OT New Random Thread Pt. 3

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
I tried to explain how awful it was to my parents and I actually couldn't get the point across. Probably the hardest test I've ever taken. I thought Calc BC was bad last year but that looks like nothing now!
My teachers method of teaching was do a bunch of labs about motion and then in the last two weeks of the year give us a MC packet of 30+ questions about every unit we were SUPPOSED to have covered. She told me "yeah they try to shove too much into one year so I just decided there's some stuff you need to know really well and the rest you can take a good guess at" ... Oh cool
That was me last year with psych, but at least that test was a piece of cake overall.
The school I'm going to next year doesn't accept the test for credit unless you get a 5, so that's out the window for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Found out that there are 10 valedictorians in my graduating class of 108. They take anyone with a 4.0 all the way through. There is a 14 point difference in the highest and the lowest ACT scores among them. That's a lot more than it seems like.
I get some people aren't standardized testers but that's ridiculous.
Edited bc I got the class size wrong.

My high school graduating class of 450 (roughly) had around 40 valedictorians. It was based on GPA alone and none of the honors/advanced/AP classes were weighted so they were worth more on the 4.0 scale. I always thought it was odd that we had so many.

My high school graduating class of 450 (roughly) had around 40 valedictorians. It was based on GPA alone and none of the honors/advanced/AP classes were weighted so they were worth more on the 4.0 scale. I always thought it was odd that we had so many.

Good lord! Did they all have to give speeches?

Good lord! Did they all have to give speeches?

Oh lord no. We only had three people give speeches. I think one was one of the valedictorians, another was our class president (also might have been a valedictorian but I don't remember), and the other was something else important. That would have been miserable [emoji23]

Oh lord no. We only had three people give speeches. I think one was one of the valedictorians, another was our class president (also might have been a valedictorian but I don't remember), and the other was something else important. That would have been miserable [emoji23]

Thank god. I can't even imagine how long your graduation must have been even without speeches. All of ours do. I know there are only 10 but if you average everyone's at 2 min that's 20 minutes that no one but our parents will be listening for anyways.
I'm trying really hard to be positive because I know everyone has worked really hard but what does it say about your high school's education system when some of your valedictorians didn't have the test scores to get into college?

Thank god. I can't even imagine how long your graduation must have been even without speeches. All of ours do. I know there are only 10 but if you average everyone's at 2 min that's 20 minutes that no one but our parents will be listening for anyways.
I'm trying really hard to be positive because I know everyone has worked really hard but what does it say about your high school's education system when some of your valedictorians didn't have the test scores to get into college?

Oh wow...the ACT scores were that low?! I know we had a couple kids get 36's. One of them got a 35...without a calculator [emoji23] I would be questioning the education system if I was in your place too. That really does not seem right to me.

And our graduation was 3 hours I think? Maybe a little longer?

Oh wow...the ACT scores were that low?! I know we had a couple kids get 36's. One of them got a 35...without a calculator [emoji23] I would be questioning the education system if I was in your place too. That really does not seem right to me.

And our graduation was 3 hours I think? Maybe a little longer?

I would kill myself in a 3 hour graduation [emoji23] And the 36's are crazy, I would be signing autographs. But no, to be fair that girl finally got her 18 in December, so technically everyone can get into college now. Although out of our 10, only 3 have scores over a 25 (and those are a 32, 29, and 27). But all 4.0s so that's all that really matters right? *rolls eyes*

I would kill myself in a 3 hour graduation [emoji23] And the 36's are crazy, I would be signing autographs. But no, to be fair that girl finally got her 18 in December, so technically everyone can get into college now. Although out of our 10, only 3 have scores over a 25 (and those are a 32, 29, and 27). But all 4.0s so that's all that really matters right? *rolls eyes*

I did have a really good friend STRUGGLE to get a 20 and she had a high GPA. Around a 3.8 or 3.9 but she did take very challenging science courses. She was just never good at English or a great reader. I think she ended up taking it three or four times. I'm not sure what the deal with the ACT was but it did not click for her at all.

Sorry for the double post but I'm about to chuck my phone across the room. I keep trying to put my iPhone 6 on my iHome dock so it can charge and this message keeps popping up and I don't know what to do [emoji35]
80d3ca0019873dfff969bb4730e0bda0.jpg

ETA it literally just started charging after I posted this but I'm still annoyed.

UPDATE. After hours of research on instagram, i located the gym, the coach, and the athlete who stole the phone. I told my friend's parents and they got the police involved. Well they also emailed the coach/gym owner. He replied today knowing exactly which girl it was without any description. She broke her phone at Summit and stole my friends' as a possible replacement. The coach has possession of the phone and is overnight shipping it to my friend's house!! Props to the coach for handling this.
I hope he then removed her from his program.

How do you have more than one valedictorian? That's so lame - completely takes away from it, imo. But at least now I know if someone tells me they were valedictorian, I won't take it as impressively as I did when I was graduating. Grading and point systems these days are so weak. More of the "Everyone gets a trophy!" generation I guess.

Found out that there are 10 valedictorians in my graduating class of 108. They take anyone with a 4.0 all the way through. There is a 14 point difference in the highest and the lowest ACT scores among them. That's a lot more than it seems like.
I get some people aren't standardized testers but that's ridiculous.
Edited bc I got the class size wrong.
My school does it the same way. The final count isn't known yet, but my friend on ASB told me that as of last week we're at over 100 out of our class of 651. Thank god valedictorians don't speak at our graduation!

How do you have more than one valedictorian? That's so lame - completely takes away from it, imo. But at least now I know if someone tells me they were valedictorian, I won't take it as impressively as I did when I was graduating. Grading and point systems these days are so weak. More of the "Everyone gets a trophy!" generation I guess.
I didn't even graduate that long ago (like 6 years) and we had one. Hearing all these schools having multiple is so confusing and strange to me. Like what makes a person a valedictorian if there are multiple, ours was the highest GPA, that's it. I can see if there was a tie how there would be two or three, but not 100, that's crazy!

My high school didn't grade with the 4.0 GPA scale, we had the actual numbers out of 100. All As didn't mean a 4.0, it meant your average was between a 94.5 and 100 and we only had one valedictorian. I think when you use the 4.0 grading scale, you shouldn't be able to crown a valedictorian because you'll have multiple kids with 4.0s and that's not the point of a valedictorian.

My graduation was around 3 hours because I graduated with 800 kids in my class. Torture.

My high school didn't grade with the 4.0 GPA scale, we had the actual numbers out of 100. All As didn't mean a 4.0, it meant your average was between a 94.5 and 100 and we only had one valedictorian. I think when you use the 4.0 grading scale, you shouldn't be able to crown a valedictorian because you'll have multiple kids with 4.0s and that's not the point of a valedictorian.

My graduation was around 3 hours because I graduated with 800 kids in my class. Torture.
Here AP classes are weighted to a 5.0 scale, so getting an A in those classes would put your GPA over a 4.0. I believe our valedictorian had around a 4.5 GPA

ETA: And we had around 800 in my class as well, they tried to speed through our ceremony though because it was outside and there was a storm coming. Did it in about 2.5 hours and just in time as it started raining as we were all leaving.

Latest posts

Back