All-Star Discussion - Cheer Perfection Tlc

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Forgive my misunderstanding but this post is all about you. What does your child want to do? I'd hate for her to have to take a break because your attitude toward this industry changed. If I discern the major issue everyone has with this show correctly, the focus is on the parents and not the athletes. The show should be about the kids, not the moms. This post reflects that concern.

She what's to cheer but as her parent I have to decide what's best for her.

I feel like the athletes are most definitely being picked on. I can't tell you the number of people I've heard make fun of Brooke for doing a forward roll. Someone posted on Facebook and Twitter that she did her backhand spring they just didn't show it. Several freeze frames posted on this board of Alana and Cassadee falling in the middle of their pass (or standing tumbling) I can only imagine how this makes those girls feel.

So yes I guess it is about me, its me me wanting to protect my child from ridicule and bashing because people don't like the show, the moms, the level featured, the technique, the body position....etc.

I feel like the athletes are most definitely being picked on. I can't tell you the number of people I've heard make fun of Brooke for doing a forward roll. Someone posted on Facebook and Twitter that she did her backhand spring they just didn't show it. Several freeze frames posted on this board of Alana and Cassadee falling in the middle of their pass (or standing tumbling) I can only imagine how this makes those girls feel.

So yes I guess it is about me, its me me wanting to protect my child from ridicule and bashing because people don't like the show, the moms, the level featured, the technique, the body position....etc.
You shouldn't feel bad for wanting to protect your child from all that. It is fully your decision.

As a parent you have to do what you have to do, but remember that you can't shelter your child from meanness---you can only teach coping skills. You can also try to keep media exposure down by not encouraging YouTube, Twitter, and Facebook posts and keeping her off of TV (I know your DD isn't in this show). Unfortunately, the exposure on the Internet either intentionally or unintentionally that's common now makes this difficult, no matter the sport or activity. I'd just hate to see your daughter suffer due to a knee jerk decision based in something that will probably blow over.

As a parent you have to do what you have to do, but remember that you can't shelter your child from meanness---you can only teach coping skills. You can also try to keep media exposure down by not encouraging YouTube, Twitter, and Facebook posts and keeping her off of TV (I know your DD isn't in this show). Unfortunately, the exposure on the Internet either intentionally or unintentionally that's common now makes this difficult, no matter the sport or activity. I'd just hate to see your daughter suffer due to a knee jerk decision based in something that will probably blow over.
I was thinking the same thing - keep her off social media as much as you can especially with regards to the show and the gym. I know when we left our first gym there was so much nonsense bring posted on Facebook and drama being instigated by the coaches that I needed to remove all access to their nonsense - deleted them all on Facebook for myself and cp and moved on with our lives and continued cheering.
Of course you want to protect her from all of this. I'm sure you're not the only mom at CTR feeling this way - have you met with each other and your owners to discuss everything that has transpired since the show aired?

I think that I have found where you are confused. No one is making fun of Brooke's forward roll. They are making fun of the fact that Brooke's mom thinks that a forward roll is a level 3 skill. Fierceboard has its issues, but bashing a child trying their best is really not the way the board operates.

Maybe, just maybe the show would have been alright, REGARDLESS of the level they are on, because don't we all put in the time, dedication, the sweat and the pain? But maybe it is the overwhelming drama infused into the show that has taken the cheerleading named and slandered it once more. People would love flipping, twisting, high-flying athletes, however the lower levels are still part of our sport! Just because it isn't an elite, level five, reigning World Champion team does not put a bad name to our sport, it is how the people ACT on this show. I watched with my friends (non cheerleaders) who were also absolutely disgusted. Not because they weren't doing "cool tricks" because of the horrible, drama filled mess it was.

the level 6 routine is not bad. (especially when comparing them to most of the "just for fun," not-going-for-a-worlds-bid level 6's i have seen at local comps)

just out of curiosity, how many of these kids are homegrown?

You are going to find this in ANY sport, not just cheer. For example, baseball: when a player makes and awesome play or messes up, it is shown, discussed, laughed on ESPN, sports radio, message boards, office internet e-mail, etc. How is this any different? Even if a "fan" messes up they are embarassed and harrassed as an innocent bystander (I am thinking of the guy who caught a ball and messed up a play???) The people on this board are very passionate about this sport and treat it as a sport just like any other sport. As Alisha Dunlap says, it's not Rah-Rah-Ree and everyone gets a trophy. Yes, these are children, and my local news station features high school sports every week and show the best and the worst each week, etc. I am sure it does bother some athletes, and others can also laugh at themselves.

When the Olympics comes on television, the athletes (to include the minors) highlights and mistakes will be featured over and over and talked about for the next 4 years. When you "put yourself out there" on television this is to be expected.

