All-Star Half Top Vs. Full Tops

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I love the full tops but I don't mind crop tops on senior teams, and as another poster said, you can get them in different lengths. I do think that crop tops are getting too short - too many are the size of sports bras and that is too short IMO. I am not a judge, but as a spectator I can't tell you how many times I have been turned off watching a routine with girls in crop tops that didn't belong in them. This just doesn't go for heavy girls - many young girls are super skinny and crop tops are not at all flattering on them either.

I have seen full tops rise up and show the belly on heavier girls during competition. To me, if the full top is not going to stay down, what is the point, the belly ends up being exposed anyways? There is also the option of wearing a body liner (it's like a flesh colored leotard) for those who do not like exposing their belly in the half tops.
Half-tops, full-tops, I don't really have an opinion on one being better than the other. I just like to see kids look healthy overall no matter what they wear. It's a performance, not something the girls are wearing to the mall. As a gym owner or gym coach, if you have girls who are overweight (according to medical standards), I hope that you are incorporating training into your program to help them get to a healthy weight.

i would shimmy this 3 times if i could.

I really like the look of 1/2 tops, but agree with younger ones being in full tops. I like the idea of 1/2 on the senior teams and fulls on everyone else.

IMO I think if one of your biggest reasons for keeping the full tops is because some girls would not look as good in them because of their weight, you should also recognize that the thin and clingy material of a full top only accentuates bumps and curves more. That's not to say that they should just throw out the full tops and go for half tops cus everyone knows what you're hiding under there anyway, but I'm just throwing that out there for consideration. For example, even the skinniest girls or girls who look in shape can wear a bikini and then when they get a one piece suit on, you see every little curve and nook and cranny of their stomachs. & if I were on the team and they announced that we're getting half tops, I'd be more motivated maybe to work on it so I can feel comfortable in it!

well how about doing half tops for the people who want them and for the girls who may not feel as though that would be comfortable for them do full tops...if Im not mistaken stingrays does this and it doesnt take away from the owerall look as long as their "clean" looking unis

I love that GA still has full tops. I think it looks very classy & more flattering to all. I think it's harder for a girl that's not comfortable in a half top to deal with it then a girl wanting a half top to have to go longer. Long live full tops!! :)

I love that GA still has full tops. I think it looks very classy & more flattering to all. I think it's harder for a girl that's not comfortable in a half top to deal with it then a girl wanting a half top to have to go longer. Long live full tops!! :)

"still"?

They just went to them last year, I believe.

I'm a judge. I've never once awarded or taken away points or allowed a teams uniform, hair, makeup or bows to affect my judging of their routine. As someone above said, shorts and a tshirt would be fine. People who give you the lines of "crop tops show your lines" or "half tops let my bases get a better grip" that's just lip service. I've based and flown in full and half tops, there was no difference. In my opinion, I prefer the full tops. The main reason, my heart breaks for the larger girls in them. I've seen girls wear the flesh colored bodyliner, and it doesn't do anything, it's not like spanx. If anything, the crop top actually breaks up the lines of the uniform.

the full tops are classier then the half tops... and being on the bigger side myself i would perform better in a full top cause im not worrying about someone looking and making fun of my stomach or if the camera guy is going to get a picture of me. my team does have full tops and i like it better that way, we were thinking about switching to half tops but even the skinny and normal weight girls were against them since they do not look good on most people and they wont feel conformable wearing them out on the mat. i would most likely turn down a gym if they had half tops and made me wear one..... i think it should be up to the girls and there parents if they want full or half tops. if the gym has half top uniforms they could offer both half and full top uniforms. also i do know someone that wasn't conformable in the half top so she ordered a males top so she would feel better about her appearance when she was competing.

Personally, I prefer half tops for senior teams. I feel full tops make them look more like a junior/youth and not an elite senior team.

I actually love the look of athletic full tops. Key word is athletic. Like the "twisters level 2" uniform on this page: http://fierceboard.com/threads/new-cheerleading-uniforms-2010-2011.8556/page-113#post-292834
It's cute, modern, and IMO looks better than the half top uniforms around it.It's actually one of my favorites this year because its so clean but still has shine! Then again there are some of the full tops that take a half top design and just extend it which looks so-so and obviously the half top looks better (because it was originally a half top design!). It's all about design, not crop or not. Regardless of which you choose, be an innovator not a follower. If crop is the right choice for the gym then go for it, but don't choose it just because everyone else is doing it.

You are right they were short before this uniform. Well either way glad we have them. :)

Not being critical of the choice, understand. I'm all about each gym choosing exactly what they want.

Back