All-Star Do You Think Its Fair?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Dec 14, 2010
I have a question for the cheerleaders and parents, do you think its fair to compete or allow your child to compete with recreation squad and compete allstar?
Please be honest :)

Yes I see nothing wrong with it. My cp told me she wanted to cheer for a football team like a girl in her 1st grade class does. I said, that's fine as long as you don't practice the same day. Then I told her that football is outside cheerleading and she changed her mind and said she doesn't want to go outside and sweat because that's not cute!!

I feel like recreation (at least in our area) is like basic cheers. You learn cheesy routines that I could make up. You don't really tumble (unless you already have tumble experience) and the only stunt they may do once is a thigh stand.
I feel it's more so for the non advanced cheerleader. I also believe it doesn't really prepare and train you well enough to make a school team with just that alone. I was more of a softball player in school but I did try out for our middle school cheer team and didn't make it and I had been doing rec cheer for 7 years. All the girls who made it had major tumbling skills!! Not me!!

Our rec team did compete a couple times but my mom was the coach. We were pretty good but my mom was definitely not qualified and I feel like that's all rec cheer offers!

as long as not violating rules for either organization then seems fair to me.

Yes I see nothing wrong with it. My cp told me she wanted to cheer for a football team like a girl in her 1st grade class does. I said, that's fine as long as you don't practice the same day. Then I told her that football is outside cheerleading and she changed her mind and said she doesn't want to go outside and sweat because that's not cute!!

I feel like recreation (at least in our area) is like basic cheers. You learn cheesy routines that I could make up. You don't really tumble (unless you already have tumble experience) and the only stunt they may do once is a thigh stand.
I feel it's more so for the non advanced cheerleader. I also believe it doesn't really prepare and train you well enough to make a school team with just that alone. I was more of a softball player in school but I did try out for our middle school cheer team and didn't make it and I had been doing rec cheer for 7 years. All the girls who made it had major tumbling skills!! Not me!!

I agree that rec. is for teaching the basics but its just that for beginners. Last I went to a rec. competition where you had complete teams doing level 2-5 tumbling going against girls who barely have cartwheels and to make add insult to injury walk around in their national champ sweatshirts and jackets commenting on how easy the comp. was.

I agree that rec. is for teaching the basics but its just that for beginners. Last I went to a rec. competition where you had complete teams doing level 2-5 tumbling going against girls who barely have cartwheels and to make add insult to injury walk around in their national champ sweatshirts and jackets commenting on how easy the comp. was.

Yes, that happened to us as far as tumbling. The cheer teams were usually made off age. Not anything to do with skill so we would compete with round offs and then the next team would have like half BHS and a few tucks. I'd be like oh ok we suck!! I don't feel like the divisions were set up for competitiveness! I know it's different in other states but here it's not really the thing to do!!

Yes, that happened to us as far as tumbling. The cheer teams were usually made off age. Not anything to do with skill so we would compete with round offs and then the next team would have like half BHS and a few tucks. I'd be like oh ok we suck!! I don't feel like the divisions were set up for competitiveness! I know it's different in other states but here it's not really the thing to do!!
Its sad but where im from most rec. teams actually recruit lol. They have to be the right age but here they change birth certificates and all sorts of things just to have certain girls on a team.

Its sad but where im from most rec. teams actually recruit lol. They have to be the right age but here they change birth certificates and all sorts of things just to have certain girls on a team.

Oh wow, haha we only do that for baseball/softball and football!
It is sad too but people will do a lot of things just to win!!

When they are competing there should be guidelines. There is a local rec squad here who goes as far as getting coached by and having routines and music done by a well known Allstar coach in the area but they compete rec because most of the rec teams spend their time cheering for a sport where this one doesn't and most other rec squads dont have the allstar coaches doing their routines and it gives them an advantage. They are strictly a comp team. I don't see a problem with a child cheering both but if it's a competitive rec squad I think there should be definitive lines so that they are not basically an Allstar squad competing rec because it's an easy win. Please understand I am not saying there are not great rec squads because I know there are nut a team who's main focus is cheering for a sport is not gonna be as put together as a team coached solely to compete. Just my thoughts

Sure why not.....Kids want to participate in activities with their friends from school. There are a lot of parents who don't want to, or can't, make the financial or time commitment to All Star Cheer, so some kids end up cheering for a Rec team just to be with their friends. I know there are some programs who will not allow, or make it hard for All Star kids to be part of their organization. I don't think that is fair......

omg a rec team? im not even sure i understand the concept of a rec team completely because we dont have anything like that where i live. i have never seen a rec team or a pop warner team. i didn't even know rec teams competed, let alone recruit!

i think it is completely up to do that kid. if they are willing to put in the hard time and balancing everything out then good for them! i once did 3 teams at my all star gym, school team, and the rec team that was a few towns over (i moved from there and all my friends were still there so i didnt want to leave) and this year i am doing my schools varsity team, and one or two teams at my all star gym. it is alot of work with school but i am willing to do and dont mind always being busy. it keeps my mind off of alot of things. for my mom she doesnt mind it too much, the driving is alot but she would rather have me doing this then getting myself into trouble:)

A lot of times, I think competing rec has a lot to do with what league and town you are cheering for. For example, in my area, there are two leagues. One is Pop Warner, and the other is American Youth Football and Cheer (AYC). In our area, the two leagues are completely different in terms of difficulty, with AYC being the greater. But if you travel about 30 miles towards the city, Pop Warner dominates, and the AYC teams are basic and undeveloped programs. There are other leagues across the country, but if you are looking for a competitive program, look around at other towns around you. The program in my town is small, unorganized, and badly coached. So instead of cheering in my own town, I cheered in the town over, which is extremely successful at local, regional, and national competitions in the AYC league.

I know coach for this same town, the team I coach has a very wide range of abilities. I have 3-4 girls that cannot do a cartwheel, 5 girls with toetouch tucks and 2 girls working on running fulls. I have 20 girls that compete on well-known all star teams (levels 2 through 5), and 15 girls that do cheering to be with their friends. While to many, this could be a really frustrating experience, I enjoy the challenge. It teaches the girls to appreciate each other's strengths, as we have girls that can't do forward rolls, and the more advanced athletes learn how to appreciate the strengths of their beginner teammates. The girls have an awesome sense of respect, teamwork, and sportsmanship from working with a variety of abilities.

Rec and all star are two different sports, IMO. As long as the cheerleader never has to compete against him/herself, I think it's perfectly fair.

Now that is just unfair. If this is a pop-warner little scholars organization then they are blatently violating rules.

Back