All-Star Jam Brands Has Merged With Varsity

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

@gofriars610 I actually agree with your overall point so am not arguing with you but wanted to add that based on what I was told there's a lot of money given out there to kids to encourage them to come for sports that's not labeled a "sports scholarship" or at least let me say that's what one recruiter told me. We never got to the nitty/gritty of it because like I said my daughter wasn't interested in a smaller school but we were told that they didn't have sports scholarships but could adjust tuition and provide other money in other ways for her to come play. Again I've never had a child go to school because of sports so I am basing this on what they told me in the beginning talks.

Overall though I completely agree with your point. You play a sport because you love it. The scholarship potential is an added bonus and could be a factor in continuing in a sport that is costly financially.

Here's a good visual from NCAA showing how many high school athletes go on to play in college - I don't know what percentage of those are scholarship athletes, though.
Probability of competing beyond high school | NCAA.org - The Official Site of the NCAA
Except for Susie. She has 100% chance of a full boat college scholarship for cheer and is going Pro when she graduates :D
Seriously though, the number of parents who think like that (in all sports - not just cheer) is frightening. And I can't tell you how many parents I have seen post on social media about their CP getting "recruited" to cheer in college. College recruitment clinics are not the same thing as recruiting your CP lolol

One of the GREAT things about cheer is that it allows participation at many levels. Most other sports seem to have decreased opportunities the older kids get. In my son's sport (baseball), only the top athletes are able to keep playing through high school. Some kids are able to make teams on the club level, but they don't get much play time if they aren't highly skilled. They definitely, in my experience, couldn't pick up baseball at 16 and expect to be put on a team. I think that's such a great thing about cheer. And scholarships? Hahaha! My son is a senior and has many, many very talented and athletic friends. For the most part, those kids will pay for their own college. I'm fully expecting to pay for college next year for him...although he'll most likely play in school.

Point: cheerleading is certainly worthwhile for a child who enjoys it

Last edited:
@CharlotteASMom oh, I'm well aware (one D3 school near my hometown got busted for giving white Canadian hockey players a "diversity" scholarship), but even still--there are roughly 30 roster spots on a hockey team. There are 60 teams total. That's a maximum of 1,800 players total playing men's college hockey. That's not very many.

The only thing I can think of is the first Champions League when they had 28272727 extra awards and one of them was best practice wear haha
Unless I'm mistaken, that is the only competition where the teams wear their practice wear in front of the judges. So it would make sense at Champions League. Not that I agree with it, seems kinda silly IMO. But still... Champions League judges see them, others don't.

Unless I'm mistaken, that is the only competition where the teams wear their practice wear in front of the judges. So it would make sense at Champions League. Not that I agree with it, seems kinda silly IMO. But still... Champions League judges see them, others don't.
Oh I'm pretty sure it is too but that was the only instance I can think of when practice wear was actually judged and/or commented on by judges. I don't think they did it last year though.

Oh I'm pretty sure it is too but that was the only instance I can think of when practice wear was actually judged and/or commented on by judged. I don't think they did it last year though.

Might as well throw in a "Best Sleepwear" award while they're at it. Still waiting for that cheer team who has matching pj's. Designed by Varsity ofc

There are plenty of other elite sports that require a lot more time then cheerleading does, in fact, cheer has one of the lowest hour requirements compared to hockey, soccer, diving, or gymnastics.
When Phoebe was in TOPS training for gymnastics at 6 years old, she was doing 3 days a week for 3 hours each evening. During the summer that went up to 6 hours during the day, M-F. This was for up training or "pre elite". I can't imagine how many hours she would be at now if she had stayed in. Most AS cheerleaders are able to do school sports or school cheer without a problem.
The international level divers on our team (like the ones that just went to the Pan Am Junior Games in Cuba) dive 6 days a week after school and most come at least 2-3 mornings for dry land training. All of them are home schooled. My 12 year old is already getting face time with the diving coach for UT Austin by attending summer camps and workshops he does for younger divers, he's made it clear that he pays attention and tracks these kids...at 12.

The only way costs will go down is if parents pull their kids and that's not going to happen based on the stories of people taking out their retirement or working multiple jobs so they never have to tell their child no. You can't put it all on the EP's either. I always wondered why I was paying $250 for choreography for our gym to fly in a choreographer the same weekend some of the coaches were leaving to choreograph at another gym. If you have it in house, why are you outsourcing? And why are we paying $6,000+ for a routine that most likely will be changed 50 times before NCA?

Oh and PLEASE revisit the uniform guidelines, stomach mesh was invented by Satan and needs to be exorcised from the industry.

There are plenty of other elite sports that require a lot more time then cheerleading does, in fact, cheer has one of the lowest hour requirements compared to hockey, soccer, diving, or gymnastics.
When Phoebe was in TOPS training for gymnastics at 6 years old, she was doing 3 days a week for 3 hours each evening. During the summer that went up to 6 hours during the day, M-F. This was for up training or "pre elite". I can't imagine how many hours she would be at now if she had stayed in. Most AS cheerleaders are able to do school sports or school cheer without a problem.
The international level divers on our team (like the ones that just went to the Pan Am Junior Games in Cuba) dive 6 days a week after school and most come at least 2-3 mornings for dry land training. All of them are home schooled. My 12 year old is already getting face time with the diving coach for UT Austin by attending summer camps and workshops he does for younger divers, he's made it clear that he pays attention and tracks these kids...at 12.

The only way costs will go down is if parents pull their kids and that's not going to happen based on the stories of people taking out their retirement or working multiple jobs so they never have to tell their child no. You can't put it all on the EP's either. I always wondered why I was paying $250 for choreography for our gym to fly in a choreographer the same weekend some of the coaches were leaving to choreograph at another gym. If you have it in house, why are you outsourcing? And why are we paying $6,000+ for a routine that most likely will be changed 50 times before NCA?

Oh and PLEASE revisit the uniform guidelines, stomach mesh was invented by Satan and needs to be exorcised from the industry.
Hallelujur.

Your picture is perfection.

Back