High School Injuries And Cheer Camp

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Mar 22, 2013
Today I got arthroscopy on my right knee due to broken cartilage and repeated dislocation. I am going to cheer camp in about five to six weeks. I am going to pine forest at Trails End on August 13-16. Has anyone had experience with this type of operation? Will I be able to go to camp with full participation? Thank you!

I've never heard of the camp, but I can imagine it runs the same way as most camps; jumps, stunting, cheers/chants, maybe some tumbling, etc. You will very likely not be able to jump or tumble, and probably won't be able to stunt either. But that's ultimately the doctor's say, which none of us are. Just going off of a girl on my team who is also dealing with knee injuries atm.

I've never heard of the camp, but I can imagine it runs the same way as most camps; jumps, stunting, cheers/chants, maybe some tumbling, etc. You will very likely not be able to jump or tumble, and probably won't be able to stunt either. But that's ultimately the doctor's say, which none of us are. Just going off of a girl on my team who is also dealing with knee injuries atm.

Thanks for giving me some insight! I think that I'll be healed within three weeks from what my doctor said. So hopefully ill be able to participate!

You'll have to bring a note from your Dr stating what you can do. 5-6 weeks post op they will probably say you can learn the sidelines and cheers, but no jumps, stunts or tumbling. As for the dances, you'll probably end up standing in the back and learning them as best as you can without doing any lateral movements with your knee and no floor work either. It stinks that you won't get to do everything, but you're better off doing less and not re-injuring anything.

You'll have to bring a note from your Dr stating what you can do. 5-6 weeks post op they will probably say you can learn the sidelines and cheers, but no jumps, stunts or tumbling. As for the dances, you'll probably end up standing in the back and learning them as best as you can without doing any lateral movements with your knee and no floor work either. It stinks that you won't get to do everything, but you're better off doing less and not re-injuring anything.

Hopefully ill be able to stunt and do dances but I wasn't thinking jumps or tumbling at all. I walked out of the hospital yesterday without crutches so hopefully ill be able to go full participation.

Hopefully ill be able to stunt and do dances but I wasn't thinking jumps or tumbling at all. I walked out of the hospital yesterday without crutches so hopefully ill be able to go full participation.

Maybe, but listen to your Drs orders. If the Dr says not to do something, don't think you can get away with doing it once or twice-you'll end up blowing it out, having surgery and sitting out most or all of the year. It's not worth it. Be patient.

Maybe, but listen to your Drs orders. If the Dr says not to do something, don't think you can get away with doing it once or twice-you'll end up blowing it out, having surgery and sitting out most or all of the year. It's not worth it. Be patient.
Very true, I was going to say something along the lines of this. It's just camp, you're going to be much more needed during the school year than competing for a spirit stick.

I had this arthroscopy on my left knee on 9th february 2011 because of an meniscus damage. On 4th April I was able to tumble my RO Tuck (on springfloor). So maybe its possible but it depends much on your type of body and your physical therapy. Don't try it too early :)
Good luck

I had dislocated my shoulder last year right before my cheer camp too. I would take it easy because dislocation is a very serious injury.. Do very minimal because you don't want to end up like me (no cheer for at least a year).

most likely you will be able to do everything but jumps and tumbling it may take some convincing to get your doctor to ok stunting and that depends on what position you are but there is a good chance you wont be tumbling anytime soon

most likely you will be able to do everything but jumps and tumbling it may take some convincing to get your doctor to ok stunting and that depends on what position you are but there is a good chance you wont be tumbling anytime soon

I figured no tumbling for a while and as much as it sucks you gotta do what you gotta do

Back