All-Star How Important Is The Title 'nationals'?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Last year at NCA you could get a lifetime supply of tampons (and hairspray) if you went to the booths enough times!:confused:
Okay then I am bringing an extra suitcase to Dallas - I laugh because with a team full of moms and girls - we had a situation arise with a mom on the team and somehow no one had anything to "help her" - she had kids to get ready so her husband got sent on a tampon run - new job duty for a cheer dad that day :)

there are regulations on event naming?

The issue with having one true nationals is the one true nationals would replace Worlds, and then worlds would get smaller. Really just ban the word nationals from all events.

That makes sense. At the collegiate level NCA sent out an e-mail in 2008 with the subject header "CN Exclusivity Policy" informing college teams that they were not allowed to participate in any other event promoted as a "National Championship". Did any other EP at that time host/promote a college National? Why is the same concern not applied to Allstar?

Seriously the idea of multiple national champions is kinda ludicrous. It's like having multiple first places for the same division.
thats what I was getting at with my point about too many divisions and breakdowns of levels/sizes/restrictions. too much, too silly and waters down competition

Nationals titles are impressive so long as no one asks any questions.

As soon as you have to qualify it, or explain you didn't compete against anyone, then it's a joke to anyone outside the sport and embarrasing to anyone in it.

As all star cheer rises in popularity, I hear more and more "non cheer" folks discrediting us because we have 452,396,748 "nationals". I noticed this came up several times in the comments below the Twinkles story.

Seriously the idea of multiple national champions is kinda ludicrous. It's like having multiple first places for the same division.

Well, my team is the Grand National Supreme Ultimate Champions of the World! ;)

Thank you for hitting the nail on the head! Ludicrous in an understatement.

Has anyone asked an EP the purpose of having so many "Nationals?" I'm interested in how they defend their choice of calling local events "national championships."

I think if you ask coaches (the ones who want to legitimize the sport) they would say they would rather there not be so many events called nationals. Likewise, I'd put $$ on it that EPs would say their customers want a chance to win a nationals without leaving their state.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Has anyone asked an EP the purpose of having so many "Nationals?" I'm interested in how they defend their choice of calling local events "national championships."

I think if you ask coaches (the ones who want to legitimize the sport) they would say they would rather there not be so many events called nationals. Likewise, I'd put $$ on it that EPs would say their customers want a chance to win a nationals without leaving their state.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I feel one purpose is to offer a product to some on those smaller gyms that search for "Nationals" that very few programs use in hopes of being able to be champions. Been there done that with a program.

Not tha I need that yet but I have a house full of girls/women I'll take a month free!

I was thinking the same thing. I have 3 daughters.....add me in the mix and we are heavy in the estrogen around here. A month's worth of free tampons would be a very lucrative prize to me. LOL

edited to add they come in handy in warmup's if someone get's hit in the nose and it won't stop. I have used this method with kids on my team as well as my CP who didn't have the time to bleed all over her uniform and Cheersport warmups. People pointed and laughed but.....she kept it moving that day and didn't let it phase her.

Some gyms go to small "nationals" events because they want to brag about the title. I think others go because "nationals" is sort of a different style of event... the production level is usually higher, there's better prizes (bigger trophies, sweatshirts, jackets, etc), and two days of competition. It's flashier and meant to be more fun. It's a selling point for EPs.

What if competitions that offered Worlds Bids were the only events allowed to be called "nationals"? There could only be one per EP and that would also generally guarantee a minimum number of teams in attendance.

I remember a time about 20ish years ago, where there might have been 5-10 National Championships, and where I grew up in the little town of Marietta Ohio, when we won a handful of them, it was the Biggest thing ever, I still have tons of newspaper clippings about the event, we were the Town darlings for the 80's Very Impressive!!!!! It was important to all of the kids!!! Nowdays, there are 5000 different Nationals, and really everyone can say it, to me it doesn't have the same meaning anymore.... Worlds really is the only competition where you can say your the best if you make it onto one of those 3 podiums...............:fro:

I thought of this thread last night when I was hanging up clothes in my cp's closet and saw all the National Champion sweatshirts and jackets she has. It means way more to you when you are new to all-star cheer. It's also why I roll my eyes everytime Abby Lee talks about ALDC being national champions of this and national champions of that.

I remember a time about 20ish years ago, where there might have been 5-10 National Championships, and where I grew up in the little town of Marietta Ohio, when we won a handful of them, it was the Biggest thing ever, I still have tons of newspaper clippings about the event, we were the Town darlings for the 80's Very Impressive!!!!! It was important to all of the kids!!! Nowdays, there are 5000 different Nationals, and really everyone can say it, to me it doesn't have the same meaning anymore.... Worlds really is the only competition where you can say your the best if you make it onto one of those 3 podiums...............:fro:

Oh the good ole days :)

Back