Order Of Practice - Question To Cheerleaderes

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jan 15, 2012
I am a tumbling instructor for a gym in NY, and as well as tumbling I also help build skill for all of the teams in my gym. While observing different practices I noticed that each one was ran completely different. Some stretched first while some conditioned first. Some started off with tumbling, others stunting.

I am just wondering how other gyms run their practices (especially the tumbling part)

If you have a fun practice, or even a boring one you hate, walk me though your practice or tumbling class step by step!

Thanks!
-Coach Matt

At tumbling we run and then do some conditioning, like lunges, line to line jumps, that sort of thing. Then we stretch and do line tumbling and then we go work on whatever we want.
At practice we run, stretch, flyer stretch and then we either warm everything like if we were at a comp and then run it full out and work on everything that didn't hit. Or we just start working on things and start going full out near the end of practice. Hope that helps:)

Which gym do you work at?! Just Curious i feel like ive seen you b4. :)

& for tumbling we usually do basics like roundoffs cartwheels punch fronts and then we do corners. like running tumbling out the corners.

At 2 hour practices we run, stretch and do jumps for about 20 minutes, warm up tumbling for 10 minutes. Then we run the routine full out then gradually take things out the more we hit them.
At 3 hour practices we tumble at the begging of practice for a hour then run the routine full out for the last 2 hours and gradually take things out.
At tumbling we usually start with roundoff rebounds, front walkovers, then roundoff series, punch fronts, power hurdle roundoff tucks all down panels... then we work on new things from the corner

Tumbling- starts off by
I am a tumbling instructor for a gym in NY, and as well as tumbling I also help build skill for all of the teams in my gym. While observing different practices I noticed that each one was ran completely different. Some stretched first while some conditioned first. Some started off with tumbling, others stunting.

I am just wondering how other gyms run their practices (especially the tumbling part)

If you have a fun practice, or even a boring one you hate, walk me though your practice or tumbling class step by step!

Thanks!
-Coach Matt
our tumbling starts off with running a few laps to get your muscles warm, stretching, basics down the panels, then we branch off into running or standing tumbling. we condition at the end of practice.
at regular practice, we start the same, running, then stretching. then we usually do a couple tight walkthroughs with no stunts/tumbling/jumps, just to I guess start practice. then we'll do a 'stunt warmup walkthrough', or a 'tumbling/jump warmup walkthrough', and then eventually get to fullouts. we also do partner conditioning at the end of practice. we run to two songs, then have to do various conditions. :)

CP's classes go:
Stretch
Warm up tumbling
Running tumbling
Standing tumbling
Conditioning

They usually do different stations during running and standing, where some involve some sort of conditioning. Once they did conditioning first and they pretty much hated it.

My gym does warm up first always.

we have different times for stunt, tumbling and conditioning. So for example Monday we have stunt classes, this includes the running the routine, then Tuesday tumbling classes, Wednesday conditioning ect. This way the cheerleaders know what day everything is on and what they are expected to do.

for my gyms tumbling classes
1st we do a few warm up laps
then we stretch
and then we have stations that we go around ex. handstand drilla
then we work on standing or running
and lastly we condition

Usually, 25 jumping jacks, 25 high knees, 25 butt kicks then stretch, or 100 jumping jacks (20 to front, 20 to right, 20 to back, 20 to left, 20 more to front) then stretch. After stretching, sometimes we warm up stunts first, and sometimes we go on Rod and warm up running/standing tumbling then warm up stunts, then run routine full tech, then run full stunts and jumps, then it usually just depends. :)

Debbie love has some great practice tips on her website. I highly recommend looking there.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

During summer we usually ran, stretched, jumped, then we either tumbled or stunted depending on which floor we were on.

During comp season it's usually stretch, stunt, competition warmup, then full out a couple times depending on how well we do.

I really hate stunting before tumbling.

We condition last, always. We start warming up stunts after streches and warm of jumps and dance. Then we usually do some tumbling and full out routines

Back