All-Star Grand Unified Theory Of Cheerology

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Usually the rule is: You burned your bridge.

The only thing I was wondering is if you were on a "scholarship" or had some kind of financial assistance, if gyms would prevent you from basically taking the free training to another program. I would think it would work like tuition assistance from an employer - where if you leave within a year of taking the assistance you're responsible for paying it back.

I agree with you at some point. IMO, when you commit, you should finish. Example: I coached at a gym where I was MISERABLE, but I left at the END of the season, despite me wanting to leave immediatley. Also, as a coach - There are often several BEHIND THE SCENE things happening that make situations more sticky. Often when kids leave a gym, there is more to the story. If I had a kid leaving because they were moving - Easy - I would release them. If I had a kid that left my gym midseason to go to my competitor down the street - No - I would not release them.

I just this week had a level 5 athlete leave our program to go to another program because the other program offered them a scholarship. Nothing we did was wrong, other then we charged them our normal tuition and comp fees that other kids pay. If I had the choice - NO, I would not release this kid to cheer elsewhere for the season.

I understand the "we pay so we can do whatever we want" arguement - but it sounds like you are an athlete or parent. If you need to leave you gym midseason because you arent happy - You should have decided that in the summer or before the first competition. We start our "new season" in May and competitions start in November. You have May, June, July, August, September, October - Thats SIX MONTHS to decide if you like where you are at. How is 6 months with the same coaches, same teammates, etc not enough time to know if you can commit for the season?!

I'm an athlete and a coach. If a girl on my team wanted to quit and go cheer down the street tomorrow, goodbye to her. You shouldn't be force to stick out a whole season somewhere you're not happy and I surely wouldn't want to cheer on a team with someone who if they had an option would jump ship. If you want leave, there's the door.

I'm an athlete and a coach. If a girl on my team wanted to quit and go cheer down the street tomorrow, goodbye to her. You shouldn't be force to stick out a whole season somewhere you're not happy and I surely wouldn't want to cheer on a team with someone who if they had an option would jump ship. If you want leave, there's the door.

You make a very valid point. Looks like we have different opinions. Its probably just personality traits. I just was raised that when you commit to something, you finish it out. Things Ive ever quit in life, I quit at a respectable time. Thats why I passionatley beleive in fisnihing out a season. Like I said above, I totally agree with your point, and its valid, but shouldnt you be able to figure out in 6 months if you like the program and want to commit?

You make a very valid point. Looks like we have different opinions. Its probably just personality traits. I just was raised that when you commit to something, you finish it out. Things Ive ever quit in life, I quit at a respectable time. Thats why I passionatley beleive in fisnihing out a season. Like I said above, I totally agree with your point, and its valid, but shouldnt you be able to figure out in 6 months if you like the program and want to commit?

I totally agree that in the 5+ months before competitions start you should be
able to decide if that's the gym or team you want to represent, however anything could happen in the course of the actual competition season, and I don't think its justified that you're then at the mercy of your coaches.

As a coach and an athlete I know the importance of having a positive team, especially during competition season. Good attitudes usually lead to a good season. I wouldn't jeopardize the rest of my teams vibe to keep people who don't want to be there. I think we should strive to keep our athletes happy and motivated, if you do this and they still want to leave then theres nothing you can really do about it. A gym where I live actually tried to make contracts to keep kids and after about 2 seasons they're worse off than ever. Maybe it's me but I don't think this issue is that major, somehow cheerleading has survived all these years without a rule like this.

I totally agree that in the 5+ months before competitions start you should be
able to decide if that's the gym or team you want to represent, however anything could happen in the course of the actual competition season, and I don't think its justified that you're then at the mercy of your coaches.

As a coach and an athlete I know the importance of having a positive team, especially during competition season. Good attitudes usually lead to a good season. I wouldn't jeopardize the rest of my teams vibe to keep people who don't want to be there. I think we should strive to keep our athletes happy and motivated, if you do this and they still want to leave then theres nothing you can really do about it. A gym where I live actually tried to make contracts to keep kids and after about 2 seasons they're worse off than ever. Maybe it's me but I don't think this issue is that major, somehow cheerleading has survived all these years without a rule like this.

I am not scared of the hard. I promise, I would get it right (well, 95% right... actual use would fix the rest).

Haha I'm sure you would get it right. But it still sort of reminds me of divisions like Senior 4.2, which I guess in essence it would be similar, just based on aged. Mini 2.. and eventually into Senior 3.2 (stunting level 3, with level 2 tumbling)?

Haha I'm sure you would get it right. But it still sort of reminds me of divisions like Senior 4.2, which I guess in essence it would be similar, just based on aged. Mini 2.. and eventually into Senior 3.2 (stunting level 3, with level 2 tumbling)?