What are your thoughts on the Toddler's and Tiara's show? In my opinion, that show is making fun of the children and the parents as well. Cheer Perfection is the same producers, thus they were the ones who intentionally put your gym's embarrassing business out there for everone to laugh at.

Serioulsy, I also think you are misplacing the blame and now your daughter may suffer for Alisha Dunlap's decision to sign up for this show?

I am also curious as to what ctrcheermom thinks about the cheerleaders FIRST and LAST names being posted publically on the CTR website. Most gyms will use first name and last initial, or better yet a "number" for team tryout results. This gym has no privacy issues apparently.

I'm sticking by what I said before. If they can't take the heat then get out of the gym.

I really hope CTR realizes just how much they've set themselves up to be analyzed, criticized and vilified with this show. They are about to get put through the wringer. I don't feel sorry for them about it either. Anyone that does a reality show should understand that.

Just thought i'd throw this out there; According to RD (one of the coaches) apparently Brooke (I can do standing tumbling *forward roll) did something else, the show made her do that....
Thats just what RD said on twitter...

Best of luck to you no matter what you decide to do. As with everything, the cheer world is constantly changing and moving forward. I do however agree that few sports have been pushing the envelope like cheer in the last few years. Skills that would have won worlds 7 years ago would even perhaps be laughed at by today's standards.

There were some things in your original post I forgot to mention in my first response. You have to understand that those of us who are on these boards are crazy over cheering! :) Whether it's our own child who competes at worlds or if we are just spectators. This board is a fan page for the best of the best and those who want to rise to that level. So seeing a youth 2 team with poor technique can be disheartening for some. Each year the sport is moving leaps and bounds to get better skills and demonstrate the hard work and commitment each kid brings to a team that few in the outside world know of and understand. As you and others said, hopefully if another episode is aired it will demonstrate less scary tumbling, (even on the landed passes) and better stunt skills. Level 2 routines if done well can be just as amazing as level 5 with the right timing and choreography. imo.

Also in regards to mentioning that jamfest and cheersport are not deemed worthy in the eyes of many here.. that's not true at all. Jamfest and cheersport both have amazing local and national competitions and are well respected by many. The local/nationals are just that though. Local. Each of these huge cheer companies host Super nationals with tens of thousands of cheerleaders. Being on national TV and saying you are cheersport national champions is technically correct but unless it was the Atlanta National in February most don't view that as a huge bragging right.

I hope it all works out for you. Many including myself have been a part of a gym that has led us to believe we were something more than we were. However we were spared the scrutiny to our children and parents on national TV. If your child is happy there, then stay. If not, give her a shot at a different gym. At least now if you stay you have a better of idea of what your gym is and there's nothing wrong with that if it's a good fit for you. Good luck and I hope it all works out. :)
Very well said! If you know what is out there and what your gym is about and you still make the choice to stay, then that gym is the right fit for you. We changed gyms this year for many reasons, but basically because we only went to local High School competitions where there was maybe one other All Star team in our division and there was really no competition so we, of course, won. My eyes were opened when we went to Cheersport in Atlanta. Our Sr. Lvl. 4 took 2nd, but it was a really broken down level (A & B, small gym) so even though that was an accomplishment, we really saw what else was out there. It's a shame because we were happy there for 3 years, but drama, and a gym that lost its integrity, opened up our eyes to what is out there and my daughter wants to go to Worlds and I knew if we stayed at our old gym, that would never be a possibility. We are so happy at the new gym, which is so organized and run so well and will give my daughter a chance to live her dream. So, sorry if I rambled, to make a point, it's all in what you want out of a gym and where your daughter will be happiest.

Very well said! If you know what is out there and what your gym is about and you still make the choice to stay, then that gym is the right fit for you. We changed gyms this year for many reasons, but basically because we only went to local High School competitions where there was maybe one other All Star team in our division and there was really no competition so we, of course, won. My eyes were opened when we went to Cheersport in Atlanta. Our Sr. Lvl. 4 took 2nd, but it was a really broken down level (A & B, small gym) so even though that was an accomplishment, we really saw what else was out there. It's a shame because we were happy there for 3 years, but drama, and a gym that lost its integrity, opened up our eyes to what is out there and my daughter wants to go to Worlds and I knew if we stayed at our old gym, that would never be a possibility. We are so happy at the new gym, which is so organized and run so well and will give my daughter a chance to live her dream. So, sorry if I rambled, to make a point, it's all in what you want out of a gym and where your daughter will be happiest.

Thanks..I appreciate everyone sharing their experiences with me. The different perspectives are really helpful. Several of you guys have pointed out some thing's that warrant some serious thought.

Thanks, for taking the time

Can someone please explain this youth silver thing to me? Why does a kid working halves think her spot will be taken from a girl trying to learn a bhs? What level is this team?

Back