OT Help Coaching Youth/junior

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
Jul 26, 2010
I know everyone learns differently, but I need some advice on how to teach my youths who compete in junior

-full twist cradles and baskets
-toe touch cradles
-ARM MOTIONS!!!! (They're all dancery and blughh!)

Thanks<3!

Maddie you need to do lots and lots of motion drills!! for baskets do basket drills as well!! make sure that the flyer is standing up quick enough and that he/she is jumping in the correct position toes together/bum up(not under herself) and that the chest and head is up!! practice full twist on the floor with the back so the flyer can get the feeling. do lots of high pop cradles first before you even start twisting. you need to ensure that the bases are popping the flyer and that the flyer rides the pop like a basket. for twisting the flyer needs to go up(ride it) then twist (head turned to look over left shoulder, chin up(no armpit smelling!!!!!!) left hand to right pocket, right to left pocket, stay tight and don't leave the bottom half behind!!)

Maddie your coach should know all this and i sincerely hope that he/she is doing this and you are just helping out!! and that the kids are ready to step the game up ready to learn. Please be SAFE and don't rush in teaching them things. Basics have to be solid before learning new skills, it takes time!!!

Good Luck!! xxx

Alyssa thanks:) ! Yeah Claire knows all of this I'm sure, but cause she's ill right now she's not coaching as much. It's not me who's actually teaching them, I just need some tips to give them for their problems etc. cause i think a gymnastics coach is helping right now:) Yeah, they have the basics down I think, we've not started stunting with them yet so fingers crossed Claire will be back! I'm not sure they have twists already, I think most of them might! Thanks for your worry though, im glad to see safety comes first! Xxx

Alyssa thanks:) ! Yeah Claire knows all of this I'm sure, but cause she's ill right now she's not coaching as much. It's not me who's actually teaching them, I just need some tips to give them for their problems etc. cause i think a gymnastics coach is helping right now:) Yeah, they have the basics down I think, we've not started stunting with them yet so fingers crossed Claire will be back! I'm not sure they have twists already, I think most of them might! Thanks for your worry though, im glad to see safety comes first! Xxx

one thing i tell my youth kids when they're sloppy is that putting your arm in the right place simply isn't enough. you have to have your whole arm and hand in the right positions. a tight fist, big cinnamon bun facing forward, correct location of the arm, straight arm, etc. hope this helps with motions!! for twisting cradles, have her do them onto a mat at the end of the tumble track. stand on the floor in a hi v facing front or t facing side and have her hit the t to the front and then twist. :) for toe touches, tramps are the best place. explain to her the position on the ground. make sure she's trying to drive her feet down and head to the back wall during the arch. :)

with my kids for motions i yell 1,2,3 HIT and the have to hit their motions as hard and as fast as they can, if its not good enough i make them do the same motion until its right. if they get in on the first try, move on to the next motion

what's a toe touch cradle?

A simple straight cradle (at L3) where when after riding the pop, the flyer pulls her legs into a toe touch, arches and snaps back into a cradle. Almost like a basket from a cradle pop. Not used often because they're generally not done well and cleanly, also judges tend to rate the twisting skill higher. However, it's a L3 skill :)

Just re-read and realised I was way harsh, their arm motions arent bad at all, im just hard to please:L Sorry ladies, you're still wonderful no matter what <3

tell my girls, i might sound mean now..but you will love me once they have that nationals jacket on their back. Go motion by motion, and do transitions over and over...dont move on unless everyone is CLEAN.

Back