All-Star Nightline Episode

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Loved the dad's comments about how he grew to see it was truly a sport. Personally wish they showed a girl that was a base and how freaking strong they must be. Because let's just feed into the Suzy mom's that now must have their baby be a flyer. Overall it was good. I think it certainly showed the sport aspect. Loved MichaelEddie and his dad!!!! I wish they would balance it with showing some more families that don't have a mansion or spend thousands of dollars or leave part of their family - don't want the perception to be to kids who would want to try the sport that the only way to do it is to be rich but that was not the goal of it so not that big of deal. But still overall think for what it was it was positive and gave a glimpse into our world :)

After watching the Sr. Elite CNN piece I do say that tops the NBC nightline piece.

Iv been trying to find it like crazy, but nothing has worked. Suggestions, please? Links?

I googled "abc primetime nightline my extraordinary family" and found it on the abc web site. It comes on in 2 parts.

I honestly feel like everyone is too caught up in what every piece on All-star is made out to be. Every topic I see about "This article about cheer" is just yall saying its never good enough. We criticize and tear apart every local news story and internet article there is. Obviously some make the sport look pretty bad, and others look pretty average. This story was about the family's life and I think it put a nice, but not very deep idea about cheer. For what it was, it was really nice in my eyes. But why is it SO important they portray us in this perfect cheer image? Cheerleaders cant be TOO glamed up because our hair and makeup is too "Toddlers and Tiaras" and non professional but we don't want to be in Tshirt and baggy shorts with a messy pony because it will make us look trashy? We don't want people thinking all cheerleaders are extremely wealthy, we don't want people seeing us in sports bras (Even though that's what allot really wear?), we cant gloss over worlds but if people think worlds is the end all be all that's not good either? A young teenage girl cant complain to her mom? We want to show that we work hard and now that we do its not good enough because it doesn't show why exactly we do? They put a good light on us learning life lessons but its not good enough. They just cant win. WHY is it THIS important that non cheerleaders know the 'Truth"?

Cheerleaders cant be TOO glamed up because our hair and makeup is too "Toddlers and Tiaras"

Only commenting on this specific part, but the for the OP who posted the T&T reference which I agreed with---it's not that it's glamed up, it's the whining/attitude over getting glamed up. That is what I took from that comment.

Only commenting on this specific part, but the for the OP who posted the T&T reference which I agreed with---it's not that it's glamed up, it's the whining/attitude over getting glamed up. That is what I took from that comment.
I was taking a quote from that post, but I didn't mean just that post. Iv seen so many on the board complain of cheerleaders not taken seriously because our over the top glam. But that's just part of our sport, why are we stuck on what others think about our sparkly eye shadow and big hair? Iv personally never heard someone say "We cant take you seriously/You're not a real sport because of those lashes and bows" Like I said it was just a young teen complaining to her mom which is far from out of the norm of even the most well behaved teens. I think "Outsiders" could see it as that.

I was taking a quote from that post, but I didn't mean just that post. Iv seen so many on the board complain of cheerleaders not taken seriously because our over the top glam. But that's just part of our sport, why are we stuck on what others think about our sparkly eye shadow and big hair? Iv personally never heard someone say "We cant take you seriously/You're not a real sport because of those lashes and bows" Like I said it was just a young teen complaining to her mom which is far from out of the norm of even the most well behaved teens. I think "Outsiders" could see it as that.

is hair and makeup in the scoresheet? therefore, not a part of our sport and I can complain and say it's ridiculous. because it is.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

About the "snappy Gabi" issues:

Those of you saying she's so ridiculously bratty have clearly not been blessed to be Black and have a parent attempting to do your cheer hair.

If you'd heard my cheer hair conversations with my mom, you'd probably think I was Veruca Salt on steroids. Or probably going to grow up to be a juvenile delinquent.

About the "snappy Gabi" issues:

Those of you saying she's so ridiculously bratty have clearly not been blessed to be Black and have a parent attempting to do your cheer hair.

If you'd heard my cheer hair conversations with my mom, you'd probably think I was Veruca Salt on steroids. Or probably going to grow up to be a juvenile delinquent.

I'm black and if I spoke to my mom like that about hair or anything else, I would have been quickly put in my place quick fast and in a hurry. I even knew to keep my mouth shut with a hot comb in my head....

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

Back