All-Star Gas And Traveling

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I agree with everything you said!!
Even though the commuting is hell for everyone involved and my husband would be able to commute to work (NYC) if we moved closer to the gym I think its unfair to ask my entire family to pick up and move for the sake of cheer.
As far as sending my child to a bost family...that is also out of the question! My main job as a parent is to raise my kids till they don't need raising anymore.
To each thier own!
We will always raise our kids, even if from afar. Non-cp is 21 with a child living at home part time and we continue to help raise her. It never ends.

NYC public transportation is actually awesome (although I have never been on Chicago's so I can't compare the two either). I started taking the subway downtown with friends or by myself at age 14, and it afforded me a freedom I never would have had if I lived in an area that was inaccessible to the train or bus. Back then it was a lot dirtier and scarier than now, but that was never a deterrent.
I never even really drove until I was 19 because I never needed to. After my first year of college though, my boyfriend now husband lived in NJ, and that was when I truly started driving.
Now living on Long Island, it is a pain to take the train into the city because you are stuck trying to find a spot in the LIRR parking lots and then timing the train right to get into the city and home. I miss the ease of the subway.

I used to live at the end of one of the subway lines near Boston. It was great for work, but also on the weekends. We bought a place and moved about 15 minutes north so now we're on the commuter rail instead and it's just so much less convenient. The train station it goes into is two subway lines or a mile walk away from my job and it runs less frequently and barely on the weekends. We live across the street, so parking isn't an issue, but I, too, miss the easy of the subway :(

Also, there's a ton of malls and stores in New Hampshire just over the border because NH has no sales tax. So lots of Mass plates there!

I used to live at the end of one of the subway lines near Boston. It was great for work, but also on the weekends. We bought a place and moved about 15 minutes north so now we're on the commuter rail instead and it's just so much less convenient. The train station it goes into is two subway lines or a mile walk away from my job and it runs less frequently and barely on the weekends. We live across the street, so parking isn't an issue, but I, too, miss the easy of the subway :(

Also, there's a ton of malls and stores in New Hampshire just over the border because NH has no sales tax. So lots of Mass plates there!
I'm too far from NJ now to make it worthwhile to drive there just to shop. Plus I hate malls and Jersey drivers, so there's that too.
It takes us an hour to get into Penn Station if we take the Long Island Railroad, and that brings us into midtown on the west side which is not usually where we are going, so then we still have to take the subway.
Sometimes though we will drive to our old neighborhood in Queens, park and take the subway from there. Makes me really regret moving out to the 'burbs sometimes!

29 miles each way, takes me right at 30 minutes. We go an average of 5 days a week. I drive a 2014 Honda Accord and I get about 30ish miles to the gallon. I usually spend about $50 a week on gas.

Do most people travel on the highway to get to their gyms? Just curious because my gym is 6 miles and 15 minutes but a lot of you have about the same #of miles and # of minutes, which would be going about 60 mph. :confused:

Do most people travel on the highway to get to their gyms? Just curious because my gym is 6 miles and 15 minutes but a lot of you have about the same #of miles and # of minutes, which would be going about 60 mph. :confused:
We do. And traffic definitely varies - as does which highway I take - depending on the start time of practice.

We live a mile from an interstate exit and the gym is roughly a mile from an interstate exit also. So our whole trip is 70-75 mph.

Definitely highway for all the gyms cp has been at and with now.

We take a dangerous part of the interstate going against traffic there, usually doing 80ish. On the way back, we take a smaller four lane "highway" and that takes us about 5 minutes longer depending on lights. I guess I don't want to tempt fate going both ways lol

Mines 97 miles each way and a 4 hour round trip. I fill up once a week and it costs me £45 and I usually get about 400miles out of that.

I only go once a week (full weekends) but I hate that most of my petrol goes on this! Nearly £200 a month so pretty much matches my training fees

Back in the day I would drive 3-4.5 hours to practice each way..2-3 times a week.. did it for 2 years... Gotta love SoCal traffic.

Most of our commute is on a toll road where the posted speed limit is 70 mph.

Glad I'm not the only crazy one!! One way trip is an hour and a half on good days, but can be over 2 hours. CP is at gym 3 times a week and we have a carpool so I just drive once a week. I choose not even think of the costs....it would be scary! I get about 14 mpg in my suv. Just our 2nd year doing this after CP's small gym closed. I don't know if I can imagine doing this another 6 years....yikes!

Glad I'm not the only crazy one!! One way trip is an hour and a half on good days, but can be over 2 hours. CP is at gym 3 times a week and we have a carpool so I just drive once a week. I choose not even think of the costs....it would be scary! I get about 14 mpg in my suv. Just our 2nd year doing this after CP's small gym closed. I don't know if I can imagine doing this another 6 years....yikes!

I wish I had a car pool!

Back