All-Star Level5 Tumbling Rule Changes

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

lol the whole point of all star cheerleading is to set yourself apart from everyone else not to be the same and as far as the skills if you don't have some of these skill or are not working them at less you mostly shouldn't be on a level 5 or your not a true level athlete and to even max out on score you at lease need about 4 to 5 double in small senior standing and running and tumbling set teams apart and thats messing with some teams strengthen just like some are better at stunting and not tumbling

Yes it is messing with some teams strengths. I completely agree.

But to what degree do we say injuries are ok? What % of athletes getting hurt in cheerleading makes it ok? On a team of 20 people, if 4 athletes get hurt in any given season, most teams would see that as ok. Well the outside world doesn't. I bet no other sport has an injury rate of 20% of their athletes and think it is ok.

Yes it is messing with some teams strengths. I completely agree.

But to what degree do we say injuries are ok? What % of athletes getting hurt in cheerleading makes it ok? On a team of 20 people, if 4 athletes get hurt in any given season, most teams would see that as ok. Well the outside world doesn't. I bet no other sport has an injury rate of 20% of their athletes and think it is ok.

and that were the problem is in the coaching of skill not the skills its self have better certification test were you as a coach have to do the skill or have to teach the skills to kids not just set there and say it out loud because thats what the test is its all oral. . . which anyone can pass point one why some people get hurt and some people dont even know how to tech the skills they get everything from youtube been to those type of gyms

and that were the problem is in the coaching of skill not the skills its self have better certification test were you as a coach have to do the skill or have to teach the skills to kids not just set there and say it out loud because thats what the test is its all oral. . . which anyone can pass point one why some people get hurt and some people dont even know how to tech the skills they get everything from youtube been to those type of gyms
That's probably exactly what they are going to do. Do you think they can make this program and have all rules set in motion in a few months? Probably not. By eliminating the risky skills, they are able to work on the training program without more injuries happening on the risky elements.

but wait ... in gymnastics you can do double back tucks and all this other crazy tumbling how come they dont take that of gymnastics because from what i hear alot more gymnast get hurt then cheerleaders.. but thatas just what i heard i see the gymnastics rate going up next year by alot because like someone on this thread already said cheerleaders work so hard to get the skills they have to not be able to through them.. like Kelsey Rule is known for her double double and now she cant do it .. people are going to switch to gymnastics because they can throw their skills there.. they think there making the sport better but there only hurting it

okay , here's a question.. what about those kids who dont tumbling out of BHS ? my pass right now is PF through RO dub , so does that mean it's illegal now ? not everyone can tumble out of BHS.. i mean , I can personally but there are people out there who can not.

okay , here's a question.. what about those kids who dont tumbling out of BHS ? my pass right now is PF through RO dub , so does that mean it's illegal now ? not everyone can tumble out of BHS.. i mean , I can personally but there are people out there who can not.

I know what you are saying, but personally speaking I don't think that they "can" not but they "prefer" not. There may be reasons why such as limited flexibility, hitting at an improper angle which causes great stress on the wrists, started tumbling later and don't have the patience, they just don't get it, etc. For example I used to prefer tumbling out of a RO rather than a BHS. For me it was just run as hard as you can, hands on floor 1 time and that was it. When I finally started taking gymnastics I was forced to learn how to tumble out a BHS but I still preferred when tumbling on my own to tumble out of a RO. I could double back out of a RO but could only do a full out of a BHS. Never felt like I had enough power to do more. Every year I have a few athletes (usually teens) that prefer just doing a RO. They cringe every time we tell them to warm up BHS. Not that they can not do them, they just don't like them. That is why I said "prefer" instead of "can't."

But I do not think it fair to punish them either. This is again why the real issue is properly trained and certified coaches.

I dont understand if they are trying to band aid it then why arent they restricting tumbling on all the levels? all levels have injuries not just lvl 5. If you want an easy fix to correct the bigger problem in the future than make it to where all levels are being restricted..

