Getting Ready For Camp

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Apr 11, 2014
This is my first year coaching a high school cheer squad. I have coached a middle school squad for several years. With the middle school squad, we aways did a home camp. I am excited, and a little nervous, about taking this high school squad to camp this year. Last year was rough for them, so I want to start this year of right. I've read the camp material, but I want to know.....what do we REALLY need to know for camp BEFORE we arrive. I know we need a home pom routine, but other than that, what do they need to be able to do? Also, do we take our own music for our home pom?

This is a cheer team? What camp are you going to?
I know our dance team brings a home Pom routine to NDA camp but none of the teams at NCA camp have ever done a home routine of any kind.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

Yes, it's a UCA cheer camp. According to the information provided, we can be evaluated on a fight song dance and home routine on the first night of camp.

I know there are quite a few on the boards who go to/went to UCA camp. Unfortunately I've not been to NCA camp so I can't be too helpful! @BuegeSmalls might know, she just made UCA staff but idk if they've done any training or anything yet.

I know there are quite a few on the boards who go to/went to UCA camp. Unfortunately I've not been to NCA camp so I can't be too helpful! @BuegeSmalls might know, she just made UCA staff but idk if they've done any training or anything yet.

We haven't done any training yet but my school went to a UCA day camp thing my junior & senior years. We didn't have anything prepared the first year since it was the weekend right after tryouts and I don't recommend that. I'd make sure to have a few practice already done and have set stunt groups before you get there. Bring signs and poms to use for your cheer.

Sorry if that wasn't helpful. We only did the day camp and didn't have to have any type of routine prepared coming into it.

This is my first year coaching a high school cheer squad. I have coached a middle school squad for several years. With the middle school squad, we aways did a home camp. I am excited, and a little nervous, about taking this high school squad to camp this year. Last year was rough for them, so I want to start this year of right. I've read the camp material, but I want to know.....what do we REALLY need to know for camp BEFORE we arrive. I know we need a home pom routine, but other than that, what do they need to be able to do? Also, do we take our own music for our home pom?
Assuming that you are attending a regular UCA overnight camp, so my response is geared towards that!

Home Pom Dance - Optional competition the first night. Most teams participate, but it's not required. Some teams wear uniforms, but not all do. The name implies poms, but they are not required. There is no tumbling allowed (not even rolls, cartwheels etc for cute transitions.) Max time limit is 1:15, but you don't have a minimum time. They want it to be game ready. Yes you need your own music. The format is up to your camp. We could use either a cd or iPod and they loaded the music into their computer. Parents typically come watch these. Parents typically come for camp championships on the final day as well.

Fight Song Evaluation - This is just an evaluation. You will need your own music for this too. They do not judge, there is no placing, and around here I've only ever seen 1 team participate. All they do is critique your fight song.

Extreme Routine - You get 5 eight counts at the end of the dance to add your own incorp. I HIGHLY recommend going into camp already knowing your 5 8 counts of incorp. It's extremely beneficial if you have that incorp down solid too. I also highly recommend knowing the formation you're going to dance in and go ahead and tell them their ripples. If they learn the dance knowing they're ___ ripple, it makes it easier for everyone instead of learning the wrong part! I always take a video on my phone on day 1 next to a speaker. This way we have the music to practice to at night. Not high quality, but it works!

Cheer - You will be evaluated on a cheer taught at camp. Which cheer is up to you, but just like the dance I highly recommend having a plan! Have an idea of the structure you want to use, the stunts, poms, signs, formation, whose on the ground, etc. UCA loves levels! We usually try to have some girls remain on the ground the whole time, some in shoulder sits or thigh stands, some in preps and some extensions. They want easier crowd effective stunts in the cheer - stunts with body positions aren't recommended because they don't help you in leading a crowd. If you don't have signs there is thick white plastic board at hobby stores. Have them cut it into the size you like and then take a large sharpie to camp with you. You can make easy simple signs based on the cheer words. Your buddy can help you figure it out if you don't before camp, but you get more out of private coaching if you know ahead of time what you're doing.

Evaluations - Can be stressful! Just remind your girls they're like progress check-ins. Don't try to push new skills or something beyond your skill level. It will be much better for everyone if you're comfortable with whatever you are doing!

