All-Star I Dont Know If This Is A Good Thread To Make

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I had a similar issue with team placements last year. I made Varsity but was put on the lower competition team even though I had more advanced tumbling and stunting skills than other girls. I decided to send my coach an email instead of meeting in person, simply because our practices are so hectic that there wouldnt be a good opportunity to meet with him following practice. I went and pulled up my email and here is some of it:

Coach ___,

First, I would just like to say that I am super excited to be placed on the Varsity for this upcoming school year and I am already looking forward to getting to see everyone agian and get to work! However, I was a bit confused by my competition team placement, as I was placed on White (Lower team) instead of Maroon (Higher team). I was just wondering what skills might have held me back from being placed on Maroon so I know what areas I need to work on in order to better myself as an athlete and in turn better the program!

Etc Etc.

I think that the best thing that you can do here is not go in and directly compare yourself to another athlete. Susie may only have lower tumbling skills but may excel in stunting and have hyper extended jumps, etc.

Yeah, I was just wondering how I could've asked the question to them.
Just as I said. You say "Excuse Coach... is there a time that would be good for you,when I can sit down with you to figure out how I can improve as a cheerleader to be considered for a level 5 in the future. I respect your opinion and I would appreciate some of your time." Then you thank them and when they meet with you thank them again and truly LISTEN when you do meet. By listening I know it is hard but as they tell you things you don't take it in as yeah well I already can do that they just don't see it (a natural reaction) but okay -- even take notes if you need to and then you figure out your next step whether that be privates or perhaps it is other things that kept you back.
One of my girls made a team and one of her teammates did not. That mom sent me an email questioning it to me. I kept my mouth shut and stayed kind but a big difference between the two girls was attitude. My kid may not be the best by any shot but she works and will listen and is coachable and this grows as she gets older. Take a look at yourself and ask am I as coachable as I can be (listen, open,hard work and perseverance, respect, work with others). Sometimes those things can make the difference in a team placement when you are on that line between a level. Not saying it is the case with you but regardless it is always worth your while to continue to develop these skills they will make the difference through out your life.

As many people have said, the key is being polite and respectful. You want to know how to improve, not why you didn't make the team

What should I say if it's because this is my 1st year with them and they think I won't handle the pressure?

What should I say if it's because this is my 1st year with them and they think I won't handle the pressure?

Nothing. Thank them for the feedback and show them that you are able to handle it. Actions speak louder than words. If you're nagging them about moving up, that only proves their thoughts to be true.

If I remember correctly, you're fairly young? You have plenty of time to be on a level 5.

If that is what they told you. Then you shut up and prove to them that you are 100% in and show a strong work ethic and prove yourself as a leader on the team you are on. Sometimes you must prove yourself through actions and that strength can get you farther in the long run. The point must be not to argue and push yourself where you want to be but learn what you need to do to be better and seen as a level 5 athlete. Again as I said you must listen and ask for guidance on what they want to see from you not try to tell them they placed you wrong. Life lesson. Growing up. This could be the BEST thing that happened to you if you take it and LEARN from it.

I just cannot see a coach giving this as a justification. Sounds to me like you are still hoping you can convince them to move you. I think you need to let go of that and focus on what you need to do to improve for next year. If you don't, you won't be happy and you won't be showing them what you want them to see. Embrace the team you are on this year, and work towards next year.

I told my kid the same thing. She was disappointed that she didn't have all the skills she needed to move to a higher level this year and was a little bit down on herself about it. I also told her that she had worked hard this past year and made progress, even if it wasn't on the timeline she wanted. What matters is that she is working hard and putting 100% into getting better, not how fast the progress happens.

Coed stunting ability, experience, maturity, there are lots of reasons.
^^^^^ This. I was on a collegiate 6, and on a good day my cartwheel might be straight. However I'm alright basing and have a good technique for throwing baskets. It really all depends on how a coach wants to flesh out a team. Sometimes it's about the athletes potential, their ability to work as a team, how encouraging they are to others. A whole lot of things.

Back