All-Star Mature "look" For 12-13 Year Olds On Senior Worlds Teams?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I've said this before, in my experience, the younger the cheerleader, the more likely her mom wants bling, flash, hair, makeup, etc. not a comment on the OP, but a comment on cheer growing more if that stuff was less.
YES. I had a mini mom yell at me because she wanted her daughter to be curled and poofed and blinged. She told me her daughter was devastated. That it was horrible that they weren't being treated like the older girls. As the coach, I don't want 6 year olds looking like prostitots. Also, with 6AM meeting times, the parents were secretly thanking me for an easy hairstyle.

Sad that so many parents are part of the problem.

Well, my kid is 13 and a make-up nut. She typically has flashier hair and make-up than her teammates. Just full disclosure. ;) (within the guidelines set by her coaches. Typically the older kids will be toned down)

But, when she was on junior team going to the Summit, it was the younger girls' moms petitioning for big, teased ponies, glitter eyes, and false lashes.

YES. I had a mini mom yell at me because she wanted her daughter to be curled and poofed and blinged. She told me her daughter was devastated. That it was horrible that they weren't being treated like the older girls. As the coach, I don't want 6 year olds looking like prostitots. Also, with 6AM meeting times, the parents were secretly thanking me for an easy hairstyle.

EXACTLY. I've seen mini parents VERY upset about different looks than the senior teams.

Yes, but eyelashes and hair extensions are totally unnecessary. If that's for the sake of "uniformity" than everyone needs to dye their hair the same color and spray their skin the same tone. We often claim that these things (makeup, hair, glitter, uniforms) enhance the sport. Taking a step back though, Stingrays have won 7 gold medals without any of those things being over the top. Teams have crashed and burned with beautiful tans and lashes. Let the kids be kids and we may see an increase of customers in the industry.

I am not saying that any of this trumps talent. Sure they could win without it, but let's face it, many more will win with it (note I did not say because of it). It is necessary, imo, to adjust your look for the venue that you are competing in. A small high school gym does not need the same effects that competing under lighting that could be used at a concert. You need to be seen from a much further distance and makeup and eyelashes help the visibility of your facials. Sometimes adding highlights to your hair make makes your feature stand out more.

Again, imo, if you want to compete L5, especially with a high profile gym at the big comps. this is part of the what is expected by most teams.

I've said this before, in my experience, the younger the cheerleader, the more likely her mom wants bling, flash, hair, makeup, etc. not a comment on the OP, but a comment on cheer growing more if that stuff was less.

Sad that so many parents are part of the problem.

Yes, I have a young athlete, who will probably never see level 5, but wanting more glitz has nothing to do with my opinion. I come from a stage background and understand the performance aspects of the sport. Now, if the industry wanted to dial it back, that would be great.Reign in the entire team and create uniformity that way; but, then the grandiose of the competitions need to be taken back a notch too.

Yes, but eyelashes and hair extensions are totally unnecessary. If that's for the sake of "uniformity" than everyone needs to dye their hair the same color and spray their skin the same tone. We often claim that these things (makeup, hair, glitter, uniforms) enhance the sport. Taking a step back though, Stingrays have won 7 gold medals without any of those things being over the top. Teams have crashed and burned with beautiful tans and lashes. Let the kids be kids and we may see an increase of customers in the industry.
We have had a parent claim their old gym required spray tanning.

I am not saying that any of this trumps talent. Sure they could win without it, but let's face it, many more will win with it (note I did not say because of it). It is necessary, imo, to adjust your look for the venue that you are competing in. A small high school gym does not need the same effects that competing under lighting that could be used at a concert. You need to be seen from a much further distance and makeup and eyelashes help the visibility of your facials. Sometimes adding highlights to your hair make makes your feature stand out more.

Again, imo, if you want to compete L5, especially with a high profile gym at the big comps. this is part of the what is expected by most teams.
I hope not that highlights and fake lashes win over athleticism! We already know at times that some judging is personal over actual talent!

We have had a parent claim their old gym required spray tanning.

I remember that discussion. It seems ridiculous at first; but I can understand why.

Do you remember the picture in that thread that one of the posters shared of herself (or her cp) from a comp where she looked so pale in the lights (and even moreso in juxtaposition to some of the other teammates? ) Some judges might not be able to get beyond that and that was admitted by the poster too ;) Do you want all the attention to be focused on you (or your cp) for the wrong reasons?

Believe me, I hate getting up at 4 to get ready for an early call time, but I will do it since it is required for the team. I am grateful that sometimes the gym will lessen the requirements (no curls, only pony etc) for smaller comps or really early call times - but if they don't mandate it, cp will be dressed according to her coach's guidelines.

CPs' gym has multiple Worlds teams and they don't ask for more than anything but a specific make-up and hair style. There are athletes who do wear hair extensions and eyelashes, but it is not required. I don't think anyone wants a kid looking like they are 10 on a Worlds team, but I think you can achieve an older, uniform look without crazy make-up and extensions.

Things I understand:
Makeup- we do use stage lights which can wash people out. Specific colors/application are also understandable (don't want one girl with neon green eyeshadow and another with jet black).
Hairstyle requirements- Wanting everyone to look neat and uniform (Either all straight or all curled or something).

I don't understand:
Requiring specific makeup palettes- I get TONS and TONS of compliments on my skin. What's my foundation? Wet n Wild. $5. Which I applied with my $7 faux Beauty Blender. You don't need to specify a $50 palette when you can use a $5 one for the same look.
Hair Extensions- Whyyyyyyyyy? Yes, I'm so confused it required an overuse of 'y'.
Fake Lashes- Again, mascara? And who wants to risk one falling off in the middle of the routine?
Spray tans- Better pale than orange..

I remember that discussion. It seems ridiculous at first; but I can understand why.

Do you remember the picture in that thread that one of the posters shared of herself (or her cp) from a comp where she looked so pale in the lights (and even moreso in juxtaposition to some of the other teammates? ) Some judges might not be able to get beyond that and that was admitted by the poster too ;) Do you want all the attention to be focused on you (or your cp) for the wrong reasons?

Believe me, I hate getting up at 4 to get ready for an early call time, but I will do it since it is required for the team. I am grateful that sometimes the gym will lessen the requirements (no curls, only pony etc) for smaller comps or really early call times - but if they don't mandate it, cp will be dressed according to her coach's guidelines.
I vaguely recall that. I think it was also hinted at being required for choreography or tryouts but I can't recall.

I vaguely recall that. I think it was also hinted at being required for choreography or tryouts but I can't recall.

I think you are right. It was a discussion about choreo and tryouts.

__

fwiw, I am not saying that an entire team should like like a Robert Palmer video. I hope that the gyms are not saying that you need a 4 inch boob in a specific color- that is going too far. What I support is a gym saying that these are your guidelines, and you are expected to adhere to them. I personally cringe when I hear of gyms selling one make up kit with no way to customize for skin tone etc. In my opinion. the teams that look the best are usually the ones who are told we want a purple and silver palette with a smokey eye with pink lips (or whatever).

Back