All-Star No Tolerance For Underage Drinking At Worlds?!

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

A friend of mine told me of a coach who buys their team alcohol. Now, this is second hand information, and I won't share the team name, but there you go. Apparently, alcohol is bought for them throughout the season, and was purchased for them this weekend. The kids are proud to be known as the "drunk" and "party" team. I personally think the coach should be shot, but that's just me. There are plenty of ways for these underage kids to get alcohol...including bringing it in their suitcase. I'm sure some of them pre-gamed at the hotel before they went to the block party. Personally, I think the whole thing should be 86ed.

A friend of mine told me of a coach who buys their team alcohol. Now, this is second hand information, and I won't share the team name, but there you go. Apparently, alcohol is bought for them throughout the season, and was purchased for them this weekend. The kids are proud to be known as the "drunk" and "party" team. I personally think the coach should be shot, but that's just me. There are plenty of ways for these underage kids to get alcohol...including bringing it in their suitcase. I'm sure some of them pre-gamed at the hotel before they went to the block party. Personally, I think the whole thing should be 86ed.

I know a coach who started out coaching when she was still in college and took some of her senior girls to frat parties with her. Crazy stuff. My question for your post is...where are the parents?? If that's true I don't get how not a single person has said anything to their parents, and if so how the parents aren't up in arms.

If you really want a gym that has a zero tolerance policy and actually enforces it, they'd need to do random drug testing. It's drastic but it works. At my high school there was a program where all athletes had to sign a pledge agreeing that we could be randomly drug tested at any point... I know several people who got caught and not only got suspended from however many games for their sport but also from school since, well, it's illegal.

If you want results and want the problem to stop you have to turn to solutions like this which are enforced by the gym and parents, not USASF or Disney.

I have also heard of gym owners and coaches providing alcohol for celebrations, I have also heard of athletes packing it into the suitcase and the coaches not finding out about it untill well after.

Whether kids were drunk or not (I wouldn't know) the block party was very fun for me, my sister, and my brothers team that we went with. We met new ride buddies from Ultimate Athletics, and I thought the Canada singing was fun! We obviously joined in :)

Personally, by being at the block party and seeing it first hand, I would hold more accountability to the parents than the coaches. The block party is a voluntary thing. It's not mandatory and it's not in anyway related to competing at worlds. Parents either need to say 1) I'm coming with you, or 2) you're NOT going. It's that simple. JMO

As a parent of 1 over age and 3 underage kids, I am not worrying about coaches or anyone else to step in and take care of a situation like this, if I found out my kids were underage drinking anywhere to include worlds, you would really witness me handling the situation and I can guarantee it will be handled. It is totally unacceptable on any level. These underage kids belong to some parents somewhere and thats where it starts. They will soon be overage and they can choose then to drink at their leisure but until then there is a law and it states 21 and over can drink until then don't. Yes I know everybody has tried something before their time, but blatenly and at Worlds? And its no excuse where they are from, I can't go to China and start breakdancing in the middle of the highway with cars racing by or set up a drug corner and start selling drugs because I am not stupid, I know you can't do it, its called common sense and being responsible. Everyone attending Cheerleading worlds knows what its about. Having fun and trying to win, while enjoying sunny Florida!! Leave the drinking to the grown folks, there is a reason it has an age limit... follow it!! This isn't aimed at anyone on these boards, just to the situation itself!!

I agree much of the responsibility falls on the coaches...after all these kids are THEIR athletes and represent THEIR gym. But like it's been pointed out, many coaches engage in the same behavior. You have coaches who post pictures of themselves drinking... I'm not talking about a simple wine glass in the hand or sitting on the table, but holding bottles bottoms up with the thumbs up sign, taking shots out of their shot glass necklaces.... no names mentioned because I do like those coaches. But it doesn't exactly set the best example. Even though it's legal for them, the fact is that kids underage look up to them.

