support travel to an unsanctioned athletic event to the detriment of the school cheer team's PRIMARY role: to support the other athletic programs at the school.
Who says that should be their primary role though? Times have changed, and maybe it's about time we begin to consider cheerleading teams as an individual, valuable team, as opposed to just the background dancers for the "real" teams.

Who says that should be their primary role though? Times have changed, and maybe it's about time we begin to consider cheerleading teams as an individual, valuable team, as opposed to just the background dancers for the "real" teams.

If you don't want to cheer games, go do all star. Where everyone can be a 30-time national champion and people change teams in a form of glorified prostitution. High school cheer, much like college cheer, is about being a representative of your school. If you can't balance that with being competitive you should not be coaching a high school team.

I'm not saying that's what the lady did, but if so, I don't blame the AD at all. If the cheer team looks like garbage on sidelines, the AD is going to get calls from parents and alumni, etc.

My AD is supportive of us missing a few basketball games because he understands that to keep kids interested in cheer, we have to compete. With that being said, my kids hate missing games so it is a delicate balance.

I have heard through a varsity rep that it is the AD who truly dislikes cheer and does not like them competing and sees no point to it. He also does not like Kimi, personally.
What a hot mess and sad situation for the team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
And I truly dislike the AD! C: (I have no idea what an "AD" is)

I feel like something is missing... An AD just doesn't like her so "Bye"...?! Doesn't make sense ... Especially a successful program

To this I agree and disagree. A lot of kids want to compete but not do Allstars, and school comps give them that. A lot of schools have moved to a sideline team and a separate competition only team. Kind of gives the best of both worlds BUT then your sideline team generally m suffers with less talented athletes. UCA cheer rules also say the teams primary focus must be supporting athletic teams, not competition. Really makes it unfair to the teams that do actually juggle both instead of just competing. That's a whole other issue and topic though!

To this I agree and disagree. A lot of kids want to compete but not do Allstars, and school comps give them that. A lot of schools have moved to a sideline team and a separate competition only team. Kind of gives the best of both worlds BUT then your sideline team generally m suffers with less talented athletes. UCA cheer rules also say the teams primary focus must be supporting athletic teams, not competition. Really makes it unfair to the teams that do actually juggle both instead of just competing. That's a whole other issue and topic though!

My team loves their games and competition and while it gets tough during BBall season, our AD is so supportive of us, in addition, no one in our league travels until playoffs so it helps.

no one in our league travels until playoffs so it helps.
That sounds amazing! We travel a lot for basketball and football. It's not uncommon to play an hour away. During basketball season that can get exhausting! This year we played a school that was new to us. 1 hr and 20 min one way from the school (over 2 from my own house). In a different time zone, 10 miles away from the next state line. Regular season, weeknight game. In the freezing cold rain. A place so rural I lost cell service 20 min off the interstate and didn't get it back until I got back to that spot after the game (thank goodness I had a built in car gps or I would have turned around and gone home.) Only 3 cheerleaders arrived on time, however no service so they couldn't call and tell me. Kids arrived all the way up to the start of the boys game. Basketball and crowd parents (what little were there) called and complained to the AD that we weren't all there on time to support. I let it go bc of the circumstances, but told our AD we will never go there again if they choose to play. I think it's important to support teams and have a team that fills the "cheer" role for the school. However when basketball teams set a schedule that includes 2 to 3 nights a week (i.e. 4 - 6 games) some of them 1 hr + away, during winter weather months and nationals season, the schools shouldn't expect the cheerleaders to be able to do it all. Heck even the basketball players don't stay the whole night, cheerleaders are the only group that stay through the entirety of events that aren't even our own. I wish more schools/ADs/other sports teams etc realized just how much the cheerleaders juggle, just to be able to have their own thing.

Eta. May come across a little salty on this one after recent school events here. Didn't intend to when I started!

Last edited:
That sounds amazing! We travel a lot for basketball and football. It's not uncommon to play an hour away. During basketball season that can get exhausting! This year we played a school that was new to us. 1 hr and 20 min one way from the school (over 2 from my own house). In a different time zone, 10 miles away from the next state line. Regular season, weeknight game. In the freezing cold rain. A place so rural I lost cell service 20 min off the interstate and didn't get it back until I got back to that spot after the game (thank goodness I had a built in car gps or I would have turned around and gone home.) Only 3 cheerleaders arrived on time, however no service so they couldn't call and tell me. Kids arrived all the way up to the start of the boys game. I let it go bc of the circumstances, but told our AD we will never go there again if they choose to play. I think it's important to support teams and have a team that fills the "cheer" role for the school. However when basketball teams set a schedule that includes 2 to 3 nights a week (i.e. 4 - 6 games) some of them 1 hr + away, during winter weather months and nationals season, the schools shouldn't expect the cheerleaders to be able to do it all. Heck even the basketball players don't stay the whole night, cheerleaders are the only group that stay through the entirety of events that aren't even our own. I wish more schools/ADs/other sports teams etc realized just how much the cheerleaders juggle, just to be able to have their own thing.

Eta. May come across a little salty on this one after recent school events here. Didn't intend to when I started!
I feel you on this. I have said all of this so many times.

At home games, the boys basketball team is usually there when the girls game starts. Almost all the girls team is gone by the end of the third unless it is a really good game.

The cheerleaders are allowed to ride the bus for basketball. The boys actually thought it was fair that the cheerleaders sit three to a seat and they could each have their own. It didn't fly, but the boys bitched about it.

I always took my cheerleaders to games because we don't live in district and sometimes it was more of an inconvenience to get her to the school. Plus, she isn't that social and hates all the drama.

So, it sucks on the other end of the state too!

That sounds amazing! We travel a lot for basketball and football. It's not uncommon to play an hour away. During basketball season that can get exhausting! This year we played a school that was new to us. 1 hr and 20 min one way from the school (over 2 from my own house). In a different time zone, 10 miles away from the next state line. Regular season, weeknight game. In the freezing cold rain. A place so rural I lost cell service 20 min off the interstate and didn't get it back until I got back to that spot after the game (thank goodness I had a built in car gps or I would have turned around and gone home.) Only 3 cheerleaders arrived on time, however no service so they couldn't call and tell me. Kids arrived all the way up to the start of the boys game. Basketball and crowd parents (what little were there) called and complained to the AD that we weren't all there on time to support. I let it go bc of the circumstances, but told our AD we will never go there again if they choose to play. I think it's important to support teams and have a team that fills the "cheer" role for the school. However when basketball teams set a schedule that includes 2 to 3 nights a week (i.e. 4 - 6 games) some of them 1 hr + away, during winter weather months and nationals season, the schools shouldn't expect the cheerleaders to be able to do it all. Heck even the basketball players don't stay the whole night, cheerleaders are the only group that stay through the entirety of events that aren't even our own. I wish more schools/ADs/other sports teams etc realized just how much the cheerleaders juggle, just to be able to have their own thing.

HONESTLY, If I had to be at every home and away boys and girls game 1: I probably wouldn't have been able to coach and 2: I would need a bigger staff.

Basically about 8 years ago in our league, someone complained that no one cheered for the girls so now, they make us cheer girls and boys home and playoffs, I am not complaining. No one cheers JV boys and my JV cheers varsity girls and Varsity cheers Varsity boys, it works out so much better.

Back