All-Star Just A Thought..

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Nov 25, 2010
Everyone complains about how easy it is to get bids, so what if they gave out bids by percentages. Instead of just giving out however many bids they want, USASF could set a limit.
For instance, at a local comp, the EPs could give 25% of the worlds teams in the running for bids, an at large and 15% a full paid. Therefore, if you have 15 worlds teams, roughly 4 could get at large bids and 1 could get full paid.
Then at national competitions, maybe 40% and 20%? Im not sure on the percentages, but this could ensure you can't just go to get an at large because the EP is giving 5 away, and there is 6 teams competing.
Okay, that's all. Thoughts?

I just think they need to reduce the at larges. Right now, it's three at larges for every full paid you offer. I think a step in the right direction would be to lower that number to 2 at larges for every paid bid offered. See how that works and go from there.

I just think they need to reduce the at larges. Right now, it's three at larges for every full paid you offer. I think a step in the right direction would be to lower that number to 2 at larges for every paid bid offered. See how that works and go from there.

If that would happen they stand to lose some revenue. Fewer teams in attendance means less apparel sales and fewer people attending on an at large basis, which I am sure they are making some money on even if they aren't buying the t-shirt.

I think they should set a minimum score to get a bid! When teams compete in a division alone, in order to get 1st place they must beat a certain score. I think they should do the same for getting bids! If the EP doesn't give away all of ther at-large bids, maybe they should be passed on to another EP!

I definitely believe that some minimum score or skill level should be established. If not just to preserve the unique atmosphere of worlds but also to 'protect' the teams who are awarded bids but have no business being there. If you have an at large bid and multiple passes that end in layouts then I think it's pretty fair to say that you have roughly a 0% chance of moving on to Saturday. I know that many want to go just for the experience but the truth is, some teams are shouldering that expense to essentially be spectators. Are they really getting the same experience as a team who gets to Saturday?
Maybe a solution would be to change the bid structure to fully paid, half paid and 25% paid then possibly even a level of 'guest team' who are invited to experience the event as respected athletes who qualified for that status and can participate in the travel packages and events but who just don't perform on Friday. The guest invites could even represent a nominal amount like 10% paid and come directly from 'Worlds' itself thus not the EP. At $65/head awarded there is still a ton of money to be made on 'guest' athletes. The EPs aren't losing money on the 'guest' bids, just like at larges, so I don't think they'd care.
I guess it could cost EPs more in terms of the bids but instead of having 2 or 3 paid bids they could do 1 full paid, 2 50% paid and 4 25% paids. Then the guest bids in whatever proportion. In that scenario you end up with 7 qualifying teams going to compete and x number of spectator teams rather than 12 teams going to compete (3 paid and 9 at large).
Just a thought.

Back