I think my "defensive" standpoint earlier comes from the fact that I was raised under VERY strict rules. I had the parents who never drank themselves, so it was ESPECIALLY unacceptable for me to ever think of doing so. They weren't the "oh crap we have a teenager it's going to happen, let's be prepared and talk some sense into her.." type parents. They were the "drink once and you're throwing your entire life away with this unthinkable sin" type parents. I always envied my friends with the "we don't want you to drink, but it's high school and we know you probably will at some point... please use your head and mostly do NOT drive. we're even willing to come pick you up. we'd be disappointed but want your safety" type parents. I was in high school. I thought I ruled the world. I was going to do what I wanted to do, despite the rules. Since my rules were stricter now I just decided to sneak around and do it instead. My point is I certainly don't believe turning a blind eye is the answer but no matter how strict the rules or how hard you come down on the issue, it will still be there and sometimes make it even worse. Am I saying to not even bother enforcing rules? Absolutely not! I'm saying don't be naive enough to think they won't still be broken by some. I'll say it like I've been saying in my posts about the Bangkok issue... look to the authority. Look to those responsible for the athletes. It's up to them to enforce the rules.

My parents took the "we know it will happen, just be safe" attitude ONLY once I was 18 and in college on my own. Before that they would have KILLED me if they found out I was drinking (which I never did in hs, maybe I just had lame friends).

As a 16 year old I don't drink. I know people who do and I don't see the fun of it at all. What's the fun of making a fool out of yourself and waking up the next day sick to your stomach and not knowing what you did the night before? I know parents who provide their kids the alcohol because "they know they are going to do it anyway" and these kids are walking alcoholics, always wanting to drink and party. It's sad that these people can't go one weekend without drinking and end up putting a bad reputation for themselves and their gym. If these parents aren't with their kids then it should be up to the gym owners and coaches. There should be bed checks and things like that because I see no problem with it. It is Worlds weekend, have some respect for yourselves and your gym.

we have so many laws to be honest if i were from a different country id just follow the basic ones! its not like anyones lives were at risk. imo

I thought it was pretty standard information that the US has a drinking age of 21. We're like the only country in the world where it's that high. Their coaches should have warned them. If I was traveling internationally, I would research some of the basic laws - and drinking age is a pretty basic one.

I thought it was pretty standard information that the US has a drinking age of 21. We're like the only country in the world where it's that high. Their coaches should have warned them. If I was traveling internationally, I would research some of the basic laws - and drinking age is a pretty basic one.
i guess agreed, i dont know i just dont feel like i should hold it against them! its not me getting drunk so i dont mind

is this a joke? what year is it now? anyone can get anything if they want to!! it takes a small amount of effort... you will learn this if you go to a college campus for a weekend.

No, it wasnt a joke it was a serious question.. and the year is 2011 incase you forgot since you asked.
well where sthe nearest liqour store to the disney park?

we have so many laws to be honest if i were from a different country id just follow the basic ones! its not like anyones lives were at risk. imo

It is the travelers responsibility to know the law wherever they are traveling. It is not a secret that the drinking age in the US is 21 since it is posted at all bars and liquor stores. I have traveled to other countries and everytime I have my travel agent has made it a point to make sure I knew the laws wherever I was traveling. I have traveled over to the middle east and let me tell you they don't care where you are from, if you break their law you are in jail.

And yes it does put people's lives in risk. Someone can die from excessive drinking and can harm others if they are drunk. Those kids that were throwing up all over the place, that is because their body was poisioned from alcohol. Anyone who took health class in high school would know that. Alcohol not only harms the person drinking but harms everyone involved with that person.

I have my Passport handy and this is what it says :
"Remember, while in a foreign country, you are subject to its laws. Penalties for violating local laws, even unknowingly, can be more severe than in the U.S. for similar offenses. Deal only with authorized agents when exchanging money, or purchasing souvenirs. If in trouble, contact the nearest U.S.s embassy or consulate. If you are arrested demand to see the U.S. Consul."

Back