All-Star Disqualifying Cheaters

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

"Also, does sandbagging fall under this "cheating" thing? It's sounds like the gyms that were reprimanded were done so because they had age illegible athletes on their teams."

I think we view "sandbagging" as competing in a division you are age-eligible for, but at a level significantly below what you "should" be.
Sandbagging wouldn't even be a problem if our sport held every team to the same standard technique-wise, regardless of age or level.

I'm glad this is being addresses and dealt with. Though I feel bad for the kids if they didn't know. I'm going to assume they didn't, though parents may have been aware. How horrible for the kids to lose when the coaches and club are making stupid decisions.

I'm glad this is being addresses and dealt with. Though I feel bad for the kids if they didn't know. I'm going to assume they didn't, though parents may have been aware. How horrible for the kids to lose when the coaches and club are making stupid decisions.

I'd be surprised if the kids didn't know, or at least some of the kids. I think it's more likely the parents who would have been clueless. Especially on a senior team, the kids are old enough to know the rules. So unless the gym made the athlete lie to everyone at the gym about their age and there were never any "oops" moments among athletes, parents or coaching staff, than someone else knew that their own gym was cheating.

"Also, does sandbagging fall under this "cheating" thing? It's sounds like the gyms that were reprimanded were done so because they had age illegible athletes on their teams."

I think we view "sandbagging" as competing in a division you are age-eligible for, but at a level significantly below what you "should" be.

Ok, let me reword my question, because I know that sandbagging isn't technically cheating.

Is sandbagging something NCA will be looking out for when reviewing teams and the team rosters? And will those teams also be turned into the USASF?

It'd be fairly easy to compare the roster for Awesome Athletics Junior 4 team from 2 low level NCA events with the new Junior 3 team from the same gym that is attending NCA Nationals and see if its the same team at a lower level. Tell teams they need to submit a legitimate reason for the level drop or they will be forced to compete at their appropriate level. Even better, Varsity could potentially keep a copy of every team roster that is submitted at a Varsity event so the Varsity EPs could compare rosters across all EPs. So NCA could pull past rosters from Spirit Sports events or All Star Challenge events or any other EP event. Use their "bigness" for good.

I would SHOCKED if it was Excite. They have zero reason to cheat considering their teams tend to do well. Granted we don't attend that gym but I just can't see it.

Ok, let me reword my question, because I know that sandbagging isn't technically cheating.

Is sandbagging something NCA will be looking out for when reviewing teams and the team rosters? And will those teams also be turned into the USASF?

It'd be fairly easy to compare the roster for Awesome Athletics Junior 4 team from 2 low level NCA events with the new Junior 3 team from the same gym that is attending NCA Nationals and see if its the same team at a lower level. Tell teams they need to submit a legitimate reason for the level drop or they will be forced to compete at their appropriate level. Even better, Varsity could potentially keep a copy of every team roster that is submitted at a Varsity event so the Varsity EPs could compare rosters across all EPs. So NCA could pull past rosters from Spirit Sports events or All Star Challenge events or any other EP event. Use their "bigness" for good.
But, again....sandbagging isn't illegal. Until there's a rule against it there's nothing to enforce. Currently, NCA is the only EP that even tries to address it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also ...in many areas of this country cheer gyms are not like Starbucks. Many people don't have a choice on every corner.

Right. Also, not everyone is in a position to be like "Well let's just drive an hour or hour and a half to a better place." The average parent is not going anywhere that takes longer than 30 min to get to. If Shady Athletics is their only option and their kid has been there since they were Tiny 1 and they're Senior 3 now, they are not leaving over this.

Right. Also, not everyone is in a position to be like "Well let's just drive an hour or hour and a half to a better place." The average parent is not going anywhere that takes longer than 30 min to get to. If Shady Athletics is their only option and their kid has been there since they were Tiny 1 and they're Senior 3 now, they are not leaving over this.

Yup! It's no secret that I drive a distance to bring CP to what I consider a quality gym, but even those who knows the gym's amazing reputation can not understand why I'd drive that long to come to a cheer gym and they are gym parents. A lot of them simply picked the gym out of convenience and location.

Hey guys, thanks for all the support of the decision but there's no need to go on a witch hunt. I get that you are curious but there are a couple of things to remember:

1. There are varying factors that lead to ineligible athletes and incorrect rosters. I specifically didn't use the word 'cheating' in my post.

2. Ultimately, gym owners are responsible for the rosters, but there are several other parties who could be responsible for the misinformation, putting gym owners in harms way and threatening their livelihood.

3. Regardless of these unfortunate situations, there are innocent people affected negatively. Dragging this out and hunting out the parties involved only makes it worse for those who are innocent.

Please rest assured that we are handling the situation as responsibly and fairly as possible. Thanks for your support and reinforcement that we made the right decision. :)

Hey guys, thanks for all the support of the decision but there's no need to go on a witch hunt. I get that you are curious but there are a couple of things to remember:

1. There are varying factors that lead to ineligible athletes and incorrect rosters. I specifically didn't use the word 'cheating' in my post.

2. Ultimately, gym owners are responsible for the rosters, but there are several other parties who could be responsible for the misinformation, putting gym owners in harms way and threatening their livelihood.

3. Regardless of these unfortunate situations, there are innocent people affected negatively. Dragging this out and hunting out the parties involved only makes it worse for those who are innocent.

Please rest assured that we are handling the situation as responsibly and fairly as possible. Thanks for your support and reinforcement that we made the right decision. :)

Hey, I'm just glad something was done when the information came to light! So thank you those that are holding gyms to a fair playing field. The system ain't perfect, but this is a nice direction.

Back