All-Star Help A Uk (united Kingdom) Cheer On Top Gun Large Coed 2014-2015

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

There's a HUGE difference between actually going out and doing work to get money (selling things, car washes, etc) and just straight up asking people (including complete strangers) for money. Not even comparable in my opinion. I don't think anyone is attacking the OP, it's just getting this response because there was just a thread talking about how gofundme should not be used for people to fund their cheerleading season. I think it's great that he is trying to achieve his dream, he should just do it like everybody else and save up money and fundraise the proper way.

I'm sure his doing that alongside. If people are willing, i see no harm in asking for money. Agree to disagree.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

I'm sure his doing that alongside. If people are willing, i see no harm in asking for money. Agree to disagree.

That's fine, I just think it's really odd to post something like this on fierceboard (I know he didn't do it, but it got posted). I just think directly asking for money should be something reserved for family and friends and people he knows personally. Like mentioned previously, there is no guarantee of him making the team at this point, so I would be uncomfortable donating money to someone I have never met and that money may never even be used for what it was donated for. But if you've got money to donate, by all means, because I sure as heck don't.

I think it would be a totally different situation if the money was maybe going straight to the gym. If people could send money directly to Top Gun in an account set aside for him, I think a lot more people would be comfortable with giving. Maybe that's an idea?

But 10k is A LOT of money. You could (in some places) get a college degree for that. I'm sorry, but I just think the idea of handing someone $10,000 that goes STRAIGHT INTO THEIR POCKET for cheerleading is crazy.

Please don't see this as an attack on the poster. It's not. But this growing trend of people asking for handouts to cheer annoys me. This is totally and completely different than fundraising.

Hi everyone, I do understand that donating money to someone you dont know, especially to someone who its not life or death of going to america and cheering, is a bit weird and is something people wouldnt want to do. However you do not have to donate, if someone is that desperate to follow their dream they will do anything.

In my post I did connect the gofundme website. That was set up for people who know him across the UK who have suggested to him to set up this account so they could give him money. You will see under the link that I have asked for general help. If anyone knows of anyway they could actually help him. Not just through literally giving him money on gofundme. I am just trying to raise awareness, and there are english people on this board who do read it that could possibly help.

Mason is still in full time education (just finishing), So he could not have a full time job to pay for this. He has been working part time for over a year to raise the money to cheer. Obviously with the costs being so high, he needs the help. He is also trying to promote cheer camps/tumbles camps/ choreo in order to try and raise money. But being an 18 year old boy from Manchester, is proving hard to promote regardless if he is a talented athlete.

As a former coach of his I just want to help in anyway I can, and I thought fierceboard would raise more awareness. Maybe I was wrong, as it is attracting the wrong sort of attention. But I have to try and help in someway. I am fully aware that many athlete's at Top Gun/all over the U.S maybe in the same position trying to raise funds for training, but fiercboard doesnt not only have american members anymore. Many international too. Someone on here maybe able to help him fundraise or know someone who could, who knows. You dont get if you dont ask.

I think the real reason I have an issue with people donating money is that what if at the end of the summer they tell him oh sorry we don't think it's going to work out for the competitive season and he's been given all this $ to cheer, eat, live, etc for a year and then he doesn't go... That money is then wasted and put to something else that it was not meant to go towards.

I say he gets a job works for a year and then tries to go to the states to cheer on an international team.

I don't think gofundme is appropriate even for people wanting to go to worlds but at least *some* have a bid already and are for sure competing there. This isn't even a sure thing.

Go old school and fundraise like others do. Mow some lawns, have a garage sale, sell chocolates or candles, have a car wash, etc.

The only bad thing about a lot of those fundraising suggestions is that they won't work or won't be very profitable in England. People don't have big lawns there, maybe a small garden if they're lucky. People don't have a garage to hold a garage sale in. Lots of people don't have cars at all so a car wash wouldn't make enough money to be worth the time.

If I were him I'd be trying to line up as many tumbling privates as possible. House sitting or pet sitting if people are traveling for half term or he will still be there during part of summer holidays? Tutoring some of the younger kids in the gym? Or I've seen people offer general services and make a flyer saying for $10/hour you can hire me to do anything. Babysitting, cleaning, painting the house, go buy groceries for the elderly, etc. I truly wish him the best and I know you had good intentions by posting here. Good luck Mason!

The only bad thing about a lot of those fundraising suggestions is that they won't work or won't be very profitable in England. People don't have big lawns there, maybe a small garden if they're lucky. People don't have a garage to hold a garage sale in. Lots of people don't have cars at all so a car wash wouldn't make enough money to be worth the time.

If I were him I'd be trying to line up as many tumbling privates as possible. House sitting or pet sitting if people are traveling for half term or he will still be there during part of summer holidays? Tutoring some of the younger kids in the gym? Or I've seen people offer general services and make a flyer saying for $10/hour you can hire me to do anything. Babysitting, cleaning, painting the house, go buy groceries for the elderly, etc. I truly wish him the best and I know you had good intentions by posting here. Good luck Mason!

Erm.... We do have cars here...

Yes but car washes aren't as frequent or large scale over here as they are in America. Also, I know he's in Manc but in many inner/central London most people don't have cars. @ashscott41 makes a very valid point, I don't think she was implying we don't have cars at all in England!

Obviously I'm aware of that. I said that there wouldn't be enough cars needing washed to make it worth his time. Over here you can set up your team on a busy street corner and easily wash a thousand cars in a day. In the UK there is a smaller overall population, a smaller driving population, more efficient public transit, differences in climate (who is going to pay for a car wash when it's just going to rain the next day?). Car washes are a huge fundraiser over here and multiple people have suggested them, but it is not going to be nearly as profitable because of those differences between the US and UK.

Tumbling privates are not a known thing in england but I leap at the chance as i really need help with my tumbling as do other people so that would be a good idea

Oh and I thought the OP's post was asking for any fundraising ideas and for us to help with promotional work by getting his name out there for Mason - not for us to donate this months wages.

Back