OT New Random Thread 4

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
Content and Reading Levels are two different things. I don't have a problem with some of our kids reading a book like Thirteen Reasons Why because it's written on a level they can understand (like a 3.9......so end of third grade) but the content is my concern. A lot of my students have hard lives and deal with real issues so they gravitate toward sadder YA books.

Meanwhile my 6th grade niece reads on a 12.9+ reading level, but I personally would never give her 13 Reasons Why to read (as a suggestion, she could go pick it out herself and that's fine) simply because she's very naive, innocent, sheltered etc and her life hasn't really taken her that way (superficially, because I find most YA books to encompass surface, superficial sadness tbh).....but on the other hand my niece is very much interested in social justice so I am giving her The Hate You Give and How It Went Down to read. Heavy books but in a different way.

It's interesting because most YA books are just heavy issue content books written at really low reading levels to draw teen readers in. I have to keep explaining that to my ELA teachers because they're so adamant that a kid needs to read at a level they test at

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's true about content/comprehension, hadn't really thought about it as two different things. I'm trying to think of those YA authors with decent writing and story content.

Intellectually I needed something with a good story and writing when I was in the target demo. I liked this book because it wasnt a love story and it had a mystery esq plot. I'm sheltered too but I think the content was so real for me at the time that I could handle it.

That's true about content/comprehension, hadn't really thought about it as two different things. I'm trying to think of those YA authors with decent writing and story content.

Intellectually I needed something with a good story and writing when I was in the target demo. I liked this book because it wasnt a love story and it had a mystery esq plot. I'm sheltered too but I think the content was so real for me at the time that I could handle it.

Most modern YA authors are writing below a 6th grade level. It makes sense. John Green novels are around 5th grade, Harry Potter averages around late 5th; early 6th....Nicola Yoon is around 4th grade. I could go on and on. The Newspaper industry writes at a surprisingly low reading level...because that's what the average reader can or is willing to read.

It's why so many of us pick up a book and read it in a day. I probably haven't read a book at my true reading level since college....maybe high school.

People are reading for content, the story....but so much of what I see in public school is "I have to be reading at my grade level!" Sure I could give my 6th grade niece Pride and Prejudice (12 grade BL), yes I'm sure she would be able to read it and test well..... but it's not going to interest her. The fact of the matter is a good story can be told at an elementary reading level

Anyway. A lot of my readers advisory for MS kids with YA books is "yeah you CAN read it.
A 3rd grader could....but SHOULD you read it"

My husband's grandfather isn't doing well, so we made the three-hour car ride with our toddler in tow to say our goodbyes. While we were spending three days in a nursing home, said toddler decided to cut her first molar. I've slept maybe 10-12 hours in the last three days. it's excruciating, and I feel bad that we left because of how miserable she is/was, and I'm really just venting about how tired I am. Also, I am going to have some jacked biceps by the time this tooth comes through because she literally will only let me hold her. and in the same position. heaven forbid I change which side/position I hold her in.

but, orajel is our new BFF.

and, go heels.

Most modern YA authors are writing below a 6th grade level. It makes sense. John Green novels are around 5th grade, Harry Potter averages around late 5th; early 6th....Nicola Yoon is around 4th grade. I could go on and on. The Newspaper industry writes at a surprisingly low reading level...because that's what the average reader can or is willing to read.

It's why so many of us pick up a book and read it in a day. I probably haven't read a book at my true reading level since college....maybe high school.

People are reading for content, the story....but so much of what I see in public school is "I have to be reading at my grade level!" Sure I could give my 6th grade niece Pride and Prejudice (12 grade BL), yes I'm sure she would be able to read it and test well..... but it's not going to interest her. The fact of the matter is a good story can be told at an elementary reading level

Anyway. A lot of my readers advisory for MS kids with YA books is "yeah you CAN read it.
A 3rd grader could....but SHOULD you read it"

I was always instructed to keep things around 7th-8th grade level.

i hardly ever read anything outside of scifi novels, but even at the age of 29 i hardly read books made for my age range, i will still pick up a young adult/teen novel over an adult one. James Patterson books are about the only "adult" books ive ever read.

the maze runner, probably the last teen book i read was an AMAZING book, read it in about two days, but it has a reading level of like 6th-12th grade.

Yep the motto at my school is to write like you're talking to your mother. I'm on the broadcast side so that's really stressed in script writing for obvious reasons. Same in my editorial writing class, we are told to make it simple but informative.

I tend to read a weird eclectic mix of books. Memoirs, lots of non-fiction, lots of classic fiction, and the occasional YA novel.

There's something really comforting about picking up an easy book and being able to just smash through it in a day. I like challenging myself with classics, philosophy and history, but sometimes I like to pick up something like the Hunger Games and just go for it...

Which makes sense since the average reading level in America is 7th or 8th grade. Which is low considering

At the public library when we tutored non native English speakers in reading we would always use newspapers...because of the level.

i hardly ever read anything outside of scifi novels, but even at the age of 29 i hardly read books made for my age range, i will still pick up a young adult/teen novel over an adult one. James Patterson books are about the only "adult" books ive ever read.

the maze runner, probably the last teen book i read was an AMAZING book, read it in about two days, but it has a reading level of like 6th-12th grade.

Same. I almost only read YA books (or Chic-Lit). If I'm not reading that I'm reading nonfiction social justice-esque books. I don't know if it's my profession (it is my profession, I do know it actually) but I'm a huge proponent of reading what you want. In my experience people always want to "impress" me with what they've read (like I care...I only care that you read, not what you read ) when they find out I'm a librarian and I'm always like "meh....I finished (insert YA fiction " ‍♀️

Off the top of my head (it's book check out week, kid asked for it ) but Maze Runner is 5.3 (3rd month of 5th grade)

Today at the end of the day a SPED kid checked out Bridge to Terabitha along with the audio book and the teacher sent him back because it "wasn't on his level ". I asked him his level and he said 4th grade and he looked at me sadly and he said "that's really low isn't it". I d@mn near cried. Anyway. It is on a 4th grade level and first thing tomorrow I'm taking that book to the teacher and explaining this crap to her

I honestly hate reading levels and how it drives and also limits children (mainly by teachers )

Opinion question. I'm going to a bridal luncheon on Friday and the same girl's wedding on Saturday. When she told me to look out for the bridal luncheon invite she said don't worry about a gift, and the invite doesn't mention any registries or anything of the like. I'll be donating to her HoneyFund for the wedding the next day (which is what they are asking folks to do). Do I need to bring a gift to the luncheon anyway? All signs point to no but I'd feel like a jerk if I was the only one who showed up empty handed.

Opinion question. I'm going to a bridal luncheon on Friday and the same girl's wedding on Saturday. When she told me to look out for the bridal luncheon invite she said don't worry about a gift, and the invite doesn't mention any registries or anything of the like. I'll be donating to her HoneyFund for the wedding the next day (which is what they are asking folks to do). Do I need to bring a gift to the luncheon anyway? All signs point to no but I'd feel like a jerk if I was the only one who showed up empty handed.

No gift.

Which makes sense since the average reading level in America is 7th or 8th grade. Which is low considering

At the public library when we tutored non native English speakers in reading we would always use newspapers...because of the level.

that's how I practice French, actually.

Back