All-Star Gas And Traveling

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

And this is when I always swoop in and say "I have no idea what gas prices are here, because I ride the train!" Every time I think I want to buy a car, I read threads like this and I get right down off that ledge! Jeez... I do not miss those days!

But when cp20 was still cheering, it was about 50 (?) miles away, but in good old Chicago traffic, that was a little over 2 hours. Then about an hour and a half to get home. 6 days/week. (2 kids, 3 teams)

For those that weren't on here back then, I don't have a car, so we used Zip cars (car sharing program where you pay by the hour). It includes the car, insurance, and gas. We spent anywhere from $300 to $800 per month on it for cheer (which is still HUNDREDS of dollars less than owning a car in the city).

Now we just take the train to dance. It's $170/month for both Idp and me. She dances at 2 places, and both are about a 30-45 minute train ride (and within the city limits - Yay!), 5 days a week.
And this is where we all say....haha you live in the flipping windiest coldest city and we don't!

And this is where we all say....haha you live in the flipping windiest coldest city and we don't!

Uh... It's colder and windier where you live! You forget - I spent 20 years though, so I KNOW!

But yes, it sucks here. A lot. :( What I wouldn't give to move back to little old Fairport.

Uh... It's colder and windier where you live! You forget - I spent 20 years though, so I KNOW!

But yes, it sucks here. A lot. :( What I wouldn't give to move back to little old Fairport.
The wind here does not blow people and small cars down the road.

We're only 10-15 mins away, phew...

You people who have a really long drive, have you ever considered moving to be closer to the gym? Or has anyone moved for that reason?
When we moved to where we currently live, no one in our family had even heard of all star cheer:p
We moved because we needed a little more room and we knew we eventually would have to change schools as the school both older daughters attended and CP is currently attending only goes through 5th grade. We also wanted to be in a different school district in the event we could no longer send the girls to private school. We live on the Fort Worth side of the metroplex but my jobs have always been in or near downtown Dallas. I was already driving a lot for work so tacking a few more miles to be at CA was no big deal.

I have no desire to ride public transportation down here because it's only busses.

But trains and stuff in big cities intrigue me and I love meeting and seeing all different kinds of people I would really only want to travel that way up there lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Public transportation in DFW is way too complicated unless you live in/near Dallas and only need to commute around Dallas. We could ride the train from our side of town, catch the light rail near downtown, ride it to the stop near the gym, and then walk about a mile to the gym. The train station is about 20 minutes from my house. The train ride is probably another 30 minutes. Tack on a mile stroll to the gym and driving would probably be faster:confused:

The wind here does not blow people and small cars down the road.

Lol it doesn't here either. You know it's not called the windy city because of the wind... It's way windier in upstate NY. The wind here is the least of our worries.

@123jump4 I wouldn't move to be closer to cheer (or dance in our case), but if I was already moving, I would take the commute to dance into consideration when choosing a new spot to live (obviously that wouldn't be the only consideration, but it would be on the list).

Lol it doesn't here either. You know it's not called the windy city because of the wind... It's way windier in upstate NY. The wind here is the least of our worries.

@123jump4 I wouldn't move to be closer to cheer (or dance in our case), but if I was already moving, I would take the commute to dance into consideration when choosing a new spot to live (obviously that wouldn't be the only consideration, but it would be on the list).
If you say so and I'd rather send cp away than relocate for cheer. Not many climates the mrs likes.

for real. my car door almost flew off today. so windy here. i also learned last week that due to some scientific reason, exactly where i live is the cloudiest region in the entire country and it rains here more than seattle. (still questioning the second fact but i 100% believe this is the cloudiest place in the universe. the sun hasn't shined for one full day in the year i've been here.)

for real. my car door almost flew off today. so windy here. i also learned last week that due to some scientific reason, exactly where i live is the cloudiest region in the entire country and it rains here more than seattle. (still questioning the second fact but i 100% believe this is the cloudiest place in the universe. the sun hasn't shined for one full day in the year i've been here.)
I do believe we get more rain overall but Seattle is cloudier.

All I can say is that I'm not looking forward to the winter weather. Out gym is already located in a "suburban area" that has horrific traffic. My 15 mile drive each each way can turn very quickly into an hour+drive. My car has been hit by a police car, plus others. People can be so aggressive and inconsiderate. Gas prices are very high here and I don't even want to think of the amount of money I've spent in gas!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is why "filling up in NJ" is the number 1 rule to any NY'er when driving through your state. That and they pump the gas for you!
Lol very true!!

People think I'm nuts because I drive everywhere & I live in NYC. It is true that you don't really need a car here but I hate public transportation. I love my personal space & that is non existent on trains and buses here.

If I took public transportation to CPs gym, it would take me over 2 hours. I'd rather sit in traffic for an hour than take public transportation.

Lol very true!!

People think I'm nuts because I drive everywhere & I live in NYC. It is true that you don't really need a car here but I hate public transportation. I love my personal space & that is non existent on trains and buses here.

If I took public transportation to CPs gym, it would take me over 2 hours. I'd rather sit in traffic for an hour than take public transportation.

Ha! It's the opposite here - if I drove to dance, it would take well over an hour (and parking would be about $20), but the train takes a little over half an hour.

I've never been on nyc public transportation, but my friends say it's not nice. Chicago's isn't luxurious by any means, but I think it's pretty decent. And definitely not super crowded.

I absolutely despise driving here. I would choose the train over driving any day. But if I ever make it to nyc, I may eat those words!

Back