OT Laptops

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic

BuegeSmalls

Uni designer and state IDer-Most positive shimmies
May 21, 2011
I'm going to be a freshman in college next year and my graduation gift from my parents is a laptop. I really want a Mac but my parents think they are too expensive because they have to buy three at the same time.:( What laptops do you like and would recommend? I'm planning on going into computer science and graphic design for my major/minor, not sure if that will help. This is basically what I am looking for in a computer:
-light
-thin
-side number pad
-price range: according to dad he wants to spend $500, but he will probably be okay with going up to $700 (I think)

Any suggestions?

First off, I wouldn't want a Mac if I were you, because a lot of the programs are going to be a lot harder to download and are going to be expensive because a lot aren't compatible with Macs. I've had a Dell for 4+ years and it still works great. Other than that, I don't have a lot of knowledge with laptops. I could be wrong, but I believe there was another thread about it so you can try searching it.

Macs are worth it, especially if you are doing graphic design. This is because Macs are so easy to use, and the keyboards are a lot easier to type with.

I'd like to note that typically when people ask me what to get with laptops really warn against buying the least expensive option especially since laptops are hard to upgrade and you get what you pay for.
I'm a huge fan of hp and toshiba laptops.

I got a white Sony vaio for graduation and I love it! It was $700-$800 but I know they have quite a few different models!

Before you decide make sure you check your major/minor's requirements on laptops. Depending on the program some schools require you to have a Mac or something else. I know my sister who was a Graphic Design major was required to have a Mac Pro. If your school doesn't say any specific type than the other least expensive options would be just fine :)

I'm going to be a freshman in college next year and my graduation gift from my parents is a laptop. I really want a Mac but my parents think they are too expensive because they have to buy three at the same time.:( What laptops do you like and would recommend? I'm planning on going into computer science and graphic design for my major/minor, not sure if that will help. This is basically what I am looking for in a computer:
-light
-thin
-side number pad
-price range: according to dad he wants to spend $500, but he will probably be okay with going up to $700 (I think)

Any suggestions?

Light/thin plus a side number pad is going to be hard to manage. The side number pad is generally only available on the 17" laptops.

I grew up with the first Macs, went to college with a Mac, used it for YEARS. Husband bought me a Dell - hated it - hate PCs -- too many bugs and problems, and not intuitive and having grown up on the very first Apples and Macs just my preference. Bought myself a Mac Laptop last year. Was worth every cent and I love it... I can do so much more with it and much faster. If you plan to do graphics would definitely go with a Mac. Maybe you could call for school and talk to someone in the department you are planning to study in and ask them what type of laptops most of the students have - PC versus Mac. Also if you live close enough go to a Apple Store with parents in tow and then go to like a Best Buy and compare them. you might find that you prefer the PC or if you really want the Mac maybe you can make some plans to help pay for it over the summer with some odd jobs? - My Mac is thin but personally not super light - lighter than my old PC laptop.

for College you might want to look into getting a netbook instead of a laptop. they are great for carrying around as they are so small and the battery should last the whole day of your lectors

for computer sciences you will need a computer with windows on it, no question about it. I studied computer sciences at college
for graphics it will be better if you have a mac although you can do everything you will need to do on windows.

personally, I have a Toshiba netbook. I've had it for three years now and Never had an issue with it.

as for model, new models come out almost weekly. so don't worry about that. Its best just to go into a store and tell the sales person you want (x)model with (x)features and he shall tell you which model shall be best for you

If you're doing graphic design using any of the Adobie creative suite products the only laptop that can handle it would be a pro. Yes it's expensive but you won't have to replace it every year when your hard drive crashes.

If you're not using creative suite then stick with a PC. Toshiba's have always been great laptops. Sony has some decent ones as well as HP.

for College you might want to look into getting a netbook instead of a laptop. they are great for carrying around as they are so small and the battery should last the whole day of your lectors

for computer sciences you will need a computer with windows on it, no question about it. I studied computer sciences at college
for graphics it will be better if you have a mac although you can do everything you will need to do on windows.

personally, I have a Toshiba netbook. I've had it for three years now and Never had an issue with it.

as for model, new models come out almost weekly. so don't worry about that. Its best just to go into a store and tell the sales person you want (x)model with (x)features and he shall tell you which model shall be best for you

That's not true about needing Windows for Computer Studies. I was a Computer Science major and plenty of my classmates had Macs or Linux machines.

I wouldn't recommend a netbook, they're really meant to be used when you can do everything you need to on the internet. If you're okay with writing all of your papers in google docs, go for it, but they're not really powerful enough to run a lot of Software you may need.

They might not seem "cool" but if you want a good, sturdy machine, look into the Thinkpads

That's not true about needing Windows for Computer Studies. I was a Computer Science major and plenty of my classmates had Macs or Linux machines.

might have just been my college, maybe something to check?
everyone in my course had a windows computer. the reason could have been because we all got giving the new windows for free and it had JUST came out at the time, we were all pretty excited. who dosn't love getting the new windows or any windows for free

I would really like a Mac but I'm a business student and windows seems more practical. BUT the laptop program at my school says that the MacBook pro is approved by the college of business and has a "dual boot solution". Worth it?

I would really like a Mac but I'm a business student and windows seems more practical. BUT the laptop program at my school says that the MacBook pro is approved by the college of business and has a "dual boot solution". Worth it?

You'll have to buy a copy of Windows on top of the Mac, which isn't cheap. Will they dual boot for you? If not, do you know how to do it? If you don't know how to do it and they won't do it for you, it might not be worth it.

Everyone needs to remember that anyone who tells you Macs can't get viruses is lying. They can and they have, and they will continue to get more as they become popular.

They are also just as susceptible to hard drive and hardware failures as other computers. They're not foolproof. That's not to say they're not good, I have one myself in addition to a Windows PC, but they're very expensive toys to want just because they're "cool."

Back