All-Star Fees For Reviewing Score Sheets?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Oct 28, 2015
Not sure if this is a new thing or not but this is the first time I'm hearing of it...going to a competition this weekend and was informed that if we wanted to dispute a score we received, it would be a $50 fee (and thats for each thing you want to review...so stunt difficulty and a boundary violation would be a $100 fee). Anyone else have any insight or seen this before??? I've been hearing a lot of nightmare stories about scoring this season and I feel like this is just a way to prevent people from questioning the judges at the competition...hopefully thats not the case though...thoughts or opinions?

Bumping.

That sounds like a hustle! Just for disputing scores?
Yep just to dispute...if you are correct on the dispute you get your $50 BUT...for me when I dispute a score its more about trying to learn the system (considering it gets changed all the time). Also its a $100 fee if you bring up questioning about another team

Whaaaat??? So if you feel a legitimate mistake was made in the scoring, you have to pay to have it reviewed/corrected? Can you tell us what competition this is?

If they want to cut down on frivolous reviews, they should handle it the way the NFL handles play reviews initiated by a team. If they find an error in your favor, you don't have to pay. If they keep the score as-is, you have to pay.

Yep just to dispute...if you are correct on the dispute you get your $50 BUT...for me when I dispute a score its more about trying to learn the system (considering it gets changed all the time). Also its a $100 fee if you bring up questioning about another team

I think I am okay with this. I don't thin you should be disputing scores unless you have a legitimate reason to do so. Maybe I am wrong, but I would think that EPs would prefer to explain the system to you before the event...

So you might not be disputing for a real reason?

I have heard of the cash for a dispute before, can't recall what comps, but the purpose of them is to make sure coaches are confident in what they are doing and not just arguing hoping to get a few more points.

**There is a fine line between looking Fierce in a routine and looking Ehr Meh Gawwd**

So you might not be disputing for a real reason?

I have heard of the cash for a dispute before, can't recall what comps, but the purpose of them is to make sure coaches are confident in what they are doing and not just arguing hoping to get a few more points.

**There is a fine line between looking Fierce in a routine and looking Ehr Meh Gawwd**
Noooo...sorry I didn't sound clear! Not that I don't think its a legitimate reason to dispute but I'm like not trying to 'insult' the judges or anything...just trying to figure out why here at xyz comp I got a 4.6 for difficulty yet at this comp I got a 4.2 for difficulty. I'm not quite sure how to word what I'm trying to say LOL.

Maybe the cash for dispute is more common...I just never heard of it before! Does make sense how some coaches could go overboard and this be a reason to prevent it.

Whaaaat??? So if you feel a legitimate mistake was made in the scoring, you have to pay to have it reviewed/corrected? Can you tell us what competition this is?

If they want to cut down on frivolous reviews, they should handle it the way the NFL handles play reviews initiated by a team. If they find an error in your favor, you don't have to pay. If they keep the score as-is, you have to pay.
Mardi Gras

Noooo...sorry I didn't sound clear! Not that I don't think its a legitimate reason to dispute but I'm like not trying to 'insult' the judges or anything...just trying to figure out why here at xyz comp I got a 4.6 for difficulty yet at this comp I got a 4.2 for difficulty. I'm not quite sure how to word what I'm trying to say LOL.

Maybe the cash for dispute is more common...I just never heard of it before! Does make sense how some coaches could go overboard and this be a reason to prevent it.
I get what you are trying to do. Being a subjective scoring sport I'm not sure there is a set answer or way to do this.

I get what you are trying to do. Being a subjective scoring sport I'm not sure there is a set answer or way to do this.

Yeah...I feel like there's the "why did you give me this score?" And "why didn't you give me this score?" Way to look at it

I actually really like this idea. If you dispute a score and they say you were right you get your money back?

See what this does is reduce the amount of people who dispute their scores (which I would say is close to 80% of teams that compete). You can see how that can really slow things down. So now you will only dispute the scores if you 'know' there is an issue.

BTW this was started in gymnastics AND I have mentioned it a few times on here to lesson the amount of people who complain and 'try' to manipulate the score up (which happens a lot that people 'try').

Like others have said, the point is to lessen the number of people that come up to argue a score just to argue and try to scrape up a few more tenths of a point. Having worked for and EP and as a scoring rep, I've gotten some really unbelievable challenges and had a lot of "teach me about cheerleading" moments... Last season I had a coach come and ask me why her team scored so low, and I prepared to review her routine by asking "how many level appropriate skills do you have?" and she looked at me like I had five heads and said "I don't know what that means."

From my experience as a coach and working for an EP, I generally feel that most EPs (or the scoring director of the EP) are willing to help you before and after an event... If you call after the event and ask for insight on why you are scoring lower than you thought you would, they will talk. If you call before to ask questions, they will talk. Competition day is not the day to try to learn what's going on with the scoring system.

I see no real issue with EPs charging a fee to review as long as they are A) very clear about it prior to the event and B) going to give you back the money you put down if you turn out to be right. Charging someone to find out they're right seems insane.

Yeah...I feel like there's the "why did you give me this score?" And "why didn't you give me this score?" Way to look at it
You should know what range you will fall into before going to the comp based on the scoring rubics. Where you fall in that range will be up to the judges and it will vary from comp to comp and judging panel to judging panel.

Back