Buddy Gifts - Not required, but around here everyone gives their buddies gifts. It never fails that I forget every year and have to run out the last night for something! Last year we knew our buddy and geared it towards her. However in the past I've done gas cards, starbucks cards, etc. We also have the girls sign a card. Some teams also bring their buddy an outfit. The fun night outfit. This isn't too common but it does take place around here.

GameDay - It's the final camp day competition. They'll go over it at camp, but you can prepare before with formations and a plan. If you youtube videos it will give you a great idea on how it all works. I can give more info too if you want.

String - You need a roll of string/yarn for team building class. Used to need a hula hoop too, but I don't know if you do this year.

Stunt groups - You'll get a lot more out of camp if you go into it knowing your groups and having them work together prior to camp. There are teams that go that UCA puts groups together though.

Elective classes - If you want your team do something specific, tell them where to go during elective classes.

Dorms/Arrival - Can't be too specific bc every camp is different. Check in can be easy or take forever... be prepared! I always keep one key to every room and let the older girl in the room keep the other. Make sure they leave no blanks on their waivers. If they opt to purchase the camp insurance, make sure you have their money before leaving for camp! Most teams decorate their rooms or doors.

Banners - Lots (not all) camps have banners from all the schools hanging in the gym or space where the camp takes place. You can see what I mean in the background of this video ->

Coaches Meetings - Make sure you have a pen!! And don't be shy!

If y'all have signs at your school already, they're a good thing to have just in case. (Like signs to cheer with; i.e. Go, fight, win, bears... Whatevs) The 5 8-counts are so important! Bring an idea that the squad is capable of (and also UCA legal). Once you get there the UCA staff will work with you to make it better! I would also recommend videoing the girls during the cheers they learn, because I promise I've never remembered any cheers learned there except the one we competed with. I'm pretty sure you can get them from a UCA-bought video, but this is an easier, cheaper way. Also, one night they'll do a fun, dress up night, and it's so great if you actually participate. I'm sure a website will tell you later on what this year's is. It alleviates some of the stress camp brings. I've seen a luau night, and a "decades" night in the past. Snacks are a good idea because you eat supper early then have to go practice more. In the past, our coach would have us in parking lots or hallways practicing every night (people take camp very seriously) and we all put in $5 and ordered pizza! Oh, and for the girls and you: 5 hour energy and ibuprofen are your best friends!

If y'all have signs at your school already, they're a good thing to have just in case. (Like signs to cheer with; i.e. Go, fight, win, bears... Whatevs) The 5 8-counts are so important! Bring an idea that the squad is capable of (and also UCA legal). Once you get there the UCA staff will work with you to make it better! I would also recommend videoing the girls during the cheers they learn, because I promise I've never remembered any cheers learned there except the one we competed with. I'm pretty sure you can get them from a UCA-bought video, but this is an easier, cheaper way. Also, one night they'll do a fun, dress up night, and it's so great if you actually participate. I'm sure a website will tell you later on what this year's is. It alleviates some of the stress camp brings. I've seen a luau night, and a "decades" night in the past. Snacks are a good idea because you eat supper early then have to go practice more. In the past, our coach would have us in parking lots or hallways practicing every night (people take camp very seriously) and we all put in $5 and ordered pizza! Oh, and for the girls and you: 5 hour energy and ibuprofen are your best friends!
Last year we all received a free camp material DVD, not sure if they'll do that again or not but it was a good perk for coaches. I have never purchased one, but I'll take a free one any day!

Thank you all so much! We have 5 weeks til camp. I will definitely be working on these tips!

The best thing you can do is help them with their expectations. If you have a schedule of what the day will typically look like, I would walk them through that and tell them what you expect of them during those times. The spirit at a resident camp can be overwhelming, so they (and you) need to be prepared to cheer constantly or, at the very least, hear cheers constantly.

Additionally, you may be spending time outside practicing quite a bit, so they need to be prepared to work hard and have sunscreen, water bottles, and stuff like that with them all the time. And they will be tired and a little grumpy sometimes, so you'll want to keep attitudes up with encouragement and fun. Camp is a great time for team bonding too, so I'd come with some activities geared toward that for evening downtime.

Back