No points for confusion

#5 would only affect kids who quit during competition season. If you join a gym and start competing with them, you've made a commitment to it. Every other sport has registration deadlines. You can't join a team midseason. This wouldn't affect athletes who quit during the summer or early fall. This would affect athletes who quit after a competition or two because they think the grass is greener somewhere else, and in the process screw over every other member of the team. I'm not saying that people shouldn't be able to switch programs - but not during comp season. If it's for a legitimate reason (moving, etc.) then a gym can release an athlete, but once you've made a commitment you should have to keep it.

I agree with this. Most other sports we have been part of have required a pre-determined amount of time where you can not be part of another program. Like in US Swimming you have to be un-attached (you can still compete but not representing a team or getting points for the team) for 120 days since the last time you competed for your previous team (even if due to a move).

I think in part what this does is make it so people think a bit more before just jumping ship for what they perceive to be "greener grass". If you are truly miserable after much thought and debate then just quit for the season. Go to the gym of your choice and tumble and do classes to stay in shape, but you do not get to compete with their teams for a given amount of time. I think this rule would also keep some gyms a bit more honest in terms of "recruiting".

There is also the idea that most of the teams at the gyms in my area are full already and I'm not sure how many kids who are crossovers are willing to give up a spot on a team for another kid who shows up midseason. They were there the whole first half, went to all of the practices and competitions..Why should they give up their spot for someone who couldn't wait a couple of months to join the team?

I agree with this. Most other sports we have been part of have required a pre-determined amount of time where you can not be part of another program. Like in US Swimming you have to be un-attached (you can still compete but not representing a team or getting points for the team) for 120 days since the last time you competed for your previous team (even if due to a move).

I think in part what this does is make it so people think a bit more before just jumping ship for what they perceive to be "greener grass". If you are truly miserable after much thought and debate then just quit for the season. Go to the gym of your choice and tumble and do classes to stay in shape, but you do not get to compete with their teams for a given amount of time. I think this rule would also keep some gyms a bit more honest in terms of "recruiting".

Say for example something happens where a coach and a athlete/parent totally disagree to the point where this athlete can't stand to cheer there anymore. It doesn't matter who is right or wrong, that same coach gets to decide if that athlete can cheer the rest of the season somewhere else. That's absolutely crazy to me. It would almost be like giving a coach an option of punishing an athlete that quits their team during the season. It sucks when a kid quits but move on. Would keeping that kid from competing really benefit you, or somehow make you feel better? If the grass isn't greener on the other side you have nothing to worry about. This rule just seems very petty to me. If someone quits and you decide to not release them you might as well kiss them goodbye because they will probably never step foot in your gym again. This rule might have some positive effects, but I can just see it totally being abused in our sport, and that's my problem with it.

Say for example something happens where a coach and a athlete/parent totally disagree to the point where this athlete can't stand to cheer there anymore. It doesn't matter who is right or wrong, that same coach gets to decide if that athlete can cheer the rest of the season somewhere else. That's absolutely crazy to me. It would almost be like giving a coach an option of punishing an athlete that quits their team during the season. It sucks when a kid quits but move on. Would keeping that kid from competing really benefit you, or somehow make you feel better? If the grass isn't greener on the other side you have nothing to worry about. This rule just seems very petty to me. If someone quits and you decide to not release them you might as well kiss them goodbye because they will probably never step foot in your gym again. This rule might have some positive effects, but I can just see it totally being abused in our sport, and that's my problem with it.

OK, let me put it another way. It makes an athlete and the parent choose their gym wisely. Just like how you cant delete something you have said on here. You are more careful about how you say it. You will be more careful about what gym you choose.

Everyone keeps focussing on that one special case of 'what if'. What they should be focussing on is the stability it brings the entire industry.

I wouldn't say this issue is so great it creates instability in our industry. I can see the positive but I'm not blind to the negative. I don't think this issue occurs so frequently that we need a rule for it. If you want to make it a rule go ahead, but leaving the decision up to the coaches just doesn't seem fair. Why should Susie in Texas be able to compete somewhere else but Becky in California can't because her coach doesn't like her and decided not to release her?

As compared to the boards it would be like writing a post and only having the option of editing if you ask an admin and they agree. Well not everyone is friendly with an admin. So either let everyone edit on their own or don't allow edits at all.

I don't like the rule but it doesn't really effect my gym either way. I just think it should be fair if it does pass.

I wouldn't say this issue is so great it creates instability in our industry. I can see the positive but I'm not blind to the negative. I don't think this issue occurs so frequently that we need a rule for it. If you want to make it a rule go ahead, but leaving the decision up to the coaches just doesn't seem fair. Why should Susie in Texas be able to compete somewhere else but Becky in California can't because her coach doesn't like her and decided not to release her?

As compared to the boards it would be like writing a post and only having the option of editing if you ask an admin and they agree. Well not everyone is friendly with an admin. So either let everyone edit on their own or don't allow edits at all.

I don't like the rule but it doesn't really effect my gym either way. I just think it should be fair if it does pass.

Nothing is all and entirely equitable, unfortunately. But this would affectively get rid of mid year recruiting. And this is something that has a precedent set by other sports.

How much mid yea recruiting really goes on? Couldn't be enough to effect every athlete that leaves a gym.

Back