High School New Nfhs Rules About Twisting On Non-mat Surfaces..

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Apr 11, 2010
according to the new NFHS rules,

"Airborne twisting tumbling skills are permitted only on grass (real or artificial) or mat, with the exception of roundofs and aerial cartwheels."

"A twist to cradle is permitted only on grass (real or artificial) or a mat."

so I'm sure a lot of you have seen the West Virginia high school cheerleading videos, we compete on a basketball floor. which means none of those teams will be able to do fulls in their tumbling, or twist cradle out of a build in any of their competition routines.

do you feel that this will affect WV high school cheerleading in a negative way, like making it less entertaining?

I think this is a great rule.. West Virginia needs to roll out the mats!! My CP cheered for Weir High and when we moved there she was scared to death to tumble. We would go to Basics and she would throw her fulls and then at school just tucks or layouts. It is so hard on your knees and ankles... I held my breath everytime our girls would be on the court!! The schools need to invest a little money on the mats for the safety of all those athletes!! :)

its actually surprisingly not that bad.. i'm used to it by now. but that's just because that's how i was taught to be a brooke cheerleader i guess. i think they do need to get the schools and competitions mats, or at least make it not a sport in the state so we can go to nationals and stuff :)

Brooke and Weir are like 10 minutes away from eachother, I went to basics for 5 years or so. small world :)

HUH? Why is the governing body of cheer in WV still allowing competitions to be held on gym floors? How archaic! Instead of worrying about if it will make cheer less entertaining, maybe the powers that be should be worried about the damage they are causing to these girls' bodies. Yikes. Has anyone tried to do anything about that?

Virginia's state high school requirements indicate that competitions to be sanctioned must be performed on a foam and carpet floor exercise mat. No wresting mats and must have appropriate padding underneath.

Any competition not in compliance is not covered by insurance. I would be having a fit as a parent.

HUH? Why is the governing body of cheer in WV still allowing competitions to be held on gym floors? How archaic! Instead of worrying about if it will make cheer less entertaining, maybe the powers that be should be worried about the damage they are causing to these girls' bodies. Yikes. Has anyone tried to do anything about that?

maybe it's just cause that's how I was brought up to cheer on basketball floor, but its not that bad for me honestly. of course it hurts your hands and wrists more because there's no spring.. but I'm used to it and I like tumbling on the wood just as much as the spring. at Brooke, you train since your 6 to get a full and be a Brooke cheerleaders. I've been watching them since I was born. it just stinks that once some people get a chance to be on this team after they've busted their butt getting a full, they can't even do them. I understand it's a safety concern but for the girls that do it, it's pretty much just like any other thing.

it just stinks that once some people get a chance to be on this team after they've busted their butt getting a full, they can't even do them. I understand it's a safety concern but for the girls that do it, it's pretty much just like any other thing.
They can still do them. They just have to perform them safely, on a mat.

Latest posts

Back