I know what you are saying, but personally speaking I don't think that they "can" not but they "prefer" not. There may be reasons why such as limited flexibility, hitting at an improper angle which causes great stress on the wrists, started tumbling later and don't have the patience, they just don't get it, etc. For example I used to prefer tumbling out of a RO rather than a BHS. For me it was just run as hard as you can, hands on floor 1 time and that was it. When I finally started taking gymnastics I was forced to learn how to tumble out a BHS but I still preferred when tumbling on my own to tumble out of a RO. I could double back out of a RO but could only do a full out of a BHS. Never felt like I had enough power to do more. Every year I have a few athletes (usually teens) that prefer just doing a RO. They cringe every time we tell them to warm up BHS. Not that they can not do them, they just don't like them. That is why I said "prefer" instead of "can't."

But I do not think it fair to punish them either. This is again why the real issue is properly trained and certified coaches.
well , i actually do know of a girl that actually can not do it out of a BHS.. she is working on her full and she has to do RO full.. if she does BHS full , her BHS is extremely.. (im trying to say this nicely) but crappy. we have tried absolutely EVERYTHING to fix it, and nothing helps it at all. in fact sometimes i feel as if it has gotten worse. and i know ppl are always like "well you all haven't been taught proper technique to teach others blah blah blah.." but the thing is , I as well as a few others that work at our gym all come from gymnast backgrounds.. it's not that we aren't teaching the "proper technique" it's just she really cannot do them..

i think this is going to help towrds being a sport.

I wish I could agree, but part of becoming a sport is having a governing body that is organzied and can function properly. What happened yesterday made a joke of the USASF. They went over the heads of Les and Debbie Love, 2 of the people who should 100% be involved in anything pretaining to rules. They have shown corruption at its finest and that right there will not help cheer at all.
Changing tumbling requirements won't make cheer anymore a sport then it was before, uniforms maybe but not tumbling. That would be like telling the NFL no more tackling so that it looks more like a sport or the NBA can no longer run the court but instead walk because running can injure their legs.

well , i actually do know of a girl that actually can not do it out of a BHS.. she is working on her full and she has to do RO full.. if she does BHS full , her BHS is extremely.. (im trying to say this nicely) but crappy. we have tried absolutely EVERYTHING to fix it, and nothing helps it at all. in fact sometimes i feel as if it has gotten worse. and i know ppl are always like "well you all haven't been taught proper technique to teach others blah blah blah.." but the thing is , I as well as a few others that work at our gym all come from gymnast backgrounds.. it's not that we aren't teaching the "proper technique" it's just she really cannot do them..
I understand. That is why it is unfair to make blanket accusations without knowing the facts. When I see a tumbler with bad form the one thing I don't do is automatically blame the coach. I don't know the situation. Sometimes kids just doesn't listen. Sometimes they try to hard and over correct. Sometimes they made a mistake. And sometimes they just don't get it. But to always blame the coach is not the answer either. (Feel free to email me a video of it if you like to [email protected]. Will be happy to tell you what I think)

In cases like that I still make them work on it, even if I give them an out to do the RO tumbling. I just minimize the pressure on it. That helps a lot. We had an athlete this year who last year would not tumble out of a BHS at all but this year is. Former gymnast too. She just hates BHS. :)

These new rules signify what is going on in today's generation. The wussification of America. Award those for mediocrity. Give out participation trophies even if you're a loser. Now it like this. Since most athletes can't do certain skills, then dumb it down so everyone can do the same skills on the same level. If an athlete throw a difficult skill but with flaws, then heavily penalize them. High risk high reward for difficult moves. End of story. That's how it should be but in today's wold of holding hands and singing koombyeya under the oak tree, this is what you get

i mean im trying to be more open about the changes but in any other sport theres only so much you can do. i feel like its so individualized and thats just like any sport but we keep going further and further when are we going to stop. i mean a baseball player can pitch at 89 mph but if he knows that if he pitches at 80 he can strike anyone out he starts focusing more on technique and his fastball and 100 percent consistency, making sure he doesn't get any balls. thats just how i see it? . . .

The baseball analogy probably not the best example here. If a pitcher can throw 98 mph, he's not going to purposely slow down to 91-92 which is the average speed of a major leaguer. The best pitch is the plus-plus fastball and the reason why there are finesse pitchers is because they CAN'T hit 98 mph. Otherwise they would.

I think the biggest problems with the high injury rate are athletes throwing moves they're not capable of because their mom wants them on level 5 and coaching. I agree there needs to be some level of certification before these coaches can teach advanced moves and most importantly they should be executed only by well conditioned athletes who demonstrate on the practice floor they can execute the moves.

Back