All-Star Outside Of Scoring What Do Coaches Find Frustrating About Competitions?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

well im not a coach, but i hate the competition food. seriously, all they sell is french fries and hot dogs and things like that. i cant eat before i compete because i feel so bogged down from the food. cant they sell fruit and granola bars or things like that?
I have to agree with you on this on! That's one thing I loved about Spirit Sports! They had salads, sandwiches, fruit, etc.

I agree with blunchin Having something for the coaches to drink/eat would be nice. Also a dedicated coaches room. In between running from warmups to competition floor, I'd like a place (preferably WITHOUT cheer music) to get away from the craziness and just sit, go over scoresheets without prying eyes, or talk to my coaching friends.

Warmups that have enough time on each mat, with music on the full floor.

Stop with the games and dancing before awards. Just get down to business.

Judges...please make your handwriting legible. I can't implement your suggestions if I don't know what you're suggesting.
I see that this was posted by a couple east coast coaches, in Cali and the West Coast I can't remember a competition that did not have a coaches room with yummy food and drink, when I saw your post I was scratching my head wondering how this could be and they are not feeding and hydrating you , especially in Jersey....you ladies can get crazed lol. ;) I think emails are in order for sure!

The rude security, I bet you that if I turned around and treated security the way that they treat us they would not be too happy.

I may be incorrect, but I've always assumed that dance parties, tumble/jump offs are used to fill the time between the last performance and the scores, placements, getting ready for awards etc happens in the background

The dance parties I don't mind because they aren't that long but the jump and tumble off's take about an hr to 1 hr 1/2 and scoresheets do not take that long to count if you keep people doing it. The bigger competitions have a separate place that they hold them too.

I hate when parents are late! What I had to do in the past was for ever minute the athlete was late, that was how long they stayed with me after they competed (keeping them from doing other fun things....especially at UCA at Disney or at beach comps). I can't do that now though bc I have about 4 teams and I don't have time to "babysit".
On all the other notes: I LOVE using Cheersport as any example! They are a HUGE comp and they always seem to be either on time or off by maybe 5 minutes. I never understand how smaller comps can't get that accomplished. Their coach's accommodations are also legit. You can watch warmups while eating and drinking or watch one of the tv's they had set up showing each arena! LOVE CHEERSPORT!!! The only complaint I have about Cheersport is that I wish they would label the mats in warmups better. The staff was knowledgeable enough though.

No water for athletes in warmup...
Do I need to carry 500 water bottles in my 1/2 ton backpack?

Also...staff that cannot answer questions or are clueless as to what is going on.
EP's that think it's ok to change the location of the comp the week of...so it's 45 min further away...
EP's that wait til the end of the day to do awards...hello it's 2012!
EP's that shove 1000 people into a tiny room for awards with no mic and no seating at Nationals.

I'm done :)

The best run competition I've been to this season at Battle at the Boardwalk in Atlantic City run by Epic. It was on-time, the staff was very helpful and knowledgable too. "

I am guessing you're not aware of the scoring, mistakenly applied legalities that affected the outcome.. Particularly Worlds bids? I heard absolute horror stories.

Can we get back on track? This thread is about what frustrates coaches at competitions OTHER THAN SCORING. Tighten it up people! :)

EP's that wait til the end of the day to do awards...hello it's 2012!

I'm confused by this...do you mean do all teams in one awards at end of day?

I am guessing you're not aware of the scoring, mistakenly applied legalities that affected the outcome.. Particularly Worlds bids? I heard absolute horror stories.

Please explain.

From that stand point, yes we even had issues. Panel A judges during Let's Meet scored our pyramid 2 full points lower in difficulty than the Panel B Final Performance Judges. Their scoring was all over the place. We also saw teams who dropped 4-5 stunts throughout their routine and bust in tumbling take 1st place...over teams who hit clean or maybe bobbled once. Odd.

But in terms of how it was run and the knowledge of the staff in warm ups and how well the warm ups were run, it was the best run competition we attended.

Please explain.
Andre,

Panel A and Panel B judges (for our two teams anyway) were completely off in terms of the difficulty scores. Panel A for the Let's Meet section scored us 2 full points lower in difficulty on our pyramid than Panel B for the final performance. We talked to Epic and they said that they were aware of the situation and that they had talked to their judges about how to score difficulty. Well, too little too late I guess.

We saw teams in our divisions drop 4-5 stunts throughout their routine but win the division over teams who either hit or bobbled once. We were all standing there mouths open during awards.

Oddly enough, Epic didn't release the scores, only placement results.

Andre,

Panel A and Panel B judges (for our two teams anyway) were completely off in terms of the difficulty scores. Panel A for the Let's Meet section scored us 2 full points lower in difficulty on our pyramid than Panel B for the final performance. We talked to Epic and they said that they were aware of the situation and that they had talked to their judges about how to score difficulty. Well, too little too late I guess.

We saw teams in our divisions drop 4-5 stunts throughout their routine but win the division over teams who either hit or bobbled once. We were all standing there mouths open during awards.

Oddly enough, Epic didn't release the scores, only placement results.

Thank you.

I should have been more specific. Meanj mentioned "mistakenly applied legalities that affected the outcome" and I would like that explained.

Back