All-Star Mature "look" For 12-13 Year Olds On Senior Worlds Teams?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I think you are right. It was a discussion about choreo and tryouts.

__

fwiw, I am not saying that an entire team should like like a Robert Palmer video. I hope that the gyms are not saying that you need a 4 inch boob in a specific color- that is going too far. What I support is a gym saying that these are your guidelines, and you are expected to adhere to them. I personally cringe when I hear of gyms selling one make up kit with no way to customize for skin tone etc. In my opinion. the teams that look the best are usually the ones who are told we want a purple and silver palette with a smokey eye with pink lips (or whatever).
4" boob.....That is definitely crossing the maturity line. ROFLMAO

Requiring specific makeup palettes- I get TONS and TONS of compliments on my skin. What's my foundation? Wet n Wild. $5. Which I applied with my $7 faux Beauty Blender. You don't need to specify a $50 palette when you can use a $5 one for the same look.
wait, some gyms make you use a specific FOUNDATION?!?! thats crazy!!! i understand lipstick so you all have the same shade and same with eyeshadow, but requiring you to buy anything but that seems ridiculous.

I remember that discussion. It seems ridiculous at first; but I can understand why.

Do you remember the picture in that thread that one of the posters shared of herself (or her cp) from a comp where she looked so pale in the lights (and even moreso in juxtaposition to some of the other teammates? ) Some judges might not be able to get beyond that and that was admitted by the poster too ;) Do you want all the attention to be focused on you (or your cp) for the wrong reasons?

Believe me, I hate getting up at 4 to get ready for an early call time, but I will do it since it is required for the team. I am grateful that sometimes the gym will lessen the requirements (no curls, only pony etc) for smaller comps or really early call times - but if they don't mandate it, cp will be dressed according to her coach's guidelines.
If someone can't get past a person's paleness... they shouldn't be judging. Period.

wait, some gyms make you use a specific FOUNDATION?!?! thats crazy!!! i understand lipstick so you all have the same shade and same with eyeshadow, but requiring you to buy anything but that seems ridiculous.
I was specifying eyeshadow lol. Someone posted about making people shell out for a specific expensive makeup palette. I was like.....no. Most drugstore stuff is awesome and some of it is even BRIGHT.

agreed- but judges do have biases.

My cp is so pale that light refracts off of her. Sometimes I loose her features in normal light. Maybe that is why I am pro-makeup. ;)
I'm all for a required makeup look (just not requiring specific palettes). Forcing a kid to spray tan, however, is a different thing.

My 12-yo just made a worlds team in grade 7. Her sister did not make one till 9th grade. Huge difference in how they look. My 12-yo still has a round baby face, but I won't change her hair (color or extensions) to make her look older. If I tried to put fake eyelashes on her-she would freak the heck out. Will she get a spray tan-probably. She will wear the same make-up as everyone else. (Although the Worlds team, does a more smokey eye). Does it make a difference in judging?-I don't know-I hope not. I would be wary of a gym that asked me to drastically change how my child looks. But I will say, my oldest CP cheers in college-and they don't want unnatural, overly processed hair colors or crazy extensions. They want the girls to have a more natural look, no very heavy make-up (but they still wear red lipstick to stand out).

I am not saying that any of this trumps talent. Sure they could win without it, but let's face it, many more will win with it (note I did not say because of it). It is necessary, imo, to adjust your look for the venue that you are competing in. A small high school gym does not need the same effects that competing under lighting that could be used at a concert. You need to be seen from a much further distance and makeup and eyelashes help the visibility of your facials. Sometimes adding highlights to your hair make makes your feature stand out more.

Again, imo, if you want to compete L5, especially with a high profile gym at the big comps. this is part of the what is expected by most teams.
If our gym ever required hair extensions, hair coloring, or fake eyelashes we'd be out of there. Makeup, uniform, hair style? I'm on board. Extensions and highlights? You've overstepped. She can take off the makeup right after competing. You can't undo extensions and highlights immediately. Plus, if your hair is up who the heck is going to see the highlights?

At nationals this year we had 4 teams 1 youth (quit a few were mini age), 1 junior and 2 senior. They all had different requirement really based on age and no one really had any disagreements.

Youth had a tiny poof with a side pony tale and a really cute blue bow which has a small silver bow in it, No tan and mimimal makeup they looked so cute and age appropriate

The Junior had poof with a curly pony tail not really teased and some makeup as long as they had a red lip and makeup wasnt too heavy it was fine. And if they wanted to tan it was only up to an 8 and they look natural with a glow

Seniors had the same hair as juniors with slightly darker eyes and red lips. Most wore eyelashes I only did to cover my attempt to do a smokey eye. We could tan and most did quite dark and it was fine

None of the teams got told to buy certain make up we could use whatever we had because it was mainly more smokey most people used what they had a home and for red lips as long as it was red the coaches didnt mind what we used.

The point is we all look fine and no one had to drastically alter their appearance and the youngest on seniors was 13 and the oldest 26 it doesnt matter

My CP10 had to wear false eyelashes last year, and she hated them. She was on a R5 team and they were mandatory, even the brand and style was dictated. They are not required for her this year (we changed gyms) and she is ecstatic!

She is also pasty white? so she gets a spray tan, and it was also required. She likely still tan this year, even though it is not mandatory.

Yes, but eyelashes and hair extensions are totally unnecessary. If that's for the sake of "uniformity" than everyone needs to dye their hair the same color and spray their skin the same tone. We often claim that these things (makeup, hair, glitter, uniforms) enhance the sport. Taking a step back though, Stingrays have won 7 gold medals without any of those things being over the top. Teams have crashed and burned with beautiful tans and lashes. Let the kids be kids and we may see an increase of customers in the industry.
Or 9, but who's counting? ;)

But yes, this!

Back