All-Star Furthest Weekly Commute

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

If you live in Florida and fly out to Cali/Texas to cheer there...why not just Top Gun?
I understand why for some people, but if you're just flying out there to be on a Worlds contender...isn't that what Top Gun is...

I was an athlete on Miami Elite's Large Coed team in 2005 and a lot of drama stirred when I wanted to transition from Encore Cheer and Dance to Top Gun, I didn't want to be in a place where they already had bad thoughts about me and hadn't even met me. And I just want to confirm that I wasn't just flying out to California for a world's team, I was going with a team that appreciated me and made me feel very welcome, respected me.

We live an 1.5 hours from CEA Kernersville and people come from ALL OVER to cheer there! We may actually try out next year and make the drive, that's as far as I'd go!

We commute to San Diego from Phoenix, Az My CP is On Cali Coed. But my niece lives there so she is staying with her for the summer and then we'll start the commute.

Two of my co workers drove from VA to Pennsylvania almost every weekend to cheer on CheerTyme's IOC5. It was like a 5 hour commute

I think having to fly somewhere just to cheer is insane. I drive an hour away (with traffic) and for me that's excessive but she gets to work with Gianni so I'll make an exception. My neighbor and I carpool the kids so I only have to go out once a week . I'll say this: If my daughter gets to level 5 and really wants to cheer for a super elite gym, she better find a sponsor cause this kid (me) right here isn't paying for her to fly anywhere.

For my college cheer, I live 3 hours (one way) from my home. It's great when I live in the dorms, but when I'm out for holidays or during the summer it's really difficult. Sometimes I'll be able to stay with a family friend but that's still one hour away.
I can't imagine people flying to practices. I totally understand wanting to cheer on Cali or CA or Top Gun, but how can they afford this?! Maybe I'm just a broke college student, but flying can be so freaking expensive!

Probably over-stepping my Newbie bounds but... I never thought I'd find spending almost as much on cheer each month as my mortgage, buying an 11 year old $80 cheer shoes, and working extra shifts to cover cheerleading, acceptable or feasible. But I do it ;) I'm so thankful that we're at CA and have unlimited possibilities for the future (if that's what's CP chooses) but I have to think those upper level athletes are like Olympians! They travel/move to train with the best coaches who will give them the best opportunity for success. I've learned to never say never :)

Once you are at that level though, if your dream is to be a Shooting Star/SE/Cheer Athletics athlete, etc. and you have the skills, why stay somewhere close that doesn't fit your needs? Is it a big time and money commitment? Yes, but I'm sure those athletes wouldn't have traded the experience for anything in the world (especially if they got a worlds ring!). I highly doubt these athletes are the ones that have been level 5 kids for only 1-2 seasons......they have probably been a level 5 athlete for several seasons and tried the local/closer gyms that have world contention teams, but needed a change to reach their full potential.
I live in northern NJ, about an hour away from WC. However, I live just 5 minutes away from JuST Cheer, an excellent gym with a top ten worlds team. I'd go to WC, but I'm only a level 2 or 3. If I get to the point where I can get on a WC worlds team, the drive will be worth it.

The higher the level, sometimes you have to do what you have to do. I couldn't afford it, I wish I could. I said I never would travel when my CP was younger. Now she is level 5, I have considered finding a job in Texas so she could go to CA but I couldn't afford to fly her to practices. No way, her cheer locally is expensive enough.

Back