All-Star Discussion - Cheer Perfection Tlc

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I hope so too, both for CTR and for the all-star cheer world. I feel bad that the rest of you who did not sign on for this are now caught in this ugly crossfire and put in the position of having to defend your gym to the cheer world on multiple social media sites. Most of us have come to understand that much of the show portrayed your gym in the way that TLC wanted to portray it, however, I think the biggest issue I had with it was not that it was focused on a level 2 team, but that the skills being demonstrated by the kids "trying out" were either far above or far below level 2 skills, yet the show made it seem to the average viewer that everyone was trying to get on that team whether they had a full or only a back headspring and regardless of age.
I just hate that the overall focus of the show was on the drama mamas and the coach's inner circle rather than on the all star athletes in your gym who are working on skills to make the teams they should be on, and that this path that TLC has chosen then becomes representative of all-star cheerleading to the general public.

Agreed. I could care less what level they show, but make it "accurate" whatever it is. My biggest issue was with all of the inaccuracies with respect to the sport.

Dont really feel sorry for anything that has come of this! the gym owner has worked with TLC before so she knows EXACTLY what they were looking for... TLC cant "edit" anything creatively if they dont have it on tape! So, you gave them what they wanted... Look at the other shows from TLC, they make their money off of shows that make the subjects look stupid so those watching can feel better about themselves.

Dont really feel sorry for anything that has come of this! the gym owner has worked with TLC before so she knows EXACTLY what they were looking for... TLC cant "edit" anything creatively if they dont have it on tape! So, you gave them what they wanted... Look at the other shows from TLC, they make their money off of shows that make the subjects look stupid so those watching can feel better about themselves.
I do still feel bad for the kids and parents now feeling they have to defend themselves to the all-star cheer world for actions that their gym owner took. Especially for those not featured; they did not sign on for this backlash. Those parents featured were for the most part on T&T as well so they knew exactly how TLC would portray them.

Here's my only input. I have no problem with a show featuring a level 2 team. That's fine. They work hard too. My problem is showing a coach telling a child to "just throw the skill, you won't get hurt" and then seeing that child land on their head. How does that make the allstar cheerleading industry look? Because from my prospective if I was just watching this show out of curiosity I would just add this to my checklist of activities my child would never participate in. I'm sure that she is a good coach. And maybe that was just for drama, I have no idea. But safety should always come first, cameras or no cameras.

They should have just called Cheer Moms and been done with it. Instead, based on the title of the show and the previews it looks as though the focus is on driving a competitive cheer team and it is not. It is on the gym dynamics and that is what is bringing in viewers. Be honest - how many of you re-watched it last night?

With that being said, I could care less if it is about a level 2 team. I cared more about how the sport was portrayed. I do not know how many people asked me when I came to work the next morning after the first showing "is that how it is at your gym?" That is what the producers care about lets be real, they are out to produce a profitable show.

If TLC is running the show and doing such a bad job at portraying what really happens, then the gyms owners are okay with with it by allowing it to continue. If there was somewhere else to cheer, I would leave that gym because I wouldnt want to have my CP feeling so bad about whats being said.

Someone (CTR owners) please remember these are kids that are being put our there, if you want it about you, keep the cameras on you. These kids deserve to have their hard work show, not craziness for ratings.

or atleast a well known gym with good lower level teams: usa wildcats, vizion, steel city, gbe and many more!

Just making a point here but until I joined FB I had only heard of one of those teams and still don't know one of them. Well known depends on personal experience.

I have been quite about this show for a while. I have read all the threads and taken some time to soak up everything. The main issue I have aside from the gross inaccuracy shown of our sport, is I can't believe a gym owner would let her gym be on this show. I think that speaks volumes about her as a coach. I can't imagine letting my kids be nationally televised falling on their heads at tryouts, let alone telling them to do a skill they barely have on the cheese mat on the floor. As a coach I am SO appalled at her behavior. This show speaks volumes as to what type of program she is running...and the routines I have seen from this gym show exactly what the by product of how she runs her program.

I'm just disgusted because I feel like the owner was more concerned about her own agenda instead of the growth of the sport we are all so very much in love with.... I have nothing against the parents or kids. I imagine that the CTR kids work just as hard as the kids at our gym. I just think that this tacky show discourages parents of kids wanting to give allstars a try. :(

Sorry, but I don't feel bad for anyone involved with this show- everyone knew exactly what they were gettting in for, and what could and probably was going to happen. This whole "Editting made us look bad" is a bowl of B.S- anyone who has seen anything on T.V, especially TLC knows how these things turn out. The owner of CTR obviously knows the difference between pagaents and T&T, and she can't pretend she didn't see this coming. I feel bad for the kids for having lunatics as parents, and especially for Brooke. But please, don't pull an innocent victim kind of act here.

Sorry, but I don't feel bad for anyone involved with this show- everyone knew exactly what they were gettting in for, and what could and probably was going to happen. This whole "Editting made us look bad" is a bowl of B.S- anyone who has seen anything on T.V, especially TLC knows how these things turn out. The owner of CTR obviously knows the difference between pagaents and T&T, and she can't pretend she didn't see this coming. I feel bad for the kids for having lunatics as parents, and especially for Brooke. But please, don't pull an innocent victim kind of act here.

I agree. Editing didn't make your gym look bad, the people on the show did.

Wow! Are you from Jersey? :) We had the same experience at our old gym. I am amazed at how many parents have similar experiences as well!! Owners like this tend to load their schedules with small competitions - in our case we went to a lot of local high school (rec) competitions where we were the only gym in the all star division - or, if there was another all star team, they were from an upstart all star program. Of course, we thought we were amazing. The entire high school gymnasium would roar for our teams because compared to no one or an inexperienced team, we are truly spectacular!! We went to nationals far, far, far away, not the big ones, sort of local nationals for teams in those states. When we did go against comparable teams, and lost, there was always one reason: WE WERE ROBBED! Judges didn't like us, they were jealous - basically insert any excuse that didn't include the routine was amazing for local high school comps, but rather ordinary for all star teams!

Just like you, I had no idea about NCA, UCA, Worlds, etc. I remember seeing all star cheer on ESPN and thought that was the college level - didn't realize it was Worlds - never saw F5, Top Gun, World Cup, ACE, CEA, Cheer Athletics, Cali, etc. Didn't even know who they were. Didn't know what to look for in a routine and basically thought if the flyer didn't fall, you won! Well, luckily a situation arose that led me to our current gym! Around the same time, a mom told me about fierceboard and that's where I began to educate myself on the sport. What people don't realize is if you are stuck on one of these teams, you are in a bubble! You don't talk or speak to other teams because you are brainwashed to believe they are your competition. You think they are jealous of you and they start to tremble when you enter the gym. (Sad!!) Glad I never felt that way. I watched the competitions and, although we want our team to be successful, I clapped for other teams too and loved the effort the kids put forth on the mat!

We love our gym. We are small, but we go against the big boys and girls - which to me is an honor! Sometimes they win, sometimes we win. One thing I have noticed is that when you are from a more respectable gym, you find that the other gyms are rooting for you too! That's awesome! When I see the kids clapping for other teams, I love it!! Our first comp of the season who was there? World Cup! I had to compose myself because I thought I was gonna lose it when the Shooting Stars walked out! What?!! The very first youtbe video of a cheer routine I watched was the Shooting Stars, not sure which year it was but it was from a Worlds performance and at the end I was actually crying. (Don't laugh!) So now we get to see World Cup, NJSE, SJS, Twisters, Marlins, etc. at our comps. We were at the Jamfest Super Nationals and watched the Majors. OMG! F5 - I videotaped them and all you hear is me and the girl next to me screaming like crazy, Top Gun, ACE, I couldn't believe it! Took my CP to Worlds this year to cheer on our two teams and of course watch the best of the best. Funny, last year I didn't know anything about Worlds and this year we were there. I still have soooooo much to learn, i.e. I hear people talking how Top Gun Large Coed is slipping and I love their routine from this past year so much - it's crazy! But I did go back and look at their 2008 and 2010 routines. I think I judge more on how many goosebumps I get, because when they are on that level, I can't imagine how hard it is to judge them.

Well, just wanted to share that we had a similar experience. Glad we both moved on and are getting the real experience!

Hey, we've moved on also.......and if I'm corect, we are in the same place...lol.

Back