Not saying I was swearing at her, but there was a lot of:

"Mom it's supposed to be like this."
"Ouch!"
"Girl if you don't stop and hold still.."
"It's not gonna stay like that!"
"It's not high enough" (the pony)
"Fix it yourself girl bye."

Because the struggle was real.
This sounds like CP and I and were white. Lol.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

^^^ Or a hot curling iron!

Not saying I was swearing at her, but there was a lot of:

"Mom it's supposed to be like this."
"Ouch!"
"Girl if you don't stop and hold still.."
"It's not gonna stay like that!"
"It's not high enough" (the pony)
"Fix it yourself girl bye."

Because the struggle was real.
My cp is the same. She's extremely respectful;I wish she would even think about cursing at me.....anyway,even just doing her regular everyday hair,is a drama filled broadway show. It gets so serious,that even the dog comes out to see what the problem is. We also have a lot of the same dialogue...

"Mama,you're burning me."
"No I'm not;that's just the grease....now stop and hold still."
"No,mama,that skin! You're burning me!"

I am so thankful for weaves and braids...

I was taught to keep my mouth shut and let a lone hot tear trickle down my face.

Southern problems

I was lucky to have a mom who was bad with the hot comb and doing relaxers so my older sister did it. I'm unlucky that I won't relax my own hair and my sister installs more fear in me than my mom. I quickly learned to shut up and let it burn. Yep it's a southern problem.

My cp is the same. She's extremely respectful;I wish she would even think about cursing at me.....anyway,even just doing her regular everyday hair,is a drama filled broadway show. It gets so serious,that even the dog comes out to see what the problem is. We also have a lot of the same dialogue...

"Mama,you're burning me."
"No I'm not;that's just the grease....now stop and hold still."
"No,mama,that skin! You're burning me!"

I am so thankful for weaves and braids...

Oh yes.

Karma is that I now have nieces who do the same.

I volunteered to do my younger niece's hair for a pageant once.

We're all relaxer-free (my mom, sister, nieces, etc) so getting her hair pageant-ready, it involved washing, straightening, then subsequently curling and pinning it all up.

She was pretty hung-ho for the pageant (she was 8 and had asked her mom to do it) until it was hair time the night before.

My typically non-dramatic niece pulled out all the "OMG YOU'RE BURNING MY EAR!!!!!" and "THERE IS SOAP IN MY EYES OH MY GOD I'M BLIND" stops (note: I was holding her ear, and the grease dripped on it a teeny bit, I'd never burn her) to the point that the NEIGHBOR came over. She laughed when she saw that it was just "hair night."

That was her first and last pageant.

Oh yes.

Karma is that I now have nieces who do the same.

I volunteered to do my younger niece's hair for a pageant once.

We're all relaxer-free (my mom, sister, nieces, etc) so getting her hair pageant-ready, it involved washing, straightening, then subsequently curling and pinning it all up.

She was pretty hung-ho for the pageant (she was 8 and had asked her mom to do it) until it was hair time the night before.

My typically non-dramatic niece pulled out all the "OMG YOU'RE BURNING MY EAR!!!!!" and "THERE IS SOAP IN MY EYES OH MY GOD I'M BLIND" stops (note: I was holding her ear, and the grease dripped on it a teeny bit, I'd never burn her) to the point that the NEIGHBOR came over. She laughed when she saw that it was just "hair night."

That was her first and last pageant.
CP has been natural pretty much her whole life (6 months of relaxer in the 6th grade,until dad & I saw more damaged then we like and transitioned her back to the motherland as we call it);my cp grabbed her dad's family hair-thick,tightly curled,long and lots of hair per sq.diameter-I on the other hand,have short,loosely curled hair & not tons of it-I can pull it back with just water and a brush;cp's hair would laugh in my face if I tried that. While I love that she grabbed his hair,learning how to tame it,is still always a learning experience!

CP also did pageants;besides hot combing her hair the night before (which,still a struggle) I paid a vendor to do her h/m. I have enough to do on pageant without fight her with hair. We will leave that to the pros;everyone has a job and doing multiple hair & make up changes on pageant,is not one of mine!

CP has been natural pretty much her whole life (6 months of relaxer in the 6th grade,until dad & I saw more damaged then we like and transitioned her back to the motherland as we call it);my cp grabbed her dad's family hair-thick,tightly curled,long and lots of hair per sq.diameter-I on the other hand,have short,loosely curled hair & not tons of it-I can pull it back with just water and a brush;cp's hair would laugh in my face if I tried that. While I love that she grabbed his hair,learning how to tame it,is still always a learning experience!

CP also did pageants;besides hot combing her hair the night before (which,still a struggle) I paid a vendor to do her h/m. I have enough to do on pageant without fight her with hair. We will leave that to the pros;everyone has a job and doing multiple hair & make up changes on pageant,is not one of mine!

Yeah. All of this makes me glad that I have a little boy. My hair is more than enough for me to deal with!

I was lucky to have a mom who was bad with the hot comb and doing relaxers so my older sister did it. I'm unlucky that I won't relax my own hair and my sister installs more fear in me than my mom. I quickly learned to shut up and let it burn. Yep it's a southern problem.

Yeah my mom was bad at hot combing too and then if you cried she'd hit you with a "Imma give you something to cry about".....which never made any sense since we were clearly already crying. So eventually I learned to keep it in.

We didn't grow up wearing tons of braids (I don't think I ever had braids actually) and I've never worn a bead a day in my life so I fortunately never experienced that struggle.

Yeah my mom was bad at hot combing too and then if you cried she'd hit you with a "Imma give you something to cry about".....which never made any sense since we were clearly already crying. So eventually I learned to keep it in.

We didn't grow up wearing tons of braids (I don't think I ever had braids actually) and I've never worn a bead a day in my life so I fortunately never experienced that struggle.

My poor cp wore braids and those little ponytail holder balls so much,that she could write a tell all book about it. I had drawers full of them,when she was young.

My poor cp wore braids and those little ponytail holder balls so much,that she could write a tell all book about it. I had drawers full of them,when she was young.

So did I! It sucked when the sticky white elastics from the ponytail holder balls got stuck in my hair :confused:

My poor mom had to buy a new pack ever week, eventually she stop using them.

My mom did my hair all 13 years of cheer. We fought pretty much every single time. It was tradition though and I think that's why she never got to the point where she said I have to do it myself (though she did threaten it many times when I was a brat while she was doing my hair).

Are you talking about these devils? And they'd get tangled in your hair and stretch out and the white elastic would show.... and then sometimes they managed to pop your knuckles. Ugh hated them.

One time my dad did my hair with like 400 of them. He was so proud of himself. It was the first time in my life I felt embarrassment

retro-ponytail-holders.jpg

And this picture was labeled "retro ponytail holders".... I'm so old

Are you talking about these devils? And they'd get tangled in your hair and stretch out and the white elastic would show.... and then sometimes they managed to pop your knuckles. Ugh hated them.

One time my dad did my hair with like 400 of them. He was so proud of himself. It was the first time in my life I felt embarrassment

I loved wearing those when I was little!

My mom made me the best pony tails with those. I could never figure out how she managed to wrap them so tight and still have the ball perfectly centered in the middle of each. I guess she was gifted.

Back