College Entry level college cheer teams???

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jan 24, 2024
I'm a junior in highschool that wants to cheer in college. I have no stunting or base experience and my highest tumbling skill is a roundoff backhandspring. Does anyone know any entry level college cheerleading teams or teams that aren't super competitive to try out for in Alabama??? cheerleading is my dream :)

I'd look into junior/community colleges or stunt/acrobatics college teams in you area. Many times they will provide opportunities to learn and grow your cheer skills.

If you're willing to go to GA, Agnes Scott college is sideline only, and seems pretty flexible as far as skills. (My CP goes there,but decided not to cheer because knee issues and sideline cheer really don't mix.)

For this year, you might want to check and see if Champion Force exists in your area. It's a lot cheaper than All Star (I think here it's $9/week), and with a RO-BHS, you could probably make their level 5, which would have you working on, mostly, level 1 and 2 stunting skills. All competitions are in-state except for Nationals (and teams would have earned bids at the winter State competition, so the only way you'd go to Nationals coming in this year is if they needed a substitute), but since it's officially 2 seasons/yr, coming in mid-year is possible. If they don't have a level 5 or won't allow mid-year tryouts, as a high school student, you'd automatically be on level 4, which is the equivalent of level 1 all star with some stunting variations.

The average skill level is a lot lower and less intense than All Star-or, here in TN, than school cheer which is dominated by folks who did All Star since age 3-4, but it would give you some cheer experience.

For this year, you might want to check and see if Champion Force exists in your area. It's a lot cheaper than All Star (I think here it's $9/week), and with a RO-BHS, you could probably make their level 5, which would have you working on, mostly, level 1 and 2 stunting skills. All competitions are in-state except for Nationals (and teams would have earned bids at the winter State competition, so the only way you'd go to Nationals coming in this year is if they needed a substitute), but since it's officially 2 seasons/yr, coming in mid-year is possible. If they don't have a level 5 or won't allow mid-year tryouts, as a high school student, you'd automatically be on level 4, which is the equivalent of level 1 all star with some stunting variations.

The average skill level is a lot lower and less intense than All Star-or, here in TN, than school cheer which is dominated by folks who did All Star since age 3-4, but it would give you some cheer experience.
Thanks for the suggestion, but I'm mainly interested in sideline cheering, competition isn't really a must.

It's a way to get some experience to have it on your college application. It's hard to get sideline experience as a teen in the South without having a lot of prior cheer background, although some schools do a competitive squad for football and a sideline only squad for basketball, and have separate JV and varsity for both. Most rec sideline programs stop when the kids reach middle school.

Back