All-Star Larger Gyms At Local Comps

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

The gym in my college town has 2 teams...Junior 2, Senior coed 3. They have beat "larger" name teams multiple times this year. Just last weekend at cheersport grand the senior coed had 5 points in deductions and still bit the "larger" gym who had a flawless routine...it can be done, I've seen it.

My example for today is C4 Longhorns in Atlanta, GA... Opening in 2007 in Atlanta and slowly but surely moving up the ranks (they now have level 5 and are great in every division) and snatching titles. P.S. C4 is less than 30 minutes away from Stingrays...

My example for today is C4 Longhorns in Atlanta, GA... Opening in 2007 in Atlanta and slowly but surely moving up the ranks (they now have level 5 and are great in every division) and snatching titles. P.S. C4 is less than 30 minutes away from Stingrays...

wow, and the moment they stepped on stage for the first time years ago, every.jaw.dropped. SO CLEAN and neat. They are a great gym!!!

I love my gym! After reading this thread, we are really the best of both worlds. I'm the owner, I know everyone of our 105 allstars' names as well as what skills they are working on and I probably know about 95% of our tumblers as well. We can walk into a local competition and steal the show and win grand champs in all our divisions. We also get to test ourselves against the big dogs at cheersport. There is not another cheer gym within an hour of us, yet we are only an hour away from a city that hosts plenty of competitions. We only use crossovers for injuries, our teams have for the most part squad skills for their level. And all of our teams have kids who are now a level or sometimes even two levels above their teams level. But we are big enough, to not run into Suzy wanting to take her tuck and tick tock to a level 5 team an hour and half away. We have the occasional issue with someone thinking they should have been a higher level but they usually get it by the first few practices. We are taking our time moving up the levels, were not rushing to be a worlds gym and it's paying off.

That is great that you don't have alot of other gyms to compete with for athletes. We live in the suburbs of Dallas/Fort Worth and we have 5 small gyms within 20 minutes of each other not to mention the large ones, Cheer Athletics, Champion Cheer, Excite and SOT, etc that are all within a 45 minute drive!! It's difficult for the small gyms in our area to have level 5 teams because the athletes with those skills leave for the big gyms.

What some of you consider a smal gym is a little off...I cheered at a gym for 3 years, and we had 50 girls at the MOST, and 24 at the smallest. 3 teams at the most, 2 at the least. And we were pretty kick butt. Is it annoying to lose to gyms with 100+ athletes? yes, but its not a gym that wins, it's the athletes.

I think when it comes to levels 1-4 the insane amount of cross overs that a small gym will put on the floor levels the playing field.For example ,A large gyms level 2 team is a level 2 team. A small gyms level 2 team is made up of their level 2,3 ,&4s all crossing over to make a team.The same for levels 3&4.I see that as being an advantage to a smaller gym.

I don't think this is accurate. At least in my experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

we competed against your VA beach gym this past weekend ...and let me say it wasn't easy. we are a smaller gym, but it helps push us so we can get on your level. our s3 placed 2nd to yours and (much to our suprise ) our small senior restricted got 1st...it's our gyms first year having a level five and to even be against you guys was an honor... you guys keep doing what your doing ...you help give smaller gyms the drive to be better:)

I can see smallers gyms having a problem excepting the fact that a large gym is at a local when dealing with the level 5 teams.Most of the time a large gym will march out a ton of talent that makes it hard to compete. I think when it comes to levels 1-4 the insane amount of cross overs that a small gym will put on the floor levels the playing field.For example ,A large gyms level 2 team is a level 2 team. A small gyms level 2 team is made up of their level 2,3 ,&4s all crossing over to make a team.The same for levels 3&4.I see that as being an advantage to a smaller gym.As far as the level 5 teams go at most locals the large gym usually does not have any teams in their division and competes against nobody. They go for the floor time experience.

Actually, the more likely scenario is that crossovers "level the playing field" for the smaller gyms rather than be an advantage. You might have a couple of star kids from the senior 3 team cross down to junior 2, but that junior 2's also more likely to consist of inexperienced kids as well. You don't have the base to pick from, so rather than having a "true" level 2 team you'll have a much wider range of skills and abilities.

i mean i understand the her point it does seem unfair but she should be worried about getting her kids better so they can win next time

Back