All-Star Help Me Become A Better Coach.

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Also, set goals and rewards for the athletes, both individually and as a team. My coach said, "once I have every athlete throwing it on blue (the floor) by themselves, the next practice after that I will bring pizza, or popsicles, or whatever you guys want, to practice to reward you all."

if you want to do it individually, one of my other coaches told me that if i threw my bhs by myself she would bring me a big bag of starburst (my favorite candy) to the next practice to reward me.

the more you bond and get to know your athletes, the easier this will become.

you could say, "if we go full out and everything hits, at the end of practice we can play a game! or we will tumble for the rest of the hour' etc.

set goals for competitions or games, "I want everyone to be throwing a tuck by themselves into the pit or on trampoline by themselves by this competition on this day, it's exactly one month away, so don't worry you still have time." etc.

graduate them from places, so if they throw it into a pit by themselves, put a portable firm matt in the pit, and have them throw on that, then graduate to either trampoline or rod, then to the actual floor. does that make sense??? this helps build up an athletes confidence and courage in doing it by themselves on different surfaces, that way they feel if they dont land correctly, they won't get hurt as badly. a big thing with throwing on the actual floor is usually an athlete is worried about hurting themselves since the mats on that floor are so firm and hard. you know what I mean?

play add on!! this is a personal favorite of mine. the first time you guys run a routine go full tech (or full mark) (only have them do their dance, but everything else is full tech) and EVERYONE has to be tight, if someones sloppy, or doesnt full tech, then stop the music and start again. then if it goes well, the second time, do all jumps and first 2 stunt sequences, everything else full tech. then if that goes well, do jumps, all stunts (except pyramid), standing tumbling, a cheer (if you have one) full tech everything else. then if that goes well, it's stunts, cheer, jumps, pyramid, standing tumbling and running tumbling. then if that goes well, go full out. this helps pace the athletes and helps them warm up a lot.

for every stunt or tumbling pass that isn't thrown when it should have been, or for every stunt that falls, at the end of that routine (or the end of the practice, so be sure to keep track), have them run a lap for each thing. so if a stunt falls, and someone in dance wasn't tight, and someone didn't throw their running tumbling pass, then it would be 3 laps. etc. and plus, it will make them want to try harder, because running after going full out is never fun.

or do a "3 strikes and you're out" technique. you go full out 3 times, and you have 3 tries ((one try per time you do it, feel free to raise or lower the number) to hit everything and be tight. if by the third time not everything has hit or full out just wasn't as good as you know they can do, have them run 10 laps, and one hundred crunches (50 with bent legs, 50 with straight legs)

be sure to explain that whenever you condition them, or give them drills, or make them run. etc. it's not a punishment, it's a conditioning, it is meant to help them, and make them stronger.

shoulder taps are also a great conditioning exercise.

:)
ETA.

Our coach did this or would make whole team condition if someone busted or bailed. It led to a very dangerous situat
ion in my opinion. Girls would throw things because they didn't want to let their team down even though their set wasn't good. I saw way too many scary situations. IMO if someone bust then condition or do drills but to make them throw skills when they are exhausted is not good. It is totally different if the girls are goofing off or don't care then yes make them do it over and over. But safety should be the most important.
we don't make them do the skill three extra times if they bust, we make them do it if they bail...if we know there is a skill that they don't have we don't make them do it...but rather work on it with a spot. however we have a lot of kids who just tend to be lazy, now throwing things in the second row and whatnot, so if we KNOW they have a skill and they are just being lazy they are required to throw it three times. after the routine is over they know the drill, if they've bailed they always go back out on the floor to make it up.

On juniors my coaches are tough on us but they also are willing to joke around with us.
On seniors my coaches are also tough but they only really come down on us and they also say" Hit the routine perfect once and we won't run it full out again." That motivated all of us